Liberty University

pilotforlife33

Has anyone received the bachelors of science in aeronautics from Liberty University online degree program?
I was looking into going there and just wanted to know if it was worth it.

I know a guy who is completing his degree there, and I've had a look at a couple of his textbooks. Honest appraisal: they are written (and look) like the textbooks I used in high school. Lots of pictures, big print, glossy graphic covers. It doesn't look as though the classes provide much of a challenge. So, if being challenged and actually learning something is your definition of worth, from what I've seen it might not be worth it. But if your definition of worth is checking the block so a major will look at you, maybe it is worth it.

I know a guy who is completing his degree there, and I've had a look at a couple of his textbooks. Honest appraisal: they are written (and look) like the textbooks I used in high school. Lots of pictures, big print, glossy graphic covers. It doesn't look as though the classes provide much of a challenge. So, if being challenged and actually learning something is your definition of worth, from what I've seen it might not be worth it. But if your definition of worth is checking the block so a major will look at you, maybe it is worth it.
Meh, I passed some classes in college without even buying the textbook. It's more about the professors than the textbooks.

I guess its more checking the box. I can always get an MBA if needed.
MBAs are not a magic bullet. Look carefully at the starting salary of recent grads compared to the total cost of the program. Lots of people have spent tens of thousands of dollars earning an MBA, only to experience a very modest bump in pay. When that happens, the payback period may exceed a person's retirement age. Literally.

A college that teaches creationism as science shouldn't be accredited. They certainly don't need your money.

I don't think they teach it as science. I think they teach it as a (widely held) theory on the origins of the universe. Has nothing to do with science.

I don't think they teach it as science. I think they teach it as a (widely held) theory on the origins of the universe. Has nothing to do with science.

While it certainly has nothing to do with science, they are indeed teaching it as such. In fact, they have a required 'Science' class on the 'History of Life' with the description:

'An interdisciplinary study of the origin and history of life in the universe. Faculty will draw from science, religion, history, and philosophy in presenting the evidence and arguments for creation and against evolution.'

Way to increase your chances of your resume meeting the round file.

Well lots of people have degrees in philosophical/religious studies. I don't think that qualifies their resumés for the "round file"... :)

MBAs are not a magic bullet. Look carefully at the starting salary of recent grads compared to the total cost of the program. Lots of people have spent tens of thousands of dollars earning an MBA, only to experience a very modest bump in pay. When that happens, the payback period may exceed a person's retirement age. Literally.

Well an MBA can just further you along into the corporate side of an airline or other management areas if your medical gets taken or you are no longer able to fly. It would be more a backup plan if needed. I agree with you on the modest pay. It would be more the business side of aviation for the reason of getting an MBA not for the pay.

Back