Let the PDT rumors begin!

Hey thanks guys. Put my mind at east a bit. All these stories ive been hearing about them giving people hell in CQ to get rid of them had me somewhat worried... at least the people who have been around less then a year.

As far as resumes. Talked to BT a while back, and asked him about potential hiring etc. and he whipped out a HUGE stack of resumes he has to pick from, then said there is even a bigger stack in the cabinet of resumes that don't qualify, competitive was 1,500TT. And this was months ago, probably around August still. I can only imagine the size of the pile now. Glad though they are at least being a little optimistic about the 2nd half of 09.

Stoki, seriously, don't stress about CQ. Talk to other pilots that have been down there and get their gouge. I was down there a few months ago. No problem. Let me know if you need some details from my cq.

Untrue about lots of people getting the boot before the 1yr is up. Just people getting worked up over recurrent.

Seriously not trying to be a debbie downer but the reason why I say that was my friend just got the boot during recurrent. It was 8 days before his year was up. There were 5 other FOs there waiting to get the axe too.

Take it for what its worth, just saying that its not second hand knowledge....

If pilots were being fired in droves the union would not stand for it and neither would the rest of us line pilots. Every year there are a few people that simply don't make it. If you study and know your proceduers you WILL pass. But good idea to freak somebody out going down there for his first time. I'm sure he appreciates it.

hahaha, Thanks. I'll shoot some of you guys a PM as time gets closer to get an idea what to expect, for now i'll just go over some procedures.

Scarring the #### out of someone has its pros and cons I suppose.

Pros - You study harder and are more prepared

Cons - You're scared.

:D

But good idea to freak somebody out going down there for his first time. I'm sure he appreciates it.

Nice.

Oh, and no problem.

Maybe we can just hide the truth from everyone, that way no one is "scared" or "freaked out". I sure wouldn't want to hurt anyones feelings.:whatever:

If it was a secondary source, I wouldn't have said it. I can't help when one of my good friends stands in front of me and gives me the lowdown about what happened to him. Ive flown with him alot, know what kind of pilot he is, and what hes capable of.

And hes not a crap pilot.

The Union stood right in front of him and told him there is nothing that they can do since he is not off of probation yet. That is what they told all of them. Then they were all asked to either resign or be terminated. Crazy stuff...but it happens.

hahaha, Thanks. I'll shoot some of you guys a PM as time gets closer to get an idea what to expect, for now i'll just go over some procedures.

Scarring the #### out of someone has its pros and cons I suppose.

Pros - You study harder and are more prepared

Cons - You're scared.

:D

Here's the hit list items...the absolutely "DO NOT's"

DO NOT arrive at CQ without your manuals, Jepps, POH..etc..being non-compliant and out of date.

DO NOT arrive at CG in jeans and tennis shoes....Yes, it has been done and that kid is lucky to still have his job.

DO NOT arrive at CQ without knowing your callouts and engine limitation charts

DO NOT arrive at CQ with an attitude of "But that's how we do it on the line!!"

DO NOT arrive at CQ without enough systems and weather knowledge to pass the written by at least 90% even though you only need 85%.

Essentially arrive there as it was initial. Question nothing that is issued to you as a directive regardless of how much your years worth of line experience tells you that it's completely stupid. Remember that the sim has a lag and is hyper sensitive compared to the real aircraft. I highly recommend familiarizing yourself with the single engine specials for IAD and ROA.

The scenarios this year focus on engine failure/fire after V1 and minor hydraulic problems. While in the LOFT portion of your sim session remember to do ALL checklists...yes..even the one's that few do on the line...i.e. cruise, parking. Go over your approach briefing procedures. Ask lots of questions in class. Go there wanting to be better, wanting to learn and take in the experience of the instructors and you won't have a single problem. Arrive at CQ with a hint of "I know better" and they will eat you for breakfast and crap you out by lunch. Show up with the attitude that you are wrong about everything..and you need to be corrected..."please oh mighty training department save me from my bad line habits" and they just might invite you to go to lunch with them.....Yeah I know...But that's how it really is....Sad.... ain't it!

Thanks, i'll keep those things in mind. I was planning to just go about it like it was the first day of training. Figured you can't go wrong that way.

On a side note. Is anybody else here on reserve?

I sit multiple reserve stretches ALLL week doing NOTHING. Then they ALWAYS call me on the very last day and give me some sort of trip. Is it coincidence or do they do this on purpose? Not a big deal, but starting to get annoying just from the thought that it seems they are doing it on purpose to try and catch me off guard or something.

I don't work for, nor have I worked for, PDT.

However, there are some universal truths to the recurrent cycle.

1) This maybe the most important one. Keep up on your studying from intial through out the year. Put down the "People" in cruise, and pick up a systems book. Take the GOM/FOM or whatever you call it, to the crapper with you on overnights. Get yourself to read one chapter of each per trip. When you are overly bored with it, and you have it "memorized", you almost know it quite right.

2) If your books aren't up to date, that means you haven't kept up and prolly will have a rough go. I'll give you a hint. If it's in a bulletin, it WILL be an issue in recurrent. Any procedure changes will be hot topics.

3) Know how to fly the profiles. All of them. and yes, instructors know you will be rusty flying NDBs. V1 cuts will be rough, unless you've been unfortunate enough to practice it for real on line.

4) Know your emergency checklists, and when to call for them.

5) As a former groundschool instructor, right seat girl is correct. Use recurrent to re-learn what you may have forgot. Don't tell any instructor "Well, that's a dumb procedure...on the line we do XXX" There's a chance your instructor wrote the procedure. Also, you pop up on the radar. There are mechanisms to produce change to the books. Use a form, email, or whatever. Back up your suggestion with appropriate references to FAR,8900 and AC's as they apply.

I'd say 99% of pilots do fine. Historically though, it seems that there are waves that go on of issues. Mine were never course induced as over the year it was the same course. It seemed though, all the problems would be grouped up.

Just a note of caution. I've seen some fine sticks though, who haven't kept up on academics, and cockpit management, get sidelined due to failing to keep up with ALL facets of the job

I can't guarantee you might not have a bad sim day, but if you do the above, after a couple recurrents they'll become more of an annoyance than an excitement.

Back