Lessons Learned Today

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
(Or, how to lose your Zen-Like cool in just a few hours)

Lesson 1 - When flying out of AUS, do your flight planning for a long XC originating from another airport, such as Bird's Nest, Lockhart, Taylor, Lakeway or anyplace other than AUS. The reason is that no one ever leaves you more than 7 gallons in the airplane and you're going to have to stop for fuel before you even really start your flight. No, the owner does not want you buying gas at AUS. Remain calm. It's all good.

Lesson 2 - When doing your pre-flight and you determine that the alternator belt is a gnat's sneeze away from being completely severed, remain calm. Simply go into the FBO and look at the schedule for the other 152 you can fly. It's all good. You are agitated, but still calm. Notify the owner when you see him with a student. He needs to ground that plane ASAP.

Lesson 3 - When you go into the FBO to check the schedule and find out that the website for scheduling is down, you can go from agitated to angry. The plane you want is on the ground, but you don't know who has it booked. You can't check. You're now 40 minutes past your intended departure time. Be angry, but don't choke someone.

Lesson 4 - Resigning yourself to the fact that it's just not going to happen today, you check the schedule just for fun on your phone on the way home. And it's back up. The plane is now grounded, but meanwhile, someone has sneaked in and booked the other plane you wanted. The third plane you can fly, a 172, has just been grounded for the same problem as the first 152 you wanted. At this point, you may pound your fists into the passenger seat of your car and scream vile epithets about the parentage of anyone who has possibly touched the airplane in the last 15 years.

:banghead:

<sigh>

Really wanted to do a long XC today - was going to fly to FST and back - see some of that pretty W. Texas country and knock out the long XC requirement for the commercial ticket at the same time. I have so little time to fly these days it was sort of precious to me.

Sorry to hear that man, that just sucks. I have to say that airplane ownership has been pretty nice (never mind the $800 fuel sending unit a week after getting the thing! :)). Keeps the scheduling WAY easy. Hopefully, you can get it knocked out soon.

Sorry to hear that man, that just sucks. I have to say that airplane ownership has been pretty nice (never mind the $800 fuel sending unit a week after getting the thing! :)). Keeps the scheduling WAY easy. Hopefully, you can get it knocked out soon.

Thanks. Spent a lot of time thinking about owning a plane yesterday. The sad part is that my increased interest/focus in doing so does nothing to alter the financial realities. Without an IFR ticket and IFR-capable airplane, though, the value wouldn't be there for me.

I took a look at another FBO at AUS - I figured their schedule might be a little looser since their rates were considerably higher. Not so, though. You'd think that a high-priced instructional outfit would be suffering right now and desperate for students/renters, but that's not the case here. Even their DA-42 is heavily booked.

Oh well.

It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. I am glad I am not renting anymore, the rentals around here are booked almost non-stop...there sure isn't a slowdown in the instructional world in these parts! And rent a plane for a weekend get-a-way? Forget it.

When I went out yesterday morning, there were 6 airplanes IN THE PATTERN at my little rinky-dink airport. I have never seen it busier!

Spent a lot of time thinking about owning a plane yesterday. The sad part is that my increased interest/focus in doing so does nothing to alter the financial realities.

Buy a plane and sell 10 shares to people in your same situation.

Sucks to hear man, I know your pain. The last few weeks I have had no time to fly during the week, only weekends. My school only has 3 172's and the last 3 weekends 1 of the 3 has been out for its 100 hour. The other two were being used for instruction. At this rate it is going to take me a year to get my IFR ticket.

On the other hand, it is making me rethink my decision to wait until I have over 100 hours before I go for my tailwheel. If I have that I can get my XC time in, it is cheaper and since it is slower I will get more time flying the same distance as opposed to flying a 172 so I can reach the 50 XC requirement faster.

Everytime you and your passengers walk away from the airplane and the airplane can be used again, you have had a great day in aviation.

I understand your frustrations man. I had a rough day yesterday and will be easing the pain with a few adult drinkies. You and the ladyfriend coming?

Thanks. Spent a lot of time thinking about owning a plane yesterday. The sad part is that my increased interest/focus in doing so does nothing to alter the financial realities. Without an IFR ticket and IFR-capable airplane, though, the value wouldn't be there for me.

I took a look at another FBO at AUS - I figured their schedule might be a little looser since their rates were considerably higher. Not so, though. You'd think that a high-priced instructional outfit would be suffering right now and desperate for students/renters, but that's not the case here. Even their DA-42 is heavily booked.

Oh well.

Hope you've got good credit, I just got shot down for a 16k loan for my airplane, and I've got decent credit for a young guy. The banks are a little stingy in this economic cycle.

Hope you've got good credit, I just got shot down for a 16k loan for my airplane, and I've got decent credit for a young guy. The banks are a little stingy in this economic cycle.

I try not to do the credit thing.

I do keep a credit card solely for business travel, which all gets reimbursed.

I would pay cash for a plane, preferably. If the right one came along, I MIGHT finance some of it, but that's unlikely. Just have to wait.

bummer man. too bad you dont live near TLH. my fbo isnt all that busy and we've got 3 172's 2 150's and a seneca. we always have to fill them up before we taxi to parking and their maintaned well.

i can feel your fustration though. weather hasnt been too good the past two days and i just found out my ppl checkride has been moved from tomorrow to friday. i was so ready to be a pilot tomorrow.... now i have to deal with my instructor leaving, (he leaves for law school on thursday) and hoping the weather holds up for my checkride on friday because i leave for a week on saturday morning.

its been a fustrating day for me, but as i see now, its just another day in the world of aviation. hold tight man. :bandit:

Back