Leaving my Brazilian lady

Lee D

I mentioned this on another thread, but I will make it official. I have spent nearly seven years on the Brasilia and have truly loved almost every moment of it. I love flying it, and I had hoped I might make it to the so called “big leagues” with zero RJ time. But I have decided to head over to the dark side of the force flying the CRJ. I will miss flying the Brasilia and the smaller, tighter knit community of pilots and station peeps that go along with it. I have met many people while working on it that will be my friends for the rest of my life.

Folks if you ever get a chance to fly a turbo prop, especially here at SKYW, seriously consider taking it, even for just a year. Your mileage may vary, but I really enjoyed my time on it. Lots of good old stick time into both big and very little airports, in all kinds of weather. I promise you will be a better pilot for it.

I’ve been fortunate to fly the Brasilia into most of the airports that had service for it in the past seven years. From as far South as Louisiana and Texas, throughout the West and out to the Pacific coast. I have great memories flying it along the Pacific, from as far South as San Diego and North up to Portland and Seattle and most places in between. I’ve flown her in roasting hot, Las Vegas weather and nearly Arctic cold, snowy Wyoming weather. I’ve had amazingly clear days where you could see for hundreds of miles and days in the soaking coastal rains. She has taken care of me in strong, gnarly, white knuckled crosswind landings into small fields, through really rough turbulence and I even got hit by lightning once during, of all things, a snow storm. By the way she took the lightning like the honey badger takes a bee sting . . . . it just kept going, not giving a crap.

Real men and women fly or flew turboprops!! :D

I mentioned this on another thread, but I will make it official. I have spent nearly seven years on the Brasilia and have truly loved almost every moment of it. I love flying it, and I had hoped I might make it to the so called “big leagues” with zero RJ time. But I have decided to head over to the dark side of the force flying the CRJ. I will miss flying the Brasilia and the smaller, tighter knit community of pilots and station peeps that go along with it. I have met many people while working on it that will be my friends for the rest of my life.

Folks if you ever get a chance to fly a turbo prop, especially here at SKYW, seriously consider taking it, even for just a year. Your mileage may vary, but I really enjoyed my time on it. Lots of good old stick time into both big and very little airports, in all kinds of weather. I promise you will be a better pilot for it.

I’ve been fortunate to fly the Brasilia into most of the airports that had service for it in the past seven years. From as far South as Louisiana and Texas, throughout the West and out to the Pacific coast. I have great memories flying it along the Pacific, from as far South as San Diego and North up to Portland and Seattle and most places in between. I’ve flown her in roasting hot, Las Vegas weather and nearly Arctic cold, snowy Wyoming weather. I’ve had amazingly clear days where you could see for hundreds of miles and days in the soaking coastal rains. She has taken care of me in strong, gnarly, white knuckled crosswind landings into small fields, through really rough turbulence and I even got hit by lightning once during, of all things, a snow storm. By the way she took the lightning like the honey badger takes a bee sting . . . . it just kept going, not giving a crap.

Real men and women fly or flew turboprops!! :D
Ah yes, the infamous thundersnow...

You can borrow my iPod headphones if you want, but I don't have spiky hair or a backpack, sorry. :)

I have been flying the Brasilia for 3 months now, and have about 200 hours in it, and I can say, This plane has both amazed me, and made me realize how much I still have to learn...lol. I have had my best landing in this bird, and also my worst, and the notion that if you shift in your seat you need to trim was foreign to me till this beast...I love this bird. I too have flown it out of 6600 ft elevation at GCN, and out of North Las Vegas (VGT), when its 38c outside, and she has nary given a sneeze. Most of our birds are former SKW. I actually enjoy the challenge of trying to tame this beast every time I fly. We will see how I feel after my first winter in the Northeast....lol

:) The Swede . . . she looks OK, but not nearly as sexy and fast as the Brazilian. We won't even talk about the San Antionio girl. Well, I suppose she is super skinny, but I hear she's a lot of work for her man to handle.

I have been flying the Brasilia for 3 months now, and have about 200 hours in it, and I can say, This plane has both amazed me, and made me realize how much I still have to learn...lol. I have had my best landing in this bird, and also my worst, and the notion that if you shift in your seat you need to trim was foreign to me till this beast...I love this bird. I too have flown it out of 6600 ft elevation at GCN, and out of North Las Vegas (VGT), when its 38c outside, and she has nary given a sneeze. Most of our birds are former SKW. I actually enjoy the challenge of trying to tame this beast every time I fly. We will see how I feel after my first winter in the Northeast....lol

She does fine in the cold winter stuff, but since she was born in the jungle it might sometimes take extra time on the really cold mornings for her to warm up and get all her systems going. :) I don't think any airplane likes being cold soaked in zero or sub zero weather.

and.....

Never go SLOW in the BRO in SNOW!!!!

True, speed is your friend in the ice. The everyday Rocky Mountain winter weather/ice really shouldn’t cause much heartburn, as long as you are on top of the speed. I've been in severe ice twice in the Brasilia. Again,as long as the speed is well managed, and you get out in a timely manner it does OK. She shook a bit with the ice asymmetrically shedding off the props but did OK.

Ah yes, the infamous thundersnow...

You can borrow my iPod headphones if you want, but I don't have spiky hair or a backpack, sorry. :)

I've got the headphones and the backpack, but I'm afraid spiky hair will always be beyond my reach. . . . stupid male pattern baldness.

True, speed is your friend in the ice. The everyday Rocky Mountain winter weather/ice really shouldn’t cause much heartburn, as long as you are on top of the speed. I've been in severe ice twice in the Brasilia. Again,as long as the speed is well managed, and you get out in a timely manner it does OK. She shook a bit with the ice asymmetrically shedding off the props but did OK.
I had one myself coming out of LMT...no ice predicted, and the worst I ever saw, 9000 to 14,000. Used higher power and had to put the nose down a bit, but climbed out...squishy controls. Was glad when we descended into PDX and hit the rain. If you come to JC I'll tell the (whole) story!

Would you happen to know a FA named Tierney? Shes a friend and I know she fly's on the Brasilia out of SLC.

Congrats Lee. What base? I put in for a transfer to phx and will finally have my commute down to an hr. You'll like the 700/900, the 200 not so much. If you're going to be in SLC, you'll like the meals on the 7/9. Call me crazy but I'm kinda craving lofte's.

Congrats Lee. What base? I put in for a transfer to phx and will finally have my commute down to an hr. You'll like the 700/900, the 200 not so much. If you're going to be in SLC, you'll like the meals on the 7/9. Call me crazy but I'm kinda craving lofte's.

Lee which class are you in? I'm in the newhire class that started 10/4

Back