Layover cities for the regionals

To the OP and speaking from the XJT side of things. We overnight in all of those cities (although infrequently at PBI, I think i've done it once).

I don't think you'll see any of those go away but it's not as easy as you think bidding month to month hoping to get to one of those cities.

I'd say your best bet if pick a city where an airline has a crew base. Your QOL will be 100% better on reserve and as a lineholder.

Yup...so much can change, look at other things that will increase your QOL (contract). You'll learn very quickly that QOL doesn't come from time at work, it comes from pay and time off. Rarely are you actually on an overnight long enough that it really matters where you are.

Well said.

This has been said many, many times. I am a junior line holder at one of your mentioned 'short listed' regionals. I live in base, and average 22 nights a month in my own bed (with 90 hour 'credit' lines). I have many friends whom are CPA's, engineers, and in iBanking, and they travel much more than me.

Move to base, if you are planning to move. It makes this job awesome, and less likely to go crazy while waiting for the majors to start calling. Plus, living in base has another benefit. You tend to fly with captains whom also live in base. They are normally much less stressed out, as they do not commute, and much more fun to fly with. Plus, as you tend to fly with the same 10 captains, or so, and live in the same general area, you often get invited out to the local pubs and restaurants. This is a great way to meet new people in your city too.

Cheers!

This has been said many, many times. I am a junior line holder at one of your mentioned 'short listed' regionals. I live in base, and average 22 nights a month in my own bed (with 90 hour 'credit' lines). I have many friends whom are CPA's, engineers, and in iBanking, and they travel much more than me.

Move to base, if you are planning to move. It makes this job awesome, and less likely to go crazy while waiting for the majors to start calling. Plus, living in base has another benefit. You tend to fly with captains whom also live in base. They are normally much less stressed out, as they do not commute, and much more fun to fly with. Plus, as you tend to fly with the same 10 captains, or so, and live in the same general area, you often get invited out to the local pubs and restaurants. This is a great way to meet new people in your city too.

Cheers!
Additionally, be prepared for an extended wait...and so on.

When I commuted, I had dreams about driving to work. I'm serious. :)

And some things never go away... like the Merry Acres in ABY.

Worst hotel I've eve stayed at in my ENTIRE career! What a dump! But the old ATL geezers like it because of the free breakfast, which is absolutely disgusting!

Never want to go to ABY again!

Hotel rooms have been renovated, so it's not so bad these days

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Christ! Is that place still open? I remember staying there back in 95 with ASA, er Atlantic South, er Sure, dammit! Expressjet. Place was an absolute craphole. No amount of renovating could improve it short of a complete demolishion and rebuild.

Christ! Is that place still open? I remember staying there back in 95 with ASA, er Atlantic South, er Sure, dammit! Expressjet. Place was an absolute craphole. No amount of renovating could improve it short of a complete demolishion and rebuild.

But they have free Lenders Bagels! :)

But they have free Lenders Bagels! :)

Ya know, there was a Krispy Kreme down the street. We used to stop there on the way to the airport in the morning to get a dozen when the light was on. So I guess there was a plus...

1. Get hired.
2. Move to base.
3. Never buy/own more than you can fit in the back of an F150.
Reality is you will sit reserve 3 months to 3 years, you have no control of your layover cities on reserve. On reserve you will have 11-12 days off per month plus 5-6 days that you don't get called out equals 17+ days a month in your own bed IF you live in base. YMMV.

1. Get hired.
2. Move to base.
Reality is you will sit reserve 3 months to 3 years, you have no control of your layover cities on reserve. On reserve you will have 11-12 days off per month plus 5-6 days that you don't get called out equals 17+ days a month in your own bed IF you live in base. YMMV.

Solid advice.

Sent from my TRS-80

Solid advice.

Sent from my TRS-80

It's solid advice...if you're 22, just graduated undergraduate and don't have a family. People are at regionals for upwards of a decade now. Hell, it's going to take me somewhere between 7 and 8 years from when I was hired to upgrade.

1. Get hired.
2. Move to base.

Some people might be laughing at No. 3, but it's true. When I moved to base last year from my home 2000+ miles away, I had my car loaded up with clothes, 4 boxes and 3 cases of beer that I bought at a brewery along the way.

As far as the Merry Acres in Albany, I don't get care if they renovated, I'm sure the rooms are just as small. They are/were so small, that if I'd be sitting on the toilet, the toilet paper roll would be in my crotch! That place is just nasty, and thr town itself sucks, too!

It's solid advice...if you're 22, just graduated undergraduate and don't have a family. People are at regionals for upwards of a decade now. Hell, it's going to take me somewhere between 7 and 8 years from when I was hired to upgrade.

Very true. At some point, you're gonna meet that someone and want to put down roots. "Honey, I got displaced and we have to move again" is not a great way to have a stable relationship....

Well, true.

I'm just reluctant to advise someone with geographical limits on where they are willing to live about which regional is in which city. The business is too dynamic for "I can only live in Memphis, TN!" type people because that big beautiful base you're commuting to could vaPOOrize overnight, and often does.

Back