Last duty day

88MPH

Addicted voyeur
I wish I had the moolah to be able to announce a new rating or certificate, but for now, I'm yust thrilled that today is my last duty day in the AF!!!! :nana2: :nana2: :nana2:

Maybe my next yob will pay well enough to afford me a real announcement here.

Congrats on your last day of AD.

As for the moolah.....

$50,496 yearly pay in the military (base pay not counting TAD or deployments)
$18,900 yearly pay in the airlines (min guarantee no per diem)

$31,596 total loss

Congrats.
USMC also forgot to add how your taxes increase too (no BAH, BAS) and if you move somewhere with state income tax...no escape.

Congrats. It's pretty nice on the outside :)

As for the moolah.....

$31,596 total loss

Where did you get 50k from? E-5 is somewhere around 25k or so (base pay).

I got the money by adding my E5 pay rate when i left plus BAH for SoCal plus BAS and then multiplied by 12.

I include BAS and BAH because that was income paid directly to me and then I bought food and paid rent with it. Just like I get the 19k for first year here and I have to take from that and pay rent and buy food and pay everything else with it.

We used to even have this thing on our Marine website called statement of military compensation or something to that effect which broke down line by line what you actually are "paid"

It was a joke but it put me around 70K because it factored things in like the typical cost of medical and dental for the familiy which was free and a few other things I cant remember or remember my password to get on and post them. I would though.

I got the money by adding my E5 pay rate when i left plus BAH for SoCal plus BAS and then multiplied by 12.

I include BAS and BAH because that was income paid directly to me and then I bought food and paid rent with it. Just like I get the 19k for first year here and I have to take from that and pay rent and buy food and pay everything else with it.

We used to even have this thing on our Marine website called statement of military compensation or something to that effect which broke down line by line what you actually are "paid"

It was a joke but it put me around 70K because it factored things in like the typical cost of medical and dental for the familiy which was free and a few other things I cant remember or remember my password to get on and post them. I would though.
I can easily say that around 70K is correct. I'm paid the exact total gross salary I was paid when I left. However due to medical insurance, state income tax, state disability (which you usually can avoid) and the fact that I pay taxes on everything I earn now as opposed to BAH, my actual NET has gone down. Add on top that BAH/BAS are not only FICA exempt, they are also exempt from SS/Med tax.

AWESOME! Every veteran on this board knows how great that day is:)!

Thanks for your service, too.

Congrat, bro! I look forward to that day, I think...anyway!

As for the pay...yeah, there is quite a pay difference on the outside...but it all comes at a cost.

Congrats man.

I know you've been waiting for this for a very long while.

I hope you get your piece of the ATC pie as well, good luck man. You're one of the good ones out there.

John - congrats man. I've left active duty twice and know the feeling. Best of luck to you!

As for the moolah.....

$31,596 total loss

Don't forget the reenlistment bonus most of us give up by getting out. I walked away from a $45K bonus when I got out. :banghead:

Congrats man!

Hopefully if my terminal leave ppwk is approved, Dec 13th will be my last day of active duty. Almost 9 years active duty, E-6 Army, decent pay, high BAH here in Hawaii, COLA, BAS, etc....but not ever doing a 15 month deployment is my deciding factor.

Good luck to you and your transition. I wish you the best, I hope it all works out and you don't have to look back.

Thank you for your service!

Thanks for your service and congrats! Despite what the lifers say, you CAN do it!

Cool dood...I wish I can walk away from my navy service that easy...this kinda money and job security is hard to let go :) One needs a good stomach to stay in sometimes when the bs hits the fan though :D

Welcome (back) to the civilian world!!!

I still remember the trepidation I felt saying I was going full time flight instructor with about 750TT, and leaving the Navy. I still haven't looked back!!! Don't get me wrong, I have great memories, but it was time for me to branch out.

Back