Langing Gear Failure in 172RG back in 03.

VampyreGTX

I remember when I was at DCA in early '03 (shortly before I left) I remember one of the instructors I flew and a friend of mine experienced a loss of the hydraulic fluid and had to land with the mains not locked. (N5177R). They pulled it off perfectly and everyone was fine, but I recently looked back into it and found the 'probable cause' report by the NTSB.

The report references Sabotage as one of the 'causes.' Does anyone here that attends DCA know anything more about this? I've inquired with a friend of mine that's still an instructor (and was enrolled with me when this happened) and he didn't know about the findings in this incident. (The parts in questions were turned over to the FBI.)

Here's the reports:

Synopsis

Factual PDF File

Probable Cause Brief

I remember 2003 as the year of the gear up. I guess this one just got lost amongst all the other notable gear ups.

I remember that. I watched that on the news. I think they had just started phasing out the RG's. From what I hear from friends working at the school all the Arrows are starting to have landing gear problems. I heard 4 or 5 problems in one week is not uncommon. Luckily no gear ups.

The poor instructor involved said his interviews were delayed by more than a year because no one would touch him while the NTSB investigated the accident. He's suspected for a while that this was the case.

Rumor was that a disgruntled instructor had emotional issued and killed himself a couple of months after this...same disgruntled instructor who was suspected of doing negative gees in one of the Seminoles and bending the wing. But, you know how rumors are...never did hear any names.
tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
The poor instructor involved said his interviews were delayed by more than a year because no one would touch him while the NTSB investigated the accident. He's suspected for a while that this was the case.

Rumor was that a disgruntled instructor had emotional issued and killed himself a couple of months after this...same disgruntled instructor who was suspected of doing negative gees in one of the Seminoles and bending the wing. But, you know how rumors are...never did hear any names.
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe you might be talking about a disgruntled student who had a few issues (just ask the old commercial group guys about him). I believe he went to finish his ratings at Avion, but I could be wrong, it's been awhile. As for the Seminole story... that's another issue.

I watched Matt put that RG down with skill while I was standing on the ramp. He did end up getting screwed by that incident, but I believe he's now at Skywest; good for him. He and I started at the academy about the same time. He is a great guy and didn't deserve the treatment he got in many respects. BTW, if Matt is reading this, how's that "mini-pack" treating you man?
tongue.gif

The suicide I am also familiar with. I knew Ralph only briefly. He was a 'difficult' guy to like sometimes, but I was still quite saddened to hear of his death. To be clear, this was after he had left DCA and went to Avion. I remember when CAP was called to go look for the 'lost' airplane. I know the guys who discovered the wreckage. Anyone who has seen an aircraft wreckage first-hand with fatalities knows what a gruesome scene it was. It is always tragic when we lose another one.

Ralph is not a familiar name to me... I left in March of '03 after completing my commercial single.

I flew with Matt a few times for my commercial, when he filled in for my instructor. I'm glad to here he's at the airlines! Does anyone know if he frequents these boards? If so, give me an IM Matt, not sure if you remember me, this is Andrew, was Momper's student in commercial. (or anyone that remember me for that fact.)

The suicide, was that the one the happened around March or April? I remember a plane that departed Sanford from Avion and just nosed it in to the woods about 15 mintues out.

Andrew, yeah I think you are thinking about the same incident. Ralph was better known as RJ.

Momper, I havent seen or heard of him since he left Comair's training program. What is he up to nowadays? I miss his humor.

I haven't talked to Dave since I left Comair. He was a fun CFI to fly with.. and talk about fun with him in a 152.

I never knew that Avion incident was related to a former DCA instructor. The RJ still doesn't ring a bell.. oh well, probably didn't know who he was. Still, sad to hear something like that happening. The one incident I will enver forget is the crash that claimed 4 near daytona. 65906 I believe? I flew that plane 3 days prior on my long commercial X-try and lost the vacuum system heading into Ft. Myers at night. And then to have it crash taking 4 lives a few days later kinda shook my up.

I'll have to head down there and see if anyone's left that I remember! One friend of mine is still an instructor there, Dan F. Otherwise, I've not really talked with many of the rest since my departure.

[ QUOTE ]

I never knew that Avion incident was related to a former DCA instructor.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was a student at DCA, not an instructor.

Ah! I misread the ealier post.. wow, I do recall a 'Ralph' when I was there. Can't recall too much else about him though.

Andrew, I had Momper for Commercial too. Drop me an e-mail and I can fill you in on what he's up to. I talk to him every couple of months or so....

Phil

Matt was a cool guy, I remember when he came into my private ground school and shut the power point off and said, • this thing, and actually taught us something. He did get hired, I talked to him right before I left after CFI-I, he got hired with ASA

Matt worked his butt off... he is a great guy, and very funny too. He was so prepared for the interview that he probably did not miss a single question. I hope he is doing well at ASA.

rawk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Matt worked his butt off... he is a great guy, and very funny too. He was so prepared for the interview that he probably did not miss a single question. I hope he is doing well at ASA.

rawk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Before the well-wishers start sending fan mail.....he's at Skywest.......not ASA.
wink.gif

Back