King air c90 service ceiling

determined2fly

Anyone know where I can find this information in the AFM? I remember it as being 31,000 feet but have heard different numbers.

E90 was certified to 31.

FWIW, MEDEVAC non-RVSM aircraft are allowed in RVSM airspace traffic/workload permitting. :cool: Have I ever done it? Nope.

Last edited:
Careful with terminology. It might not be a service ceiling. I know on the BE-1900s, it was just the max operating altitude. Service ceiling was higher and unpublished (at least in our manuals), but max operating altitude was based on max cabin differential, not on climb performance.

E90 was certified to 31.

FWIW, MEDEVAC non-RVSM aircraft are allowed in RVSM airspace traffic/workload permitting. :cool: Ever done it? Nope.
All aircraft are allowed in RVSM traffic permitting. And you're not getting it.

You're right. Not getting it. :ooh:

Also realized my post needed clarification. See above.

Also, didn't realize others were allowed up there. A regular Yo Joe PSA. :D

You're right. Not getting it. :ooh:

Also realized my post needed clarification. See above.

Also, didn't realize others were allowed up there. A regular Yo Joe PSA. :D
Ya any aircraft can call ahead and arrange a non-rvsm aircraft into RVSM. We've done it a couple times with lears than needed ferried and had something broken making it non-rvsm. Out west, it's not nearly as big of an issue. But to just straight up request it out of the blue isn't going to work often.

If you ever get a 90 that high you deserve a medal.

:biggrin:

E90 was certified to 31.
FWIW, MEDEVAC non-RVSM aircraft are allowed in RVSM airspace traffic/workload permitting. :cool: Have I ever done it? Nope.
When we have a patient on board, we are limited to a 5,000ft cabin; making our ceiling roughly 17,000. Some of our old birds wont get to max diff anymore, and 15-16 ish is our top...

Took one of our 90's to FL 280 to get over a small storm on top of DFW during a repo flight. Lets just say the plane hated it about as much as the controller whose airspace I was traversing at about 230 kts across the ground. Pretty sure we were the grandma doing 35mph on the fast lane of the highway!

Anything above 230ish, and a 90 starts get feel very wobbly, climbing at 300-500ft/min max while indicating about 115-125kts. They feel a lot more at home in the mid to high teens, and the fuel savings really don't get any better higher than that.

Last edited:
When we have a patient on board, we are limited to a 5,000ft cabin; making our ceiling roughly 17,000. Some of our old birds to get to max diff anymore, and 15-16 ish is our top...

I remember that limitation, but luckily if the medcrew did have an issue with it, you could go higher. You could get up to 17,000 IF (and it's a BIG "if") that tube wasn't leaking like Swiss cheese.* ;)

BTW, Good luck with the transition.

*(That's my Biff-ism for the day.)

You could get up to 17,000 IF (and it's a BIG "if") that tube wasn't leaking like Swiss cheese.* ;)

BTW, Good luck with the transition.

*(That's my Biff-ism for the day.)

Quoted and bolded for accuracy! And thanks! Most of everyone I've talked to, including myself are looking forward to the transition. The new interim president had a face to face meeting with all the bases, and definitely left with good feelings for the future of the company.

Took one of our 90's to FL 280 to get over a small storm on top of DFW during a repo flight. Lets just say the plane hated it about as much as the controller whose airspace I was traversing at about 230 kts across the ground. Pretty sure we were the grandma doing 35mph on the fast lane of the highway!

Did you have your left turn signal going? :D

Do you have anymore information on this to support your statement? I have been told by multiple ATCers, SIMCOM instructors, etc that you can not legally request it UNLESS you was to transition through it (for example, if you wanted to fly at FL 410 or higher).

I hope I am wrong, but that is what I been told.

Do you have anymore information on this to support your statement? I have been told by multiple ATCers, SIMCOM instructors, etc that you can not legally request it UNLESS you was to transition through it (for example, if you wanted to fly at FL 410 or higher).

I hope I am wrong, but that is what I been told.
Other than I've done it a lot in airplanes with something broke not allowing rvsm and straight non rvsm airplanes. If it's a performance issue you need to call ahead and see if you can work something out. If you're just hanging out at FL280 and want to save some gas - request FL300, non-rvsm.
The first case we did on a ferry flight and needed the altitude to non-stop the flight. Worked it out with atc way before we left.
The second I got anytime I wanted in Alaska more or less.

I once had a E90 at 290. Once. With a a M150 oxygen cylinder strapped in the back and holding about 19,000 cabin altitude. It would probably be capable of climbing higher with the bleeds off, but that thing leaked like a sieve. Mushy is an understatement. Even with the -28's in the E90, it had the performance to get up there, although not quickly. I have no doubt an F90 (Best of the King Airs) with the extra power would be able to make it. Not sure I'd be the guy to try.

Back