King Air 200 and Subpart F?

Hairris

Hey Folks, New here but have a question that has recently plagued me and sent me down a rabbit hole that I can't seem to get out of. There is a lot here, so sorry for that in advance.

Two individuals in my town currently own a King Air 200 and have its ownership setup under a separate LLC than either of their companies. Both of their companies regularly use this airplane and "contract" a pilot in town to fly for them. As far as I know, both companies then pay the pilot for his time and also pay the LLC for the aircraft expenses, etc?

My understanding is that if the King Air falls under Subpart F(which I don't think it does...the whole 12,500 large airplane definition), that their situation would be ok given what I have understood Subpart F to be describing? Seems like a perfect "Joint ownership"(got some help here: https://nbaa.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Aircraft-Operating-And-Leasing-Guide.pdf).

But since I don't believe that the King Air 200 falls under the guidelines of Subpart F because of its gross weight, how then does this situation work? Can the understanding of Subpart F be applied to smaller airplanes or no? If not, would then this situation be considered "private carriage" and its no big deal, since they are clearly not "holding out", and are strictly using it only for personal travel and the uses of the two businesses when needed?

Last scenario, and where I come in....they have asked about potentially hiring me fulltime as a pilot for them(not sure under the plane's LLC or what?), but in what scenario could I be employed with these individuals and also provide travel using their airplane for both their companies and it not be considered flights needed to have a carrier certificate?

Any help is greatly appreciated, and I will try my best to answer any follow on questions of clarification as best I can....not fully knowing all their situations of business.

It’s been a long time since I looked at that, but I believe you are correct about Subpart F. However, I believe NBAA has an exemption, but the company has to be a member ($$$) in order to use it.

Now, here’s another rabbit hole for you. Dig through the Letters of Interpretation on the FAA site. Companies and pilots have gotten in a jam in the past because of how the company pays expenses the plane. If Airplane LLC “bills” the partners’ companies for use of the aircraft (it’s just an accounting thing), depending on how that relationship is set up, the FAA has said that it’s holding out and requires an air carrier certificate.

If you can use the NBAA exemption, that should be the easiest way. A call to them would probably be good.

Good luck.

Thanks deadstick for the reply!
After writing the post I did read up more on NBAA’s small aircraft exemption. I’m guessing I’ll have to eventually get into those details before we get too far into the hiring process.

As far as the letters of interpretation go, do you have a link for the database of those? I can never seem to find them on the FAA website?

Back