Kidney Stones

Timmy Tucker

I just had my first kidney stone a little over 2 weeks ago. I have not seen my urologist yet, just an Urgent Care visit and an ER visit the day it happened. I have not passed the stone yet (that I am aware of), but have been asymptomatic for 2 weeks.
A couple questions…

1. Am I clear to fly, or do I need to be cleared by a doctor/AME first?

2. I got my 1st class medical about 6 weeks ago, as I‘m starting my instrument training in a few weeks. I’m probably going to let my medical downgrade to a 2nd class while I’m working towards my comm/cfi. What do I need from my doctor before I go back for my next medical in a year?

You need to be cleared by an AME. If you continue to fly now without seeing your AME and report it (as any other doctor visits or conditions are to be reported) on your next physical, the FAA may not look kindly on that.

Kidney stones are one of the things the FAA takes very seriously, given how painful they can be and how much of a problem extreme kidney stone pain would be in flight.

Just one case probably won't be a big deal and the AME can clear you to fly without much trouble. If the kidney stones become a recurring thing, you'll have to get a special issuance medical via your AME and the FAA docs in Oklahoma City. But if you can treat them with a preventative pill, and pass enough follow up checkups, an AME can write up your case after a long enough period of no more stones and request a special issuance medical to be cleared back to a regular medical.

Hi Timmy Tucker,

With a single uncomplicated stone you need to obtain imaging that shows the stone has passed or is in the bladder, and that there are no retained stones. A KUB (Kidney-Ureter-Bladder) X Ray is the simplest test for this. If the imaging is clear you can contact your AME or Regional Flight Surgeon and send them the report. See the linked guidance:

kidneystonedispositiontable.pdf (faa.gov)

Warm Regards,

Aaron Florkowski, MD
FAA designated AME
www.kansascityame.com

Back