KHTO "closure"

Fixtur

Dunning-Kruger Expert
What a goat-rope.

The Town of East Hampton, under pressure from a small but very vocal minority, have voted to close KHTO at the end of this month and reopen four days later as a "prior permission" airport. This, they thought, would enable them to allow the local billionaires who use the airport to continue doing so while excluding anyone else and appeasing the multimillionaires who are upset with all the airplane noise in the summer.

Enter the Feds, who last week sent to the town a letter saying "not so fast...". Reopening the airport may take two years depending on reestablishing procedures, certifying equipment and tower personnel, and putting in place an LOA with the NY TRACON. In any case, the airport will be VFR only as soon as it is officially closed. Naturally, this is rather useless option for jets in summer fog. (Not a problem for small planes and helicopters on SVFR clearances!)

The Town insists that they are moving forward with their plan despite the FAA's letter. I'm watching from across the Long Island Sound with a large popcorn and great curiosity.

Fix

Last edited:
What a goat-rope.

The Town of East Hampton, under pressure from a small but very vocal minority, have voted to close KHTO at the end of this month and reopen four days later as a "prior permission" airport. This, they thought, would enable them to allow the local billionaires who use the airport to continue doing so while excluding anyone else and appeasing the multimillionaires who are upset with all the airplane noise in the summer.

Enter the Feds, who last week sent to the town a letter saying "not so fast...". Reopening the airport may take two years depending on reestablishing procedures, certifying equipment and tower personnel, and putting in place an LOA with the NY TRACON. In any case, the airport will be VFR only as soon as it is officially closed. Naturally, this is rather useless option for jets in summer fog .(Not a problem for small planes and helicopters on SVFR clearances!)

The Town insists that they are moving forward with their plan despite the FAA's letter. I'm watching from across the Long Island Sound with a large popcorn and great curiosity.

Fix

The letter you attached isn't loading.

Interested in following this.

I think that's the FAA saying "Fine, close it, but don't expect to ever be able to use it again when it suits you.".

Don't be surprised if the was the town's motive all along. Then they'll let a developer run with it and get all the town get's all the property tax revenue.

Don't be surprised if the was the town's motive all along. Then they'll let a developer run with it and get all the town get's all the property tax revenue.
But where will they park their jets? If they want it to be private the FAA has told them how to accomplish it.

Good riddance to bad rubbish. Of the I dunno maybe ~eight unexpected missed approaches I've done since flying jeeeeeeeeeeeets, two of them were to HTO. And the runway is dangerously short. And there's no ILS. I hope Aspen follows suit. Let em drive like the peasants.

PS. The "two (2)" year bit was comedy gold. You flipping yokels may not have batteries in the spell-n-say, so let us help you out. I like the cut of Ms. Kennington-Gardiner's jib.

Last edited:
No ils, but the rnav gets (got) you down pretty low.

Maybe that was the town's plan all along, but I somehow doubt it. What was the saying: "never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence." or something?

In any case, there's going to be some pissed off FRPs when they have to sit in 1.5 hours of traffic to get to Gabreski to catch their jet. Montauk has enough space for ~2 helicopters max, and no fuel or FBO. It's going to be a tihS show.

Last edited:
But where will they park their jets? If they want it to be private the FAA has told them how to accomplish it.

FOK offers more usefulness and it is just down the street. If there is contamination or performance limits at HTO, you’ll go to FOK anyway. Longer runway, an ILS, etc…

FOK offers more usefulness and it is just down the street. If there is contamination or performance limits at HTO, you’ll go to FOK anyway. Longer runway, an ILS, etc…
Just down the street” in miles, yes. In summer traffic, an hour or more.

Sadly, some won’t get that reference. But us kids who grew up on Microsoft Flight Simulators will!

Long live CGX!

The terminal and some remnants of the field are still there, used daily for the local parks and recreation department and sometimes used as a location for some Chicago based productions.

Richard Daley's wife looked like a low-effort transvestite.

THIS ONE? You're still single, aren't you?
daleywife.jpg

Back