Kansas City Airshow

mocm

Some pics from Sunday Afternoon of the KC Airshow. I'm new to photography and this was really my first aviation shoot. Please feel free to fire any tips or suggestions my way!

I got to meet Sean Tucker (flies the Oracle plane) just minutes before he had to jump in the plane. It was pretty neat watching him run through his performance in his head. Looked like he was doing some kind of ballet on the flight line.

K7rgbwc.jpg

qyxQkwO.jpg

7WMcC8U.jpg

7r4xWKh.jpg

srUAmqT.jpg

xMo83dy.jpg

u6TYrbn.jpg

ZhIwoy6.jpg

eYgKG2t.jpg

YqYlhTi.jpg

Some pics from Sunday Afternoon of the KC Airshow. I'm new to photography and this was really my first aviation shoot. Please feel free to fire any tips or suggestions my way!

I got to meet Sean Tucker (flies the Oracle plane) just minutes before he had to jump in the plane. It was pretty neat watching him run through his performance in his head. Looked like he was doing some kind of ballet on the flight line.

K7rgbwc.jpg

qyxQkwO.jpg

7WMcC8U.jpg

7r4xWKh.jpg

srUAmqT.jpg

xMo83dy.jpg

u6TYrbn.jpg

ZhIwoy6.jpg

eYgKG2t.jpg

YqYlhTi.jpg
Those look real nice. One thing I never realized when I started shooting prop driven aircraft was propeller blur. Slow down the shutter a bit to get the prop to blur so it looks like a disc rather than individual blades. It's supposed to convey motion. Usually there's a camera forum for what you're shooting with and they'll have a dedicated section just for aviation. Some really good tips there. And for info, I'm just an amateur hack just starting out as well.

Those look real nice. One thing I never realized when I started shooting prop driven aircraft was propeller blur. Slow down the shutter a bit to get the prop to blur so it looks like a disc rather than individual blades. It's supposed to convey motion.

One of the "pros" on here says you should be getting prop blur with aperture and ISO settings. @mikecweb

I agree though, prop planes I usually start off at 1/250 and try to slow down as much as my skill allows. Nice photos!

One of the "pros" on here says you should be getting prop blur with aperture and ISO settings. @mikecweb

I agree though, prop planes I usually start off at 1/250 and try to slow down as much as my skill allows. Nice photos!
I guess I should've said a combination of all three. ISO, Apeture and shutter. Again I'm just a hack compared to most and I haven't shot any thing in a while. :)

The Blue Angels usually fly in the middle of the day which makes the lighting horrible. What are you shooting with?

Nice shots! I made the Blue Angels practice on Friday but had to work on Saturday, and although we had a tenant pass to go Sunday, no one was at the hangar so we skipped.

For prop blur, I've found the lower you can get, the better off you are with respect to shutter speed and getting GOOD prop blur. I find I have to be at 1/125 if not even 1/100 to get the nice continuous arc/full circle of the prop. If you are handheld and shooting long telephoto, hopefully you have IS at those shutter speeds (or VR if you are Nikon, I think it's called?/always been a Canon shooter).

I took this shot of a friend during the STOL contest at the Supercub.org fly-in in New Holstein, Wisconsin during OSH. I can double check but believe I was shooting 1/125 during the entire contest.

20927150106_868c78702c_b.jpg

FWIW I have been a full-time photographer for 8 years now. Trading my camera for a cockpit hopefully this winter ;) Am looking forward to finally being able to shoot for myself - landscapes, airplanes, etc!

Sarah

I found this interesting, for those who didn't notice- on this airplane, they've installed a "bubble" in the middle escape hatch (just aft the wings) and you can see a person sitting there.

On operational Herks, the bubble is typically installed in the front escape hatch in the crew compartment, so the navigator can literally "check six" for defensive maneuvers.

Normally makes you vomit.

Thanks for the kind words and suggestions. I've got a Canon Rebel T5i and was using the 100-300 lens that's included with the camera.

@NewYorkophile I didn't even notice the bubble installed. You seem knowledgeable, are you with the Niagra guard unit? I'm a loadmaster with the MO ANG. I thought it was interesting as soon as Fat Albert touched down the ramp and door started coming open for the reverse taxi. I definitely wouldn't have a job if I did that!

You need around 1/60 to get full prop blur, depending on engine speed. If you shoot by hand, you'll get sharp images perhaps 1 of 5 shots. They make gyro stabilizers that you can attach to your camera, that's what the air to air pros use.

K7rgbwc.jpg

qyxQkwO.jpg

7WMcC8U.jpg

7r4xWKh.jpg

srUAmqT.jpg

xMo83dy.jpg

u6TYrbn.jpg

ZhIwoy6.jpg

eYgKG2t.jpg

YqYlhTi.jpg

Wonderful photos.....
Many thanks for sharing:p