Kalitta Air K4 January Hire Class

TWU 592 the same as American Airlines. It is a good contract. It’s not perfect but better than the regionals and we will most likely get time and a half next time.
American is with PAFCA now, and the regional I'm leaving (which is in TWU592) has double-time. Frankly, for ANY employer to refuse to agree to pay AT LEAST 1.5x for ALL OT is negotiating is bad faith. 1.5x for overtime is bare minimum standard in every industry. But it seems the company manipulated the employees by dragging negotiations out in bad faith to make the union members just want to get any kind of contract. Like I said before, the only good thing about this contract is the pay scale, which is the only thing most union members look for. Especially in a first contract.

I don’t know the cargo side of the industry well, or which union you are represented by…but I think you guys need better negotiators. Pretty sure all the other big cargo carriers that are unionized do have 1.5X overtime. I could be mistaken as it’s not my sector, of course. Anyhow…glad you do have a new contract (even if it’s not a great one) and I wish you the best of luck for the future!

I am in TWU592 and the understanding when K4 unionized was the number 1 concern was time and a half for OT.

TWU 592 the same as American Airlines. It is a good contract. It’s not perfect but better than the regionals and we will most likely get time and a half next time.
I don't know, my regional gives me time and a half for OT, we can trade however we want without intervention, and we don't have junior manning. I guess it is a matter of what is more important, greenbacks or QOL.

I don't know, my regional gives me time and a half for OT, we can trade however we want without intervention, and we don't have junior manning. I guess it is a matter of what is more important, greenbacks or QOL.
I worked at a regional for 10 years. I had to work overtime to make decent money and still made less than starting pay at Kalitta. I started here making more money than they maxed out at the regional and get 4 days off. So my quality of life is pretty good. I have not been forced to work overtime and the benefits cost is cheap like 40 dollars per check and at the regional I worked at paid 130 just for medical per check. It’s a great place to work. Of course I would love to have overtime at time and a half but I make more with straight time pay than I did at the regionals with time and a half working for an extra day. My point is this is a good place to work with a lot of good perks.

Rome was not built in a day. I for one congratulate the peeps at Kallitta for organizing and fighting for their first CBA. It's not easy. At some point, you have to pick your battles and get something put to a vote. With such a high pass rate, I'd say most of their group was ready to move on. If you think DL, UA, SW, AA Etc. walked away with excellent CBAs after their first round, you're dead wrong. These things take time.

Unions especially with the Kalitta Companies is not easy to negotiate. I congratulate you all with the increase in pay and a stepping point for future improvements. It’s a good place to be with great and talented workers. I wish you guys all the best! I’ll see you around

It has been less than 1 month and management has already threatened to use Jr Manning to cover sick calls after saying they wouldn't use it. Jr Manning at Straight Pay is NOT Industry Standard and it is an absolute joke how the company can think so little of its employees that they can force them to come in on off days for normal pay. Management has now begun to change schedules around to cover vacations and how short the department is, so don't expect your 4 on 4 off that was "guaranteed" in the contract.

It has been less than 1 month and management has already threatened to use Jr Manning to cover sick calls after saying they wouldn't use it.

No surprise. The dispatch management at K4 has gone downhill in the last year. The former manager was personable and seemed to care about the staff. What you're dealing with now is a bunch of idiots that couldn't manage a Little Caesars. Get out of there as quickly as you can and you'll be a happier person.

It has been less than 1 month and management has already threatened to use Jr Manning to cover sick calls after saying they wouldn't use it. Jr Manning at Straight Pay is NOT Industry Standard and it is an absolute joke how the company can think so little of its employees that they can force them to come in on off days for normal pay. Management has now begun to change schedules around to cover vacations and how short the department is, so don't expect your 4 on 4 off that was "guaranteed" in the contract.
Junior Manning is bad enough when you're getting forced OT. It's pretty awful when you're getting straight pay THAT'S TAXED as if it were OT. Adds insult to injury.

Back