K-State or Southeastern, help decide?

slow_90firebird

Hi guys, I am going to be 25 next month, and planning on quitting my job working on cars and going back to college... I got my PPL last year and want to get all the other ratings and a degree...

I live in CT and just got back from a road trip out west this week. The 2 schools I visited were Kansas state at Salina, and Southeastern Oklahoma in Durant. Before the trip, I was almost completely decided on Kansas, mainly by comparing websites... but couldnt bring myself to take out all those loans without at least visiting the place. Then I figured for an extra day and 6hrs drive, I could check out Southeastern just to see it. Now I am kinda undecided even more than I ever was haha. I would have loved to check out MTSU also, but we hit nashville at 3am and couldnt afford to be away another day... they are more expensive anyway.

I should mention that I dont really have any money put away, so I will be trying to finance the whole thing between federal / private loans. Luckily now that I am 24 I can be considered independent from my folks and qualify for the full federal aid, because I make so little in automotive. Kansas approved me for the full $9,500 a year federal, plus a $1500 grant. Still doesent come close to the roughly $40,000 a year I would need. Still working with southeastern on the financial aid but I will assume it will be similar.

Kansas Pro's
-Really Impressive Flight Program
-Nicer airplanes, bigger selection incl tailwheel and glider, also possibility of king air time
-Really cool sims up to and incl the CRJ
-Offer an A&P certificate program (pretty important to me)
Cons
-Tuition and flight are more expensive by quite a bit
-Bad Weather. I heard kansas was windy. You dont understand till you been there. It was 96 out and still chilly because the wind was a steady 35kt. It snowed there 2 days after we left.
-Campus is a ghost town. She said they have 900 enrolment with 200 residents. But it seemed like, for a college, nobody was there. I want some people to make friends with.
-Uniforms. Really? Who wants to dress up like a fake airline captain to go fly a skyhawk? But I can live with that if it gets me what I need to succeed.

SE Oklahoma Pro's
-More relaxed aptmosphere, still a nice program
-Extremely cheap tuition and flight. First 2 semesters would be in state rate, and pro rated after that. So, by keeping my GPA high enough to stay in the flight program, i would never pay full tuition.
-Weather is consistently nicer in the texoma area... less wind, better temps, probably fly all winter.
-People are just nicer around there. Its a very laid back place, definately have the more "southern attitude"
-Campus is lively and has plenty of people
Cons
-No A&P rating
-Old planes, very limited sleection. They only have one 310 for multi, and RG's for complex.
-No MEI rating in program
-No FBO on field to rent from for personal use.

Whats your guys opinions? Thanks

I went to K-State and enjoyed it but money was not an issue for me (military). The wind is great for training. The senior staff are great and the flight instructors are hit and miss like anywhere else. You simply drop the instructor and find a better one. Don't worry about if they offer MEI, it's cheaper to just get it through an FBO. As for the cost, If I had to do it the way you are, I would go for the cheapest option possible. I don't care how good of a flight program is out there, nothing compares with the ability to get ratings quickly and start instructing to build hours. Hope this helps. Good luck!

I went to Southeastern.

As you said, small school in a small town. That has goods and bads. Remember it's college, you want to enjoy it. If you accept that Friday and Saturday nights means driving to Texas, you'll be fine. Sherman/Denison is about a 30 minute drive. Dallas an hour and a half.

Lots of good flying days. Typically good instructors who like to fly a lot. Equipment is basic but well maintained; the 310 is the biggest issue. Doing their best to keep up with technology. Airport just finished major reconstruction to actually be somewhat decent. Towered field just across in Texas (alas with a ton of "why do I need to talk to anyone" foreign students). Several great training fields around (grass, short, boxed in, etc) and a short hop to Dallas's Class B.

Unless something had changed, you can still do your MEI, it's just not part of the required curriculum. There's also a Cherokee available for rent in Durant. And working in the maintenance department can get you the required apprentice time to get your A&P as well as a decent college job.

If I can help you with anything just shoot me a PM.

Back