Jumpseating to Cape Town

frascaflyer

Hey all,

I'd like to try and go to Cape Town soon, and I'm looking to jumpseat on Delta. Does anyone have any info or experiences that they can share regarding the flight from JFK-DKR-CPT? Specifically I'm looking for:

1) In Dakar, do you leave the plane or stay on?
2) What are the chances of getting bumped in Dakar (coming and going?)
3) Do you need any yellow fever vaccinations (for Dakar) even if you're only staying at the airport?
4) Any "gotchas" that might bite me somewhere in Africa?
5) Do they upgrade jumpseaters into Business Elite? (very important!)

I'm looking to go down there around the 20th or 21st and back 5 or 6 days later.

Thanks for the help!

FF

I flew the JFK-DKR-JNB route on South African as a passenger. We didn't have to leave the plane in Dakar. Don't know if they do the same on Delta or jumpseat.

never expect an upgrade while jumpseating, expect to sit in the uncomfortable jumpseat itself everytime and then you'll be pleasantly surprised if you get couch or very pleasantly surprised if the purser/lead FA puts you in first/business. Never ask for this courtesy.

never expect an upgrade while jumpseating, expect to sit in the uncomfortable jumpseat itself everytime and then you'll be pleasantly surprised if you get couch or very pleasantly surprised if the purser/lead FA puts you in first/business.

Domestic yes. You aren't going to be sitting up front internationally anyways.

Domestic yes. You aren't going to be sitting up front internationally anyways.

Can you guys (PSA/PDT) sit up front on Airways flights?

We (Eagle) can sit up front on AA flights. Going out and coming back in.

Can you guys (PSA/PDT) sit up front on Airways flights?

We (Eagle) can sit up front on AA flights. Going out and coming back in.

??? I was under the impression that the TSA doesn't allow OAL actual jumpseating returning internationally. There must be a seat in the back.

The problem is you need to be listed on the dispatch release/flight plan to be in the flight deck returning to the US and the TSA likes having that like days in advance sometimes.

We did ATL-DKR-JNB this spring, but I doubt it is much different of an experience so here you go...

Hey all,

I'd like to try and go to Cape Town soon...

1) In Dakar, do you leave the plane or stay on?
Stayed on, only a crew change.

2) What are the chances of getting bumped in Dakar (coming and going?)
Slim chance going, coming back there is a good chance. We had backup ZED fares on Lufthansa and as it turns out we needed them. At the time they were stranding revenue pax in DKR! We ended up going JNB-FRA-ORD to get back to the states. Lufthansa does CPT-FRA as well, so hopefully you can get ZED fares/ID90 for backups. Or on some other carrier, but definitely have a backup plan! It is easiest to list for your international backups before you leave the U.S.! We have a login for listing and on Lufthansa, not sure if you do though.

3) Do you need any yellow fever vaccinations (for Dakar) even if you're only staying at the airport?
Nope.

4) Any "gotchas" that might bite me somewhere in Africa?
Not that I can remember, our trip went really smooth. Capetown is much more chill than Jo'burg, but take standard precautions when travelling.

5) Do they upgrade jumpseaters into Business Elite? (very important!)
We got upgraded on the way there and it was well worth it! 18 hours is a looooong time to be stuck in coach :)

Good luck and feel free to let me know if you need any more info!

Cheers!

thanks, bike! that was exactly the kind of answer i was looking for. what time of year did you go? the flight back from CPT-JFK looks open and flyzed is showing green smileys but if it's cargo that is the reason for the bumping it obviously wouldn't be shown there. were you bumped off because of freight or because it was oversold?

ff

Cargo was the issue for us. We went in March but I think they are always weight restricted with amount of cargo they carry. Big money maker apparently!

Back