Jumpseating on international flights with US carriers

Kurt Wallinger

Hey Guys,

I'm a pilot with Eagle and was wondering if anyone had any experience jump seating with US carriers for international flights. Am planning a trip to Europe in the next 10 days and any advice/tips would be appreciated (I figure I'll do the trip in uniform just to make things easier). Is it any different then jump seating in the USA?

Thanks,
Kurt

You should be able to jumpseat on pretty much any US carrier. However, a few have "international" and "domestic" jumpseat lists. If your airline doesn't provide their pilots the opportunity to fly international (and often times The Islands don't count) you will only be on their "domestic" list. Something to check on in advance.

Also, you won't be able to sit up front on the inbound flight so there will have to be a seat in the back. You MAY be able to sit up front outbound depending on the alignment of the stars and what not.

Also, you will need to pay taxes and fees, which you should normally do at the ticket counter out front and NOT at the gate.

There's some guys on here that have a lot of experience doing this and I'm sure they'll chime in with some more advice.

Good luck

I've intl jumpseated on Delta and Continental with no problems.... However be careful with United, I was stranded in Tokyo last month because their computers told the gate agents that only UA pilots can jumpseat. The Japanese gate agents wouldn't even bother checking with the captain. They evidently we not familiar with the concept of off-line jumpseaters. And yes, we do have an international agreement with UA.

Also, you won't be able to sit up front on the inbound flight so there will have to be a seat in the back. You MAY be able to sit up front outbound depending on the alignment of the stars and what not.

Also, you will need to pay taxes and fees, which you should normally do at the ticket counter out front and NOT at the gate.

Eagle guys can sit up front on AA flights inbound. If you do sit up front you pay no taxes or fees.:D

Polar742 said:
The "other cargo companies" mostly allow off-line jumpseats.

I know ATA used to take 135 guys, do y'all? Also: Is there any sort of publication of your routes? I know a lot of it is on-demand, but I imagine you also have some "regular" runs?

I know ATA used to take 135 guys, do y'all? Also: Is there any sort of publication of your routes? I know a lot of it is on-demand, but I imagine you also have some "regular" runs?

Since we're 121, you have to be CASS.

The best thing I can give you about the routes is www.polaraircargo.com .

Polar is purely a scheduled operation, of course the occasional charter or AMC flight is added. Atlas, which is owned by the same company that owns us, is the ACMI/On-demand Charter/Military operation.

Back