Jobs in Type

JDE

Is it very common to get a job without a type rating on a particular aircraft? I'm trying to figure out if I should focus my efforts on an Excel/XLS job or if I need to keep my eyes open for other opportunities as well.

I am still learning about the job markets over here, but from what I've seen, for the most part, the only way to get a job without already having a type, or time in type for SIC's (with schooling), is knowing Chief Pilots and above personally. Most of the jobs are looking for experience in specific types of airplanes, from what I've seen.

It may not be the gospel, as there are always exceptions, and it may not be what you were wanting to hear, but that is what I believe to be true, from my limited experience job hunting and knowing a few people overseas now. Good luck!!!

That was pretty much my assumption. Occasionally I'll see a job ad that doesn't require a type, but is preferred, so there may be hope, lol.

When are you back in the US again? I'd like to pick your brain sometime if you don't mind. :)

PIC type, SIC time

How valuable would it be to have a PIC type rating on an aircraft, but only SIC time in it?

I presume it would not be enough for a captain position but would that help get an FO seat?

Time in type is very important. There is the school house way of flying and the real world way. About 500 in type and you should be good to go. As in my company, once I got on I was sent to Hawker and Challenger school and began flying PIC on those planes with 0 time in type other than at the school house. The hardest part is getting your foot through the door. One thing that you could do is wait on buying a new type (which is common in contract flying) and make a deal with a company. When you have the job in writing pending the type rating then you go get it in whatever you all agreed on. Good luck.

On a side note, I've been looking for Excel's in Moscow and I don't seem to see many of them. I will make it a habit to write down tail numbers and PM you those that FAA pilots are eligible to fly. Good luck.

On a side note, I've been looking for Excel's in Moscow and I don't seem to see many of them. I will make it a habit to write down tail numbers and PM you those that FAA pilots are eligible to fly. Good luck.

Thanks for keeping an eye out. I've been told there are quite a few over there, but my gut tells me they're probably not registered where I could fly them - but hey, it only takes one. :)

That was pretty much my assumption. Occasionally I'll see a job ad that doesn't require a type, but is preferred, so there may be hope, lol.

When are you back in the US again? I'd like to pick your brain sometime if you don't mind. :)
I'm planning on being back in the US late on 13 Nov. So, give me a couple of days at home to get caught up with the family, and we'll chat!!

Back