Job Offer in wind turbines

MNFlyboy

Ok, so I haven't really thought about this a whole lot, but spoke with a potential new employer today from a company in Canada called ReDriven. They need a pilot to be a turbine technician and travel around the country helping to work on these turbines as well as help other internal employees get private IFR ASEL certification to make the company more mobile. He said starting pay was $30-$35k Canadian. Piloting doesn't seem to be the primary objective here, as helping maintain wind turbines is, but the travel seems great and the opportunity seems lucrative. Anyone heard of these guys or know anything about them?

http://www.redriven.ca/ - website.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Sounds like a decent paying job to me! I do seem to remember a job posting like this posted here maybe a year or two ago

If the flight training is not primary, you better be able to handle it being non-existent as that may be what they're saying.

Could be a decent job, but I would do some more research and ask more questions...

The pay would be $28.5-$33k in US dollars. Sounds like there would be a lot of traveling. Do they pay per diem? What about expenses on the road? Will they train you as a turbine technician? Do they provide medical benefits? What kind of planes will you be flying? Are they registered in Canada? Do you need a Canadian liscense? What kind of people will you be traveling with and teaching to fly?

I'd have a lot more questions. From the inital sounds of it, it could be an interesting job if you have interest in wind turbines. The pay would be a bit low for me. You will be doing two jobs. Working as a technician and as a CFI.

CRJ-

It does sound like a fun job and I think I'm going to take it. They are going to train me in as a Turbine Tech, and from the sounds of it, I will be doing work in that role as well as piloting a turbo mooney. He did require the CFII though because he is a PPL and would like his Inst rating. It also sounds like he wants me to do other training with other pilots or turbine techs already in his company.

How do I go about the salary negotiation with this? My initial thoughts was that the Salary would cover my role as a Turbine Tech and my role as a pilot to fulfill my work requirements, but have a contract that also says that I will be paid X-amount for each hour of flight instruction given since that's using my CFII. If they don't want to do that, though, I think i'll still take the $30K American as a decent salary to do some flying and some other work. I won't complain.

Since it is a Canadian company, but I will be working mainly in the US, he said I won't need a work visa. I don't know what registry the aircraft is, but since I'll be flying mainly in the US, I won't need to get a Canadian certificate right? What req's would I have to have in order to fly the aircraft into Canada? Never done that before.

If he has a Canadian PPL, wouldn't i need a Canadian CFII in order for my instruction to count for his Instrument application?

Like I said, the pay would be a bit low for me, as you'll be doing two job essentially. I'd also ask about benefits and make sure they can insure you for the plane. Also, I'd be very clear on expenses while on the road. Will they pay for hotel, meals, etc? If that comes out of your salary mentioned, that would be something to think about!

With an FAA liscense you can only fly N-registered airplanes, so if their airplane has a C tail number, that'll be somethig to look into as well. The conversion to Canadian liscense is fairly simple from what I have heard.

With an FAA liscense you can only fly N-registered airplanes, so if their airplane has a C tail number, that'll be somethig to look into as well. The conversion to Canadian liscense is fairly simple from what I have heard.

§ 91.711 Special rules for foreign civil aircraft.

(a) General. In addition to the other applicable regulations of this part, each person operating a foreign civil aircraft within the United States shall comply with this section.

(b) VFR. No person may conduct VFR operations which require two-way radio communications under this part unless at least one crewmember of that aircraft is able to conduct two-way radio communications in the English language and is on duty during that operation.

(c) IFR. No person may operate a foreign civil aircraft under IFR unless—
(1) That aircraft is equipped with—
(i) Radio equipment allowing two-way radio communication with ATC when it is operated in controlled airspace; and
(ii) Navigation equipment suitable for the route to be flown.
(2) Each person piloting the aircraft—
(i) Holds a current United States instrument rating or is authorized by his foreign airman certificate to pilot under IFR; and
(ii) Is thoroughly familiar with the United States en route, holding, and letdown procedures; and
(3) At least one crewmember of that aircraft is able to conduct two-way radiotelephone communications in the English language and that crewmember is on duty while the aircraft is approaching, operating within, or leaving the United States.

Looks like it's no problem, just can't operate it in Canada unless I get my certs Canadianized (that's a good idea?)

Ok, so I'm taking the job.

I will be flying a turbo Mooney around to different sites around the US to be a Wind Turbine Technician as well as assist other technicians become pilots.

The aircraft is Canadian registered, but as long as I fly in the US, I'm golden. The question is, if these guys want me to help them with an instrument rating on their C-PPL, I would presume I would have to transfer my FAA-CFI to get a C-CFI? Maybe it would be easier to give them instruction and help them get an FAA-PPL w/ Instrument rating.

Thoughts?

The aircraft is Canadian registered, but as long as I fly in the US, I'm golden. The question is, if these guys want me to help them with an instrument rating on their C-PPL, I would presume I would have to transfer my FAA-CFI to get a C-CFI? Maybe it would be easier to give them instruction and help them get an FAA-PPL w/ Instrument rating.

Thoughts?

I'm not so sure if you can fly a Canadian registered plane. I mean you can fly the airplane, but I'm not sure if you can legally log the flight time or act as PIC. I could be wrong though, I would thoroughly research this....

Back