JetBlue sets new E190 record...

thewaffles

"Aircraft 239, the McCain-Palin charter jet, set a new record by jetting from Anchorage, to Buffalo nonstop. At 2,694 nautical miles, this was the longest E190 flight ever operated by any airline on the planet!"

"So, how did JetBlue manage to make such a long flight with the E190? JetBlue credited "a strong tailwind" and the fact that plane was not weighed down by passengers and luggage."

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/2008-11-07-jetblue-e190-record_N.htm

I don't think it's really news worthy, but still pretty cool to know!

I thought I saw that a compass erj170 made like a flight like that, but it was a delivery flight, so I guess it's the same things, but of course the erj190 gets all the credit.

The losers flying on the loser airline. Does anyone else note that the McCain campaign contracted with a NON-Union carrier.

McCain probably didn't have much, if anything, to do with choosing the carrier. That's a campaign manager decision, and I'm sure the choice was based on economics. He just showed up at the airport and got on the airplane.

The losers flying on the loser airline. Does anyone else note that the McCain campaign contracted with a NON-Union carrier.

In fact, he contracted with two non-union carriers. His plane was operated by a small non-union charter operator, and Palin's was operated by non-union JetBlue.

By contrast, President-elect Obama contracted with two unionized carriers: Midwest Airlines and North American Airlines.

Umm Velo... I'm pretty certain North American doesn't have a union either.

They're Teamsters. The IBT endorsed Obama early in the campaign.

McCain probably didn't have much, if anything, to do with choosing the carrier. That's a campaign manager decision, and I'm sure the choice was based on economics. He just showed up at the airport and got on the airplane.

It's just one more sign of the anti-labor inclinations of his entire campaign. He managed to find two non-union carriers in an industry inundated with unionism. That's quite a feat. It was certainly intentional, whether the decision was made by him or his staff.

In fact, he contracted with two non-union carriers. His plane was operated by a small non-union charter operator, and Palin's was operated by non-union JetBlue.

By contrast, President-elect Obama contracted with two unionized carriers: Midwest Airlines and North American Airlines.

It's just one more sign of the anti-labor inclinations of his entire campaign. He managed to find two non-union carriers in an industry inundated with unionism. That's quite a feat. It was certainly intentional, whether the decision was made by him or his staff.
:yeahthat::yeahthat:

PCL, you continue to be MY HERO!

And once again, as the avatar says, "OMG! Someone is wrong on the Internet!"

I thought I saw that a compass erj170 made like a flight like that, but it was a delivery flight, so I guess it's the same things, but of course the erj190 gets all the credit.

I guess I'm failing to see how a 170 (actually, 175) could set, or beat a record flight for the 190...

:confused:

I know very little about either aircraft, but I imagine that the answer lies in the fact that the E170 weighs 10000lbs less while still carrying the same amount of fuel. Just a guess.

Well of course the decision was intentional. All decisions are intentional. The intention was to choose the company that provided the best value for the money.

With the kind of donations Obama was bringing in, the campaign could probably have afforded to charter an airplane from any of the legacy carriers. Yet they went with a relatively small charter company; probably because they could provide what the campaign needed at a competitive cost. The whole union/non-union thing didn't enter anyone's mind, and the reason I know this is because the Obama campaign never once made political hay out of the fact they were using a unionzed company.

If anything, his choice of air carriers is a testament to how he will spend your tax dollars. His needs would have been served with a smaller plane, but he chartered a 757 instead.

PCL & Velo...I fly for a very small non-union charter operator. I flew a not to be named, democratic senator from the Northeast on quite a few occasions over the summer...

Does that make him anti labor?

The whole union/non-union thing didn't enter anyone's mind, and the reason I know this is because the Obama campaign never once made political hay out of the fact they were using a unionzed company.

No it did cross their mind. Everything crosses a campaign managers mind. It is about small perceptions in an 18 month campaign.

They picked North American for a reason.

PCL & Velo...I fly for a very small non-union charter operator. I flew a not to be named, democratic senator from the Northeast on quite a few occasions over the summer...

Does that make him anti labor?

Of course not.

I don't get it seggy...Take out the word "very" and its the same thing as McCain's "small non-union charter". If that makes him anti labor, why wouldn't it make this person?

First look at McCains voting record and what he wanted to do with baseball style arbitration and airline pilot contracts. He was and is anti-labor no doubt about it.

I also doubt the Senator paid for the charter services anyway. It was probably one of his lobbyist or special interest groups footing the bill. Like when we take Ted Kennedy to HYA. He just buys the ticket from USAirways and my company takes him the rest of the way.

If that Senator was footing the bill for an 18 month campaign, it would have been a unionized airline.

So Obama said, "Whomever we charter from, make sure they're union."

And McCain said, "I only want to charter from a non-union company."

You can't be serious.

Back