Jetblue Pilots Association files cards with the NMB.......

Re: Jetblue Pilots Association files cards with the NMB.....

Very good news. If you can afford it, please donate a few dollars to their effort. As Seggy knows, organizing drives aren't cheap, and these guys don't have ALPA's deep pockets to help them out. Every dollar helps.

Good for them. Its a first step at least. Now if it goes through they'll have a Union card to display to satisfy Sec. 115.E.2 of the ALPA admin manual for jumpseat access.

Good to hear!!!! :rawk:

these guys don't have ALPA's deep pockets to help them out.

Which begs the question - why not?

Many answers to that one, merely rhetorical.

This is a step in the right direction.

Good for JB! Hope it goes through for them.

Is it okay if we don't turn this into a another jumpseating thread?

Which begs the question - why not?

Many answers to that one

No there aren't. They'd get the help if they were trying to get ALPA on the property. But then, they know their constituancy. They know that all the furloughed USAir pilots on the top of the list blame ALPA for their furlough, not USAir where the blame belongs.

An independent union is probably best bet for B6 at this point. Sometime down the road, after the B6 guys figure out their not much better off, they'll come ask ALPA for a merger.

An independent union is probably best bet for B6 at this point. Sometime down the road, after the B6 guys figure out their not much better off, they'll come ask ALPA for a merger.

Exactly. The same thing is happening here right now. It's only a matter of time before pilots realize that their silly little independent unions just don't work like ALPA.

Either way, a laudable first step for the Jet Blue pilots.

Let's do what we can to help our brother and sister aviators get a leg up in their profession so they can better their careers, and in doing so, help all of us better our own.

Either way, a laudable first step for the Jet Blue pilots.

Let's do what we can to help our brother and sister aviators get a leg up in their profession so they can better their careers, and in doing so, help all of us better our own.

:yeahthat:

Didn't want my post to come off as if I was unsupportive of their venture.

I wish them the best of luck in organizing. It's a great step forward.

Playing devil's advocate here, but why do they need a union?

Do they have poor relations with management?

Are their pilots mistreated?

Does management abuse pilots and/or interpret rules to an extent that pilots are victims?

Will being a member of a union help them in the event of a merger like it did for USAirways ( east ) and TWA pilots?

Who will the new union negotiate for? Will it be for the senior pilots or the junior pilots?

What will management do in the event a union is voted onto the property?

Unions are not a panacea or cure all. Unions can't change the economy. Unions can't change management's strategy for the better ( quite the contrary more often than not ).

My prediction: If a union is voted in at jetBlue they will either cease to exist or be sold within 7 years. With no union on the property, and provided they survive this economic downturn, I see them leveraging their good position at JFK to start more international routes. Quite probably with larger aircraft.

Typhoonpilot

Does management abuse pilots and/or interpret rules to an extent that pilots are victims?

Will being a member of a union help them in the event of a merger like it did for USAirways ( east ) and TWA pilots?

Who will the new union negotiate for? Will it be for the senior pilots or the junior pilots?

Unions are not a panacea or cure all. Unions can't change the economy. Unions can't change management's strategy for the better ( quite the contrary more often than not ).

My prediction: If a union is voted in at jetBlue they will either cease to exist or be sold within 7 years. With no union on the property, and provided they survive this economic downturn, I see them leveraging their good position at JFK to start more international routes. Quite probably with larger aircraft.

Typhoonpilot

While it's definitely true that voting in Alpa will make them more expensive to operate - If they stayed with no union and made more money, do you really think they would be better off? Personally, I think all of that excess money they had would go into the bank accounts of management, and not towards the company.

Typhoonpilot

Good points. I realize you probably already know this, but it could be a variety of reasons and really rests with each pilot. Why does each pilot vote the way they do? Some might want someone looking out for them if they slide a 190 off the taxiway at 1am. Some might want better working conditions. Some might want better leverage for pay (we helped build this company and it's time to compensate us). It really hard for management to hear what that many pilots want. That's one of the reasons unions exist.

Everyone needs a union.

Deteriorating relations, from what I'm hearing.

Depends on your definition of "mistreated," I suppose. As far as I'm concerned, that 5-year renewable contract that they're all forced to sign is a "mistreatment" from the beginning.

Apparently the company is now changing rules on a regular basis.

Yes, it will help them in the event of a merger.

The union negotiates for everyone. That's part of the law, you see. You may not perceive it that way, but that's a problem with your own perceptions of reality.

What they're required to do by law: negotiate and abide by their contract.

Those things aren't the purpose of a union. A union is there to represent the interests of the employees. Managements run companies, unions represent employees.

A union being on the property will not change their business future in any way. It's highly likely that they'll merge with someone within the next few years, union or no union. The union would provide protection in that scenario.

I remember when a few disgruntled JFK crewmembers tried getting the IAM to represent us a few years back. Thankfully that didn't pass. I've been with the company for four years now, and I absolutely love it. While there might be a few things I might not agree with, it's a business so it don't really stress it. I can say that leadership will respond to you and try to help you. I've sent emails to Dave Barger and VP's and they've always responded to me quickly.

I have no actual experience in the airline pilots lifestyle and what many of you guys go through other than what I hear and read, so I really don't want to touch this subject. But I do agree with typhoon's view, a union in this company will bring it down.

I have no actual experience in the airline pilots lifestyle and what many of you guys go through other than what I hear and read, so I really don't want to touch this subject.

Perfect. You havent been in these guys shoes, i'd say it's best not to say what a union will or wont do for these guys.

Back