Jetblue Pilots Association files cards with the NMB.......

Re: Jetblue Pilots Association files cards with the NMB.....

No there aren't. They'd get the help if they were trying to get ALPA on the property. But then, they know their constituancy. They know that all the furloughed USAir pilots on the top of the list blame ALPA for their furlough, not USAir where the blame belongs.

An independent union is probably best bet for B6 at this point. Sometime down the road, after the B6 guys figure out their not much better off, they'll come ask ALPA for a merger.

You and I rarely agree, but you are right on this. Despite how anyone may feel about ALPA/TWA/USAIR relations, the animosity that a large portion of our pilot group feel towards ALPA would be a huge problem if we tried to get ALPA in. Personally, I like the idea of keeping it in house like SWA, UPS, AA (I think) do.

You and I rarely agree, but you are right on this. Despite how anyone may feel about ALPA/TWA/USAIR relations, the animosity that a large portion of our pilot group feel towards ALPA would be a huge problem if we tried to get ALPA in. Personally, I like the idea of keeping it in house like SWA, UPS, AA (I think) do.

Hey, its a first step. I applaud you guys for taking it. Remember the FedEX in house union? FPA? That lasted a couple years until the FedEx guys realized that they couldn't bring the weight of ALPA to bear on their Company.

At that point, they decided to merge with ALPA. Now, they're one of the most significant pilot groups in ALPA.

As the Chinese philosopher said, "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

What are the JB pilots unhappy about?

You know, it's amusing to me to see the anti-union types say crap like "unions destroy companies."

Folks, name the most unionized airline out there.

Southwest.

Yup, unions destroyed that airline, huh?

Hey, its a first step. I applaud you guys for taking it. Remember the FedEX in house union? FPA? That lasted a couple years until the FedEx guys realized that they couldn't bring the weight of ALPA to bear on their Company.

At that point, they decided to merge with ALPA. Now, they're one of the most significant pilot groups in ALPA.

As the Chinese philosopher said, "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

I believe ALPA snuck in via the Flying Tigers merger/acquisition/whatever it was. ALPA wasn't even on that ballot, were they?

No. What happened is the FedEx guys set up an in house Union, FPA. That operated for a couple years and then they merged with ALPA.

"It's only a matter of time before pilots realize that their silly little independent unions just don't work like ALPA."

Ummm....I kinda take issue with that...

You wanna compare W2's there PCL?

Or how about Velo?

Or how about PCL and Velo put together?

I kinda think independent is a great way to go, thank you very much.

It hasn't come up since contract 2006, but every time someone used to bring up ALPA at our message board (during contract talks), about five previous ALPA guys said "over my dead body".

Personally, I don't mean to knock ALPA in any way. Unions rawk and I'd like to see JetBlue join the crowd. Skywest and Colgan, too. But it's totally misplaced to put down an indepentent union. Sometimes they work out great for those who go that route.

If the independent union is at least recognized as a bargaining agent by the NLRB I'm all game.

It's the ones that are management's little "in-house" union that is not recognized as a bargaining agent by the NLRB that I take issue with.

Kinda difficult to convince me that Management is the best avenue to be my collective bargaining agent.

whats the use of having Union/ALPA if they're working for idots. and by idiots I mean all of us. We're luck a bunch of catty high school broads. We cut each others throats wether under ALPAs umbrella or not. Although in house the union makes a nice buffer between mgnt and the pilot group, on a macro scale it fails.

whats the use of having Union/ALPA if they're working for idots. and by idiots I mean all of us. We're luck a bunch of catty high school broads. We cut each others throats wether under ALPAs umbrella or not. Although in house the union makes a nice buffer between mgnt and the pilot group, on a macro scale it fails.

Grammar police here. Either run the spelling/grammar check, or wait until you're sober to post.

tired, not drunk. ;) either way it produced a nice mess of a statement, huh?

Just an update. The NMB investigator has determined that we do have 35+% valid interest cards. A vote has been scheduled for Jan 6th - Feb 3rd. I have no idea how the vote will turn out. I think the organizers were waiting until they had 50+% interest cards to submit the paperwork, but I don't know that for sure. I guess we'll find out in Feb.

You know, it's amusing to me to see the anti-union types say crap like "unions destroy companies."

Folks, name the most unionized airline out there.

Southwest.

Yup, unions destroyed that airline, huh?

Yes, unions can have a negative impact on a company/industry. The Big Three come mind. Now I am not placing all the blame on unions there, but... However, the airline industry still needs this sort of representation. I applaud the JB guys for taking the first step in what would most likely be a long walk.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

Good luck to the JBPA guys.

Back