Jeppesen vs. NACO charts.

i love jepps

but until i get my instrument and start flying IFR alot im sticking with NACO's for the price.

but if you can afford it, Jepps are MUCH better!

In one year of keeping my charts current I spent $300 on NACO charts

The Jepp subscription for the entire western US is $380 for the first year and $280 for subsequent years.

With the Jepp I don't have to constantly realize my chart expired yesterday, I don't have to scramble to find a chart when the FBO runs out or is closed, and I don't have to throw everything away every 56 days and get another pile of paper.

I thought NACO was cheaper, but if you consider the time and effort ivolved in keeping current, I will take the Jepps.

The Jepp subscription for the entire western US is $380 for the first year and $280 for subsequent years.

With the Jepp I don't have to constantly realize my chart expired yesterday, I don't have to scramble to find a chart when the FBO runs out or it closed, and I don't have to throw everything away every 56 days and get another pile of paper.

I thought NACO was cheaper, but if you consider the time and effort ivolved in keeping current, I will take the Jepps.

:yeahthat:

You can get an area of one or two states also. It gets pretty cheap at that point.

we get the entire midwest up here for like 100/yr. 10 states, but that is thru the school, for the money, i can't beat it! plus i have always used the jepps

speaking of NACO, they don't officially expire, only when a new ammendment comes out, but that is a huge hassle checking all your charts.

With the Jepp I don't have to constantly realize my chart expired yesterday, I don't have to scramble to find a chart when the FBO runs out or is closed, and I don't have to throw everything away every 56 days and get another pile of paper.

how do you get um that cheap?

Moot point. We use LIDO.

I think any chart has its pros and cons. I started out with Jepps, went to NACO, back to Jepps at the airline, then switched to LIDO. Honestly (for the most part) all the same information is on the chart. You just have to know where to look. Jepp has the "briefing strip," but even some NACO charts are going that route. LIDOs, not so much. But if you know the trick, it flows in the same manner. LIDOs have the AFC chart which simplifies things IMMENSELY if you have to declare an emergency or divert. Neither Jepp nor NACO have that. If I had my pick of the three, I'd say Jepp. I'd miss the AFC charts if I ever needed them, but Jepp's got the edge on SID/STARs over LIDO. NACO has about the same thing, but just isn't as visually easy to look at or find info for the most part. However, if I'm buying my own charts, it's NACO. Can't beat the price. I like Jepp but not enough to spend that much more $$$ on them.

Moot point. We use LIDO.

I think any chart has its pros and cons. I started out with Jepps, went to NACO, back to Jepps at the airline, then switched to LIDO. Honestly (for the most part) all the same information is on the chart. You just have to know where to look. Jepp has the "briefing strip," but even some NACO charts are going that route. LIDOs, not so much. But if you know the trick, it flows in the same manner. LIDOs have the AFC chart which simplifies things IMMENSELY if you have to declare an emergency or divert. Neither Jepp nor NACO have that. If I had my pick of the three, I'd say Jepp. I'd miss the AFC charts if I ever needed them, but Jepp's got the edge on SID/STARs over LIDO. NACO has about the same thing, but just isn't as visually easy to look at or find info for the most part. However, if I'm buying my own charts, it's NACO. Can't beat the price. I like Jepp but not enough to spend that much more $$$ on them.

What the heck are you responding to "Jepp vs NACO" for? You know we have no idea how to read anything but LIDO. What does that stand for anyways?:D

I'd pick Jepp. Heck, Jepp taught me IFR. Roads are good....

I like Jepps, personally, but go with whatever's cheap. I will say I DO NOT MISS DOING REVISIONS! The worst was at Amflight because we had the entire western U.S. and I had to keep them up to date when I was only flying to like the same 10 airports. Even when I went out and sat in the right seat on the line we went to San Diego, North Las Vegas and...well that's it.

I prefer the way NACO does revisions. Just throw the entire thing out and get a new one. Bad for the trees, good for my free time.

As to the charts themselves, uh, they all have the same information. There is no way a different chart is going to make you go faster or save gas, so who cares?

I prefer the way NACO does revisions. Just throw the entire thing out and get a new one. Bad for the trees, good for my free time.

As to the charts themselves, uh, they all have the same information. There is no way a different chart is going to make you go faster or save gas, so who cares?

You haven't seen LIDOs:D

Hmmm I'd post an edited copy of a LIDO but I'll bet there's something about that that includes the phrases "not allowed" and "get in trouble".

Otherwise I'd be more than happy to bring you to the WTH does this mean side.

Just to give you a hint..... in Jepps if you don't know what a symbol means, you can go to the front of your brick and look it up. If I have no clue, I have to wait until I'm at work in the airplane and consult a separate brick with the terminology and symbols.

I prefer NACO... that's what my company buys me!! If I had unlimited resources/money I'd probably still get the NACO-- it's what I'm used to. Most people would say Jepp is better but the toilet paper they print their charts on always end up a disastrous mess for me! I like that bound NACO's... they make life easy. They both have the same info. Jepp is better on the eyes, but the NACO's are just so much easier to pack away in a flight bag.

Back