JC Refresher Course for our new ATC members

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
Hey folks!

Glad to have you here!

We've had a number of reported posts, net.fisticuffs and other stuff, but let me talk about some of the core values which I started Jetcareers.com on back in 1996.

Everyone and his uncle has an aviation forum. There are probably almost 100. You can't swing a dead cat and not hit an assload of cookie-cutter, robotic, anonymous aviation forums.

But what I wanted to build here is something a little different. Instead of restricting access to certain circles, being all-aviation 24/7 (how boring would that be), charging access fees or arduous screening processes, I wanted to create a casual "living room" environment.

An environment where a newbie could ask a question and wouldn't have to be worried about a salty Space Shuttle captain biting his head off, but also an environment where that salty Space Shuttle captain could feel comfortable talking about his job without another vociferously contradicting everything he said because he read something else on "The Google".

The forums here are the tip of the iceberg. They don't necessarily represent the alpha and the omega of the social group because a large percentage of us get together for "meet and greets", various pub crawls or meet up for dinner in layover cities so the forum is more or less like a bulletin board in a college dormitory rather than "Second Life" or "World of Warcraft".

So, those are more or less the principles which I try to steer the website toward. A group of people with greatly varied experience levels, exchanging information and trying to make the profession a little better than when we found it. Of course in todays environment, that's certainly a daunting challenge, but if I didn't think we could do it, I'd be at DeVry or the Art Institute! :)

As usual, the first round's on me as long as it's not some vinegary American "Macro Brew"!

Oh, and here are "The Rules" too. :)

Back