Jack Brown's Seaplane in Fatal Midair

Anecdotally, there probably are. When I did my CSES there, we were certainly in proximity to the airport but never saw any real traffic conflicts in the couple of days I was down there. This was a few years ago, though.

Less than a year ago, didn't observe any traffic conflicts, we were keeping an eye on traffic at the neighboring airport before. In the 55 or so takeoffs I did in 2 days, only 4 of them were from Lake Jesse next to the field. Nearly all of the training happens at other lakes away from the airport, below 500' -- exactly where you wouldn't expect to find other traffic.

Handheld radios would be tricky, given that the Cub is usually flown with the door open. Both loud, and likely to fall out into the water. That said, I don't think it would be difficult at all to wire a handheld into the existing headset intercoms that the Cubs already have.

You don't need any STC's for portable equipment; more than 25 years ago I already had my "EFB" with an extra battery (It was then cumbersome as I had to integrate the various components). Today all you need is a portable radio w/headphone adapter + a portable ADS-B they are all battery powered. Someone here also mentioned the usability of cellphones. What's the value of human life ? there is just no excuse.

To my knowledge there isn’t a portable with battery as primary electrical source ADSB out solution right now. Plenty of “for reference only” portable consumer ADSB in recorders such as Stratus, Stratux, Garmin and others… but not ADSB out. I could be misinformed or uninformed on availability of such device, but ADSB out and transponders are TSO’d which creates certification hurdles that battery as primary power can’t overcome.

Last edited:
To my knowledge there isn’t a portable with battery as primary electrical source ADSB out solution right now. Plenty of “for reference only” portable consumer ADSB in recorders such as Stratus, Stratux, Garmin and others… but not ADSB out. I could be misinformed or uninformed on availability of such device, but ADSB out and transponders are TSO’d which creates certification hurdles that battery as primary power can’t overcome.

Per AC 90-114B section 3.4.2, it is possible to install a battery powered ADS-B Out, and a battery powered transponder. Some issues - ADSB needs to be permanently installed, no portable units. And once it is installed, it needs to be operated all of the time - that means a fairly large battery is necessary. The types of aircraft that would want a battery powered solution (gliders, light aircraft) are already constrained by weight. This permanently lowers the useful load, and also permanently limits endurance to be equal to the battery life. The endurance issues are probably a bigger issue for gliders.

It is a fairly small segment of the market, so not surprising that avionics manufacturers aren't spending a lot of R&D money on low power and low weight ADSB equipment.

Portable ADS-B out systems do indeed exist both in the EU and the States. I think that they do require (at least in the US) a TSO it's been a very long time since I was involved in aircraft avionics/electronics and kinda need to be updated on the newest gadgetry by my younger guys.

The point in this case is ADS-B / in + the radio would have provided plenty info on traffic in the area and would more than likely have averted this unnecessary tragedy.

A quick search yielded the products below, I don't know if SkyEcho has a US TSO but there are other systems out there. Not sure if the skyvision is on sale yet. when I have more time I'll do some more in depth research to educate myself :cool:

An interesting read on Drone ADS-B out solution. Maybe this could be applied to aircraft with no electrical systems, ULM's and
balloons

Last edited:
Even ADSB-In would give the Cub some additional S.A. though. May not help the other planes know where they are, but it's an improvement...

Per AC 90-114B section 3.4.2, it is possible to install a battery powered ADS-B Out, and a battery powered transponder. Some issues - ADSB needs to be permanently installed, no portable units. And once it is installed, it needs to be operated all of the time - that means a fairly large battery is necessary. The types of aircraft that would want a battery powered solution (gliders, light aircraft) are already constrained by weight. This permanently lowers the useful load, and also permanently limits endurance to be equal to the battery life. The endurance issues are probably a bigger issue for gliders.

It is a fairly small segment of the market, so not surprising that avionics manufacturers aren't spending a lot of R&D money on low power and low weight ADSB equipment.

I was coming home from the Reno Races at 15.5k a few years ago. I was getting an ADS-B return on my nose 15 or so miles ahead at my altitude. The guy was maneuvering. Who's doing turns at that altitude? The return slowly climbed above me still making turns. Never dawned on me until I saw him. A glider trying to stay in a thermal at 16k and climbing.

Unlike transponders of old, the newer ADS-B transponders use a lot less power. Battery technology has really changed, these new lightweight batteries, 7 pounds, are 1/4 the size and weight. The little motorcycle sized batteries easily crank a big bore engine, but some of us have a W&B issue, we need that weight where it is.

You don't need any STC's for portable equipment; more than 25 years ago I already had my "EFB" with an extra battery (It was then cumbersome as I had to integrate the various components). Today all you need is a portable radio w/headphone adapter + a portable ADS-B they are all battery powered. Someone here also mentioned the usability of cellphones. What's the value of human life ? there is just no excuse.
Im glad I finished my SES in FL in an amphib but I did some straight float flying at Kenmore previously.

I remember the alternating flashing landing lights. Yellow is a nice colour but maybe we need pink J3s

I know we like to downplay the role of technology in aviation, but I'll stick by my guns that ADSB is a game changer. At least for those of us who flew before it and still primarily rely on our eyes and use it as a very important secondary source, or to gauge where traffic is you have no chance of seeing. I quit flying for 10 years and said I wouldn't come back until the requirement went into effect, and I don't regret that decision.

There is no logical reason why any GA aircraft today is operating without a radio and ADS-B specially a commercial operator; that's border line criminal to do it in a in a congested area. A cheap radio + headphone adapter is less than $ 300.00 !!!!! ADS-B $ 800.00 a pretty good bargain for human life .
Agreed 100%
There’s NO reason that we should have planes in the sky without a radio and ADS-B or TCAS in 2023. Heavy equipment limits your range in a glider? Try a coffin.

Stupid, preventable loss of life.

Back