It's never too late?

Low&Slow

Ancora imparo
BeaverwithGeorgeEliotquote_zpse3142073.jpg

This quote was made about 120+ years ago. Is it still accurate, specifically when referring to working as a professional pilot? Flying for a living is all I've ever wanted to do since I was about three years old.
I'm 45 now, and will be taking about a one year all expenses paid "vacation" to a location nobody wants to go to very soon. I will be turning 47 shortly after my return if I haven't already turned by then. I currently have CSEL/CMEL, Instrument Rating, just under 500 hrs, an Associate in Science degree (Engineering), an EMT license, and I am an airframe mechanic (not licensed by the FAA).
I am currently unemployed and am thinking about getting my CFI/CFII when I get back to the USA and trying to finally get a career as a professional pilot started. I currently have a really good job offer to work in NC as an airframe mechanic but unfortunately, due to some unforeseen recent events in my personal life, it looks very improbable that I will be able to take that job.
I have a family, but I don't need to be a Legacy Captain or make six figures to be happy. To be honest, I really don't know exactly what I want to do as a pilot, I just like to fly. Living comfortably while working/flying someplace beautiful would be the dream. Especially if I could fly a warbird like the DC-3, -4, or -6, C-46. I think I'd also like to fly a Beaver, Goose, or anything along those lines.
I'm not a city boy by any stretch of the imagination and don't like crowds or traffic so I'm not sure if airlines are right for me. Not sure I could stand to live in a suburb or a city. I like the peace, privacy, simplicity, and quiet of the country. Whether that place is in Alaska, Idaho, Wyoming, Michigan's UP, the Caribbean, Bora Bora, Hawaii, or??? Someplace not crowded or desolate, but someplace beautiful with a small community or communities nearby where everybody knows everybody, or just about everybody. I'm not a hermit, I just don't like huge, heavily populated areas.
Also, based on what I gather on here, I really need to get a Bachelor Degree in something if I want to fly professionally. If I did that too, then I would be somewhere around 50+ by the time I finished it and probably have student loan debt. Not sure I could ever afford to get an ATP, and I'm not sure how important that is to success as a pilot not flying in a 121 world.
Anyhow, I'm wondering if I'm being unrealistic to try and start a professional flying career this late in life. Is it too late to be what I might have been, or do I still have a shot at flying for a living?

You don't need a degree to be a bush rat in Alaska or a freight dog in some podunk part of the country. In fact, Freight Runners in Wisconsin is a pretty decent place to land a job if you "just want to fly" and live in a rural part of upper Wisconsin. Places like Baraboo or Menominee or Rhinelander. And the pay is at least bearable last time I checked.

Now making a career out of it AND expecting a professional salary is where the tricky part is and most have the issues. Having a degree is not mandatory, it just helps when trying to move up a few notches into the better career jobs.

I do like your quote. As I get older it makes more sense. All I ever wanted to do was be a pilot and fly for a living. At 30 years old and a 10 year veteran of the industry I'm indifferent to it and shudder at the thought of catching the commute for the next trip. Lately I have been pretty excited and the thought of my side job that I've been involved with for the last few years....carpentry. For some reason I can't stop looking at drywalling videos, books etc and can't wait for the next big drywall job to try out new tips, techniques, and tools. And I'm pretty sure 10 years in the drywall industry would have me just as bored as aviation has me today.

I guess whatever you decide.....good luck.

For the kinds of jobs you'll like you don't need a degree. Don't waste your time. I'd get your CFI and head for an instructing job in Alaska. Shouldn't be hard to come by and then you can network yourself into something decent with round engines. You don't need a degree for that.

You'll forever be asking yourself the "What if" question for the rest of your life if you don't. Do it!

Back