It's getting closer... D-Jet VLJ/ATP Training announcement.

Captain_Bob

I was going to post this in a relevant older thread... but I suppose it could be considered necroposting. So I'll just start a new one.

Diamond Aircraft News Release said:
October 07/08

Diamond Aircraft selects ATP for factory-authorized D-JET Flight Training

Diamond Aircraft has announced that ATP (Airline Transport Professionals) will provide factory-authorized initial and recurrent type rating flight training for the Diamond D-JET personal jet.

Full story here: Diamond Aircraft Press Release 10/07/2008

On that note... any other news on the VLJ's? I heard that DayJet was in a world of hurt with the Eclipse.

Bob

Re: It's getting closer... D-Jet VLJ/ATP Training announcem

I saw it too in my AOPA email. Maybe a CFI gig would be a good thing to get some light turbine PIC!

I would imagine the CFIs that have been instructors for a while will be the ones doing this. The guys that go through the ATP 90 day program with fresh ink on their certs won't be the instructors. If they are....well, I'd be scared. Took me a while to get used to instructing in a 172. If I went straight into instructing in a VLJ, I'd probably be dead. Seriously. Nevermind the fact that insurance companies are probably gonna want either turbine time or time in type in order to insure the CFIs. Either that, or ATP is gonna be paying out the whazoo on premiums.

I do have to say with the flagging economy, the slow down in hiring and the rising costs of training, ATP had to do SOMETHING in order to keep the revenue stream flowing.

You don't have to worry about necroposting, the mods took care of that. So if there is a thread that hasn't been locked yet, then it's fair game.

Piecing together bits and pieces of facts. . . it looks like the first delivery dates for the D-Jet have slipped to Q2 '09, and while ATP will have "access" to airplanes starting with the first deliveries, they will not get their own airplanes until about a year after the first deliveries.

That probably means that ATP will provide training for owner-operators starting with the first deliveries in 2009, but will not integrate the D-Jet into the ACPP until sometime in or after 2010, if there are no further delays. . .

Anyone have any better info.?

And they're are always "further delays"

I was going to post this in a relevant older thread... but I suppose it could be considered necroposting. So I'll just start a new one.

Full story here: Diamond Aircraft Press Release 10/07/2008

On that note... any other news on the VLJ's? I heard that DayJet was in a world of hurt with the Eclipse.

Bob
Hmm...considering the way the industry is, I wonder if this is the right time.

By the way, where have you been?!

By the way, where have you been?!
Livin' and Lovin' ;) (Partially quoted from R2F with my own addition.) :)

You gonna make it to Vegas?

I think Kellwolf is right... I'm sure they won't be using wet-ink, turbine typed CFI's do the Type ratings for Individuals and Businesses that make enough money to own and operate these birds.

This VLJ thing is supposed to be the next big thing in aviation... and Lord knows that Commercial and General Aviation needs a boost right now. Not many other flight schools looking this far ahead that I can see. As far as the VLJ Lineup... I know Adam Aircraft is out of the running... any news on the PiperJet, Cirrus "The Jet", or even the HondaJet? I had seen mockups of these at previous AOPA conventions... but haven't been to one in two years, so I'm a bit behind.

These birds seem sexy to me... and I think there's money to be made in this niche of the industry as a CFI once the market saturation starts to peak. If it peaks... ;)

Bob

Piecing together bits and pieces of facts. . . it looks like the first delivery dates for the D-Jet have slipped to Q2 '09

About a year ago, they delayed the program 6 months in order to put a more-powerful motor on D-JET. They are still expecting certification Q2 09, which was their original goal after announcing the engine change. I think they want deliveries before Oshkosh.

ATP better get on the stick. I am expecting to be in one of the first classes. I don't want some 25 year old CE-172 ace teaching me how systems work on a jet.

Livin' and Lovin' ;) (Partially quoted from R2F with my own addition.) :)

You gonna make it to Vegas?

I think Kellwolf is right... I'm sure they won't be using wet-ink, turbine typed CFI's do the Type ratings for Individuals and Businesses that make enough money to own and operate these birds.

This VLJ thing is supposed to be the next big thing in aviation... and Lord knows that Commercial and General Aviation needs a boost right now. Not many other flight schools looking this far ahead that I can see. As far as the VLJ Lineup... I know Adam Aircraft is out of the running... any news on the PiperJet, Cirrus "The Jet", or even the HondaJet? I had seen mockups of these at previous AOPA conventions... but haven't been to one in two years, so I'm a bit behind.

These birds seem sexy to me... and I think there's money to be made in this niche of the industry as a CFI once the market saturation starts to peak. If it peaks... ;)

Bob
Not sure if I'll make it to Vegas just yet. I'll let you know, as I'm on reserve this month. :)

If the economics of owing a VLJ look better than the average SR22, Columbia 300, or Mooney, I guess there would be a nice market. I'm just not sure considering how the economy is so shaky that it would be the right time. However, at least they're positioning themselves for when that does happen. :)

I have too look, but I thought Honda was just doing research with their HondaJet, and not looking to mass produce it.

Back