Itchycoo Park in London

Mad Doggy Dog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJzcF0v1eOE

To Itchycoo Park, that's where I've been!

It's all too beautiful
It's all too beautiful
It's all too beautiful

After exhaustive, and possibly erroneous, research.... I have located Itchycoo Park, made famous(?) by the above hippy song from the 1960's.

It is in London. The East End.

So on a recent LHR [London Heathrow] layover, I set out to find Itchycoo Park.

I know what you are thinking: You had nothing better to do on your downtown London layover than that?

Sadly, yes.

The weather forcast called for sunny and 70 degrees. Naturally, of course, it rained all afternoon, the deluge beginning the moment I stepped off the tube train at the east side station of Ham. [Mmmm, ham.] I had my waterproof raingear on though. Never trust the wx in England.

My plan was to walk a mile to Itchycoo Park and then play the song Itchycoo Park on my little Travel Speedster electric guitar while there.

Why?

Why not!

Of course with all the rain, [and it was sunny leaving my hotel mind you,] I didn't want to get my Speedster wet.

Itchycoo Park is actually Little Ilford Park. The lead singer of Small Faces lived near this park and it was the inspiration for that song. Well, that and probably lots of drugs. Hey, it was the 60's man!

Itchycoo refers to a slang term for stinging nettles which grow there and cause itchyness.

I have no idea what a stinging nettle is. I think I saw some laying on the ground. But I didn't want to touch it and get a case of the itchycoos.

That would be an OJI.

So I left the park and headed for the nearest pub.

It is always fun drinking with Brits!

Then I returned to the hotel, met up with the other FO and two FAs, and hit the town. Soho!

----------------------------------------------------------------

This was part of a 6 day trip, with a 2 day New York City layover in the middle.

On my NYC layover, I went out to New Jersey to visit an old friend.

Never under estimate the tremendous lure of the Garden State!

We went to mo' better park with his family. Ramapo Mountains Park. A very pretty place. Yes, New Jersey has mountains in the NW corner of the state.

There were no itchycoos there. My friend's 10 year old son found a frog and thought it would be great fun to put it on the back of his dog. He also found a red newt. The dog had no interest in either of the animals.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Returning to LHR, our crew had a jolly good time at a local pub. The Speedster made a cameo and there was an impromtu concert.

London is a great place!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pictures:

1. Little Ilford Park
2. aka - Itchycoo Park
3. A possible itchycoo
4. Ramapo Mountains
5. Doggyback frog ride
6. She turned me into a newt!........I got better.

Attachments

• Copy of 2008-05 CDG LHR 033.jpg
    Copy of 2008-05 CDG LHR 033.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 161
  • Copy of 2008-05 CDG LHR 035.jpg
    Copy of 2008-05 CDG LHR 035.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 284
  • Copy of 2008-05 CDG LHR 048.jpg
    Copy of 2008-05 CDG LHR 048.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 163
  • Copy of 2008-05 CDG LHR 061.jpg
    Copy of 2008-05 CDG LHR 061.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 136
  • Copy of 2008-05 CDG LHR 065.jpg
    Copy of 2008-05 CDG LHR 065.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 145
  • Copy of 2008-05 CDG LHR 068.jpg
    Copy of 2008-05 CDG LHR 068.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 125
Ahhh - good someone found the stinging nettle picture - nasty little blighters these are - weeds all over the UK. However their growth promotes the growth of a plant nicknamed the Doc Leaf - so called because of its property to subdue the sting of the stinging nettle. Stinging nettles are of the greatest annoyance to walkers, thanks to their penchant for growing at the edges of gravelled paths.

For your next visit to London (since you mentioned there was nothing better to do) might I recommend(as I'm living near London):-
The London Eye - great views - 30 minute ride
Buckingham Palace - the Queen's residence is open to public viewing in the summer
Tower of London - guided tours by the Beefeaters (or officially Yeomen of the Tower) are hilarious, including the execution stories and the numberous kings and queens buried there, not to mention some of the Crown Jewels (including the Queen's Coronation crown + gown)
These will cost you a little bit, but well worth it!

For food:
if you are in Soho you gotta get a Chinese, order a la carte not the buffet stuff, it's always better quality.

Thanks ASL.

Will do some of the more popular tourist attractions in London next time.

I just wanted something different for this trip.

I have grown a fondness for your fine English bitters and ales. Those can be a meal in and of themselves!

How do I get to Abbey Road?

How do I get to Abbey Road?

from wiki.
Abbey Road Studios is a five-to-ten minute walk from the St. John's Wood Underground Station. From Central London, take the Jubilee (Silver) Line toward Stanmore (northwest). The St. John's Wood Station is the first station in Zone 2 of the Underground. When exiting the station, the visitor is facing south at the intersection of A41 (Finchley Rd./Wellington Rd.) and Acacia Road (to the left)/Grove End Road. (to the right). To reach the studio, turn right and walk down Grove End Road, passing Waverley Place and Loudon St. on your right; addresses decrease in number as you walk. As Grove End Road veers sharply to the left, Abbey Road is to the immediate right. The first pedestrian crossing is the "album cover pedestrian crossing." Three Abbey Road is the unaddressed white building across the street. This is a very busy main road, and caution is urged at all times in crossing and photographing the pedestrian crossing.

Back