It wasn't a question!

jtrain609

Antisocial Monster
So I was talking with approach control today and I dunno what their problem was, maybe somebody could shed some light on this. It didn't matter what I said, the controller replied with "That's correct." Like I had about three calls that went like this:

Approach: Flight 9092 turn right 020 climb and maintain 7,000'
Me: Right 020 and we're 3,000 climbing 7,000 for flight 9092
Approach: That's correct

At first I figured maybe he couldn't hear me well and he was trying to verify what I said, but he did it three or four times in a row. Is there anything wrong with the call that I made? Is there anything I could do differently so that controllers won't be confused about me reading back an instruction?

Dude, he's just acknowledging that your readback is correct. It's not required that he do it but if he's not all that busy, it seems like a good idea. It's no big deal, I've heard ATC guys play that way lots of times.

He's not cranky... actually just being nice believe it or not... since he doesn't have to do that. Similar to a "Readback correct." statement from Clearance. Just let it go...

Canada's response to all my readbacks... "Rogerrrrrrr..."
Mexico's response to all my readbacks... "Royer Yetlink"

;)

In Canada they say, "Check that", as in, "I hear you and we be on the same page". I could never bring myself to say it, though.

actually any time I have heard ATC in canada (yes I know they do things different) but after each pilot readback the controller would key up and say "roger" or "thats correct"-Steve

Thanks for the replies guys. I think it's just one controller down in the Tracon 'cause I rolled through this guys sector again for a few minutes and got the exact same thing. Funny because I haven't heard any other controllers respond like that, and I didn't realize it was normal.

Canadians don't have a ramp. They have an apron. And you best not forget it or they won't let you taxi (in Toronto anyways)

There's a dude in New York Center that will always acknowledge your readbacks with a "Roger" no matter how busy he is.

He's not cranky... actually just being nice believe it or not... since he doesn't have to do that. Similar to a "Readback correct." statement from Clearance. Just let it go...

Canada's response to all my readbacks... "Rogerrrrrrr..."
Mexico's response to all my readbacks... "Royer Yetlink"

;)

Canadian controllers are responsible for you reading back the correct instruction. If they tell you to climb to FL230 and you blow through it, they are at fault, so that is why they say roger after your readback.

Last night on the way down to Atlanta I came across two brand new controllers. One of them at a military base tracon was having alot of trouble and the sup kept getting on and correcting her. I'm usually on a 150 something heading down there and they usually put me 10 right to go around a restricted area and then back on course in 20 miles. She gave me a 270 heading for 5 miles and then back direct. I was going to ask for the usual 10 right but she was in the weeds as it was. All the pilots on the freq kept on trying to boost her confidence saying "we've all been there", "keep trying you'll get it", and the best from a Delta pilot "don't be nervous Dave here has been doing this for a 100 years and he still can't talk on the radio."

Last night on the way down to Atlanta I came across two brand new controllers. One of them at a military base tracon was having alot of trouble and the sup kept getting on and correcting her. I'm usually on a 150 something heading down there and they usually put me 10 right to go around a restricted area and then back on course in 20 miles. She gave me a 270 heading for 5 miles and then back direct. I was going to ask for the usual 10 right but she was in the weeds as it was. All the pilots on the freq kept on trying to boost her confidence saying "we've all been there", "keep trying you'll get it", and the best from a Delta pilot "don't be nervous Dave here has been doing this for a 100 years and he still can't talk on the radio."

It's odd that I never heard that a single time when I was in training. Two possibilities. 1) I was never that bad, or 2) It's because she was a she and not a he. Mmmm........which one is more realistic? :sarcasm:

Now, PLENTY of times I was supervising new MALE controllers and heard "Can you please get someone on freq who isn't going to vector me to Texas and back or kill me?"

i've said right on a coupla times. Around southern california getting cleared direct somewhere actually on course is somewhat rare so one day we got a really good shortcut so i said right on, cool thanks. Guy i was flyin with looked at me and just shook his head

Back