Is this legal????

He is either a passenger or instructor. If he doesn't sign the logbook, and IS providing instruction, he is violating the regs. If he is sitting as a passenger and puts the time in HIS logbook, he is violating the regs, unless the other guy is under the hood. They have to agree that the safety pilot will act as PIC, and the flying pilot will be able to log PIC, via 61.51.

If your friend is getting paid, why not just give him instruction and sign it off as such? The private pilot is still able to log PIC and get the XC time required. It seems win/win from my perspective.

Student not getting charged: :)
Instructor getting paid: :)
Student and Instructor logging legit time: :)

What is wrong with that scenario?
:yeahthat:

mojo is right on.

just give him dual.
also, save some of that time for instrument training x-c

I guess what gets me is that with this 'plan', after his 50hrs of babysitting, he'll be no more able to function independently in the system than when he started. If they don't trust him to go on a VFR xc due to language issues, how the h&ll is he going to successfully complete an IFR flight?
If he doesn't meet a prerequisite like 'English Proficient', someone somewhere still did him and the ATC system a disservice by giving him his certificate, and they're doing a second disservice by allowing him to work on a rating far more demanding of efficient verbal communication for flight safety, without addressing that deficiency.
Is there something we're missing, like additional English classes or something?
Otherwise, they're still just taking his money, just a bit less of it since they knocked off the instruction bill.

Back