Is this happening?

chunk75

Flying Magazine - May 2002

A security system that uses biometrics embedded in an identification smart card has begun being tested at Flight Safety International's training academy in Vero Beach, Florida.

The system uses a "SkyGuard" card that contains a 16K computer chip that can record pertinent information about the pilot as well as a photograph AND a fingerprint.

This information is recorded on the card - a simple 2 minute procedure.

Once the information is loaded onto the computer chip in the card, a fingerprint reader can be used at an ACCESS POINT to an airport or at a dispatcher's post before releasing an airplane to confirm that the fingerprint on the card AND the bearer information match. All the dispatcher has to do is swipe the card through a card reader while the person pictured places their finger on the fingerprint reader. If the fingerprint on the card and that of the pilot don't correspond, the dispatcher is presented with a message that states, "Fingerprint doesn't match. ACCESS DENIED."

Seems like the FAA could easily get a similiar pilot / flight crew program going to enhance safety and eliminate much of the crew issues at security checkpoints.

When I was visiting a couple of months ago, I was informed that the guys to set the system up were arriving the day after I left. So, I would say yes. The person who was explaining this to me said the chip was 32 mb, and would also include the total hours of flight time also . . I guess I will find out in June.

Yes it has happened.

I was in the first small group of students (as well as some CFI's and admin people) to get these cards. It is just a test run and they have not got the thumb print readers at the flight line yet. I do have the embedded card in my wallet (all it has is my thumb print).

I forget all of the details, but some professional pilots group and is supporting research on the concept to make it easier for flight crews to get around different airports without 15 security checks.

Participation in this trial run was optional, but as far as I know nobody declined.

Back