Investment Advisor

Would you take financial advise from someone you only see once a year if that?

• Sure why not?

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Heck no!

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

brian434

Well guys and gals looking for some advice. My current flying gig allows me LOTS of time to study during the day while I wait in various FBOs around the country side. I was thinking about getting my licenses to do financial advising.

According to Forbes financial advising is among the top 20 or so jobs for the next decade. Now here is the hang up... I am a military spouse. Anyone hear of someone doing this stuff and working with clients that they may only see once or twice a year. I want to focus my practice on military families but with everyone moving all the time it might get tricky. I guess as long as I was always tied to my phone they'd still get the same services.

What do you guys and gals think? Would you take advise from someone that you built a professional relationship with but haven't seen in a year or two about your livelihood?

Not a bad idea, but the problem might come of you plan to focus on the military families. IF they use the TSP, there is no option for outside management. Many don't participate because they plan on staying 20+ and getting the pension and are banking on that income.

Edward Jones has a training program of sorts, but if you look at that model, it's about being in one place and building relationships.

While the TSP is a good option for those that have always done it and are towards the end of their career it works just like an IRA in it's tax benefits. I don't need to make much money from this and I really like the idea of helping military families so my target is those low income new boots :-)

Most don't save but if they start early with a ROTH or other investment product they will make much more in net gains over their 20+ years and be taxed much less on those gains as they will surely be in a different tax bracket upon retirement.

Are you looking at acting more as a financial advisor in the sense of selling investment products that you believe in, or in the sense of selling coaching without selling product?

Selling investments I believe in is what will keep the lights on but coaching is something I'd like to do on the side for those either in trouble or just getting started in life.

Back