Investigators Suspect Pilot Distraction In Two Incidents

While not a defense there have been a number of cases of aircraft landing on the taxiways at KATL. For a while one or more taxiways have actually been used as runways while long term construction was occurring on a runway. In every case that I am aware of there was some sort of distraction by one of the pilots- doing paper work when they should be looking outside, a last minute runway change... etc. Again, it gets back to complacency. You do the same repetitive task 100's if not 1000's of times and you begin to think you do not need to give it 100% of your attention. Throw in a little fatigue, maybe a little last minute change, then you get bit.

And why not?

Because the difference between a curved taxiway in low visibility at night and a runway with an ALSF-II, CL's, and HIRL is not the same as a runway and a wide, parallel taxiway looking into the sun in the early morning. It's a ludicrous comparison.

Because the difference between a curved taxiway in low visibility at night and a runway with an ALSF-II, CL's, and HIRL is not the same as a runway and a wide, parallel taxiway looking into the sun in the early morning. It's a ludicrous comparison.

Unless the sun starts coming up in the west (they were cleared to land on 27R) and the almanac information is wrong (civil twilight was @ 0721, incident occurred @ 0605), then those portions of your argument are irrelevant.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?id=OPS10IA001&rpt=fa

Unless the sun starts coming up in the west (they were cleared to land on 27R) and the almanac information is wrong (civil twilight was @ 0721, incident occurred @ 0605), then those portions of your argument are irrelevant.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?id=OPS10IA001&rpt=fa

Yup, I was wrong...but comparing a curved taxiway in low visibility to a large runway with the lights turned up is still a lot different from the conditions faced by the Delta crew.

Off topic...

Hey Zmiller4, is that a boxer pup in your avatar? Sure is a cute dog!

Thanks! That's Juno, definitely all boxer. She's up to 60lbs now...still pretty cute, but makes my wife feel a little more comfortable when I'm out on a trip.

Thanks! That's Juno, definitely all boxer. She's up to 60lbs now...still pretty cute, but makes my wife feel a little more comfortable when I'm out on a trip.

Nice! My friend just got a little girl too (Zoey)... She's about 8 weeks old now, and totally cute!

Back