International Operations: Overflight and landing permits.

QXDX

For the Part 91 operators out there: when you are flying internationally, how do you go about getting overflight and landing permits expeditiously? The couple times I have tried to get them have been laborious and time consuming (measured in several business days). I figure there has to be a faster way. How far out are international trips planned?

I don't. I use Universal to get permits and arrange handling. They've been able to do it with as little as overnight notice for Mexico. I've had at least a week for trips further south so hard to tell there.

For the Part 91 operators out there: when you are flying internationally, how do you go about getting overflight and landing permits expeditiously? The couple times I have tried to get them have been laborious and time consuming (measured in several business days). I figure there has to be a faster way. How far out are international trips planned?
You use a competent handler. Don't leave home without one.

I put in the time and labour. The company I worked for was too cheap to use a handler and I couldn't trust them to do anything themselves. The only thing they had to do was pay the bill, which led to an interesting scenario with a revoked Cuba overflight permit somewhere near Grand Cayman....

Yeah, use a handler.

One place to start is with the IFIM (International Flight Information Manual). I haven't had to look at one in many years but as I recall all the info you need is in there.

The local agent you use for ground services should be able to secure t/l permits as well as slots, if needed.
Official overflight permit requirements can be found in the AIP for each country. If you don't use a permitting agent like UA, you can expect the full permit lead time. Some agents are quite adept at finding ins at the host nation CAA that will slide your overflight permit to the top of the stack. That may shorten the lead time by a day or three.

Back