Intermittent Fasting

bc2209

Has anyone ever tried it?

I'm considering giving it a go just to change things up and see how well or how not so well it goes.

Has anyone ever tried it?

I'm considering giving it a go just to change things up and see how well or how not so well it goes.

For one of my fights I did this and was in the best shape of my life, but I believe the biggest issue was my discipline on what I did eat and how hard I was training. If you're looking to lose weight the most important thing/only important thing is take in less calories than you're burning. Everything works as long as you follow this rule. Once you're at an elite level of fitness then tweaking matters and is different for everyone according to your body type, but to just lose weight it's as simple as eat less calories and train more. That's all that matters.

16/8 off is not only very easy to keep especially with our schedules, but it has had tremendous benefits on my weight loss.

I'm trying to drop down to a low body fat percentage. I find it hard to eat smaller meals throughout the day. And hard as in SUCKS. So i'm going to try the fast and then eat a bunch and fast and eat a bunch (caloric deficit that is).

Just looking for some opinions or reviews on how it worked for you.

I am not a of fan of fasting. I tried in way in the past and never felt great while doing it and then tended to over eat when I came off a fast. You simply need to eat healthier, better and not so many processed foods and fried foods and smaller portions. Even traveling, you can always bring or find yogurt, nuts, fruit, granola bars for snacks. Then you will be eating less food at regular mealtimes. It's a state of mind and a lifestyle change. Forget the hamburger and fries and order a chicken or tuna salad or a whatever salad. Limit sugary drinks too. You'll feel better. Stay away from drinks loaded with caffeine too, especially the so called energy drinks. You really only need one main sensible meal a day, a light meal for breakfast and some healthy snacks the rest of the time. Healthy choices and reasonable portions. Move more, eat less. Stay hydrated with cold water and you'll feel less hungry.

I know it's hard and it takes time. getting rid of a lifetime of bad habits doesn't happen overnight. You just have to keep pushing yourself, be consistent, disciplined and stay motivated. It takes time. You'll eventually find your stride and will be comfortable in your new eating habits. Don't give up. People think they have to give up everything. It's a matter of allowing yourself some goodies once in a while, just not as often and in much small portions. You have to find creative ways to prepare veggies fruits, healthy proteins and there is a huge variety of healthy snacks. Again, this takes more effort than just pulling up to the fast food joint or ordering a pizza.

Trust me, it's easier to eat smaller portions of better foods than to starve yourself and wind up binging afterwards. Limit your alcohol intake too. It's not going to do you any good to exercise, burn up calories and then drink them all back again. lol Hang in there. It's a marathon not a sprint. the more you stick with your program, the better you will feel and you'll see better results.

Yeah...biochemically, a drastic fasting-binging cycle isn't going to help you much. I guess you'd be giving your pancreas and liver a workout of their own, but that's not really the idea! Instead just eat when you're hungry (are you sure you're not thirsty? Mild thirst feels exactly like hunger), and keep track of portion sizes. Alternatively, have you looked into ketogenic eating? You eat mostly fats and no carbs, and it helps your body burn fat a lot more effectively without breaking down muscle tissue for energy, which might be good for someone who's already got the muscle they want. It's recommended for epileptics and folks with metabolic disorders, but there's a bit of a niche in certain fitness communities that swear by it. Might be worth looking into.

but to just lose weight it's as simple as eat less calories and train more. That's all that matters.

I found the opposite to be the case. Going into this last spring, I was slowly gaining weight while My daily gym routine was typically 4-6 weightlifting exercises, 3-4 sets each (with up to 20 reps/set) and 1 hour of cardio. End March early April I went on a vacation that took me out of the gym for 3 weeks. I noticed far fewer carb cravings during the vacay and actually came back 10 lbs lighter. Since then I tweaked my workout to 1 hour of cardio per week, Only doing weights 3 days per week, and doing far fewer reps but at higher weights. This has kept the fat percentage down and I don't feel the craving to fat hord.

I've been fasting for about a year now, and have tried all the major methods. Combining fasting with a primal/paleo diet has done wonderful things for my health and body. When at work, I'll do 16/8, and sometimes 20/4 depending on availability of food. If nothing worthwhile is available, I just wait until there is. I also do a 30-40 hour fast once a month.

The first few weeks takes adjusting, but after you realize that a lack of food won't kill you, it's almost liberating. At very least, I'd give the eat-stop-eat method a try. That method is simple and effective.

You'll not only see pretty impressive changes in body composition, but also energy and and alertness. There's absolutely no harm in trying....

Also, stop worrying about calories, especially if you're doing the longer fasts. You'd have to grossly over eat to make up the calories you didn't eat while fasting.

In college I was down to 130 lbs and under 2% body fat. I never fasted. I looked pretty good, was pretty ripped for my weight. Could bench 200, do sets of 50 lb dumb bell curls, etc.

If you're trying to lose weight it's all about calories. Not eating anything will kill your body, google "marathon runner vs sprinter" and see what body type you'll become as your body turns to mush as weight comes off. Yeah, you'll lose weight but you're going to lose a lot of muscle while doing it.

Cut back on carbs, eat mostly protein and veggies. It's not magic. For exercise look into HIIT techniques. Going to the gym and spending two hours doing standard sets won't get you ripped, just look at the guys doing that and their body type. Yeah, sure, they might be strong but they also have a lot of flab. Very little definition.

In college I was down to 130 lbs and under 2% body fat. I never fasted. I looked pretty good, was pretty ripped for my weight. Could bench 200, do sets of 50 lb dumb bell curls, etc.

If you're trying to lose weight it's all about calories. Not eating anything will kill your body, google "marathon runner vs sprinter" and see what body type you'll become as your body turns to mush as weight comes off. Yeah, you'll lose weight but you're going to lose a lot of muscle while doing it.

Cut back on carbs, eat mostly protein and veggies. It's not magic. For exercise look into HIIT techniques. Going to the gym and spending two hours doing standard sets won't get you ripped, just look at the guys doing that and their body type. Yeah, sure, they might be strong but they also have a lot of flab. Very little definition.

You definitely weren't below 2% bodyfat.

I dunno I was pretty damn cut. I did use one of those electronic scale gizmos though. Who knows how accurate they are.

They're not accurate or reliable and professional body builders get to 3-4% for a couple of hours for a competition then have to re-feed. That low of a percentage is not sustainable and you'd be dead if you had sub 2% for any amount of time.

They're not accurate or reliable and professional body builders get to 3-4% for a couple of hours for a competition then have to re-feed. That low of a percentage is not sustainable and you'd be dead if you had sub 2% for any amount of time.
Fair enough! Either way it was crazy low, I had a 28" waist. I got up to about 36" at my max of 193 lbs until I started up again last January. Down to 148 now. Not sure I can go much lower being a decade+ older...

Fair enough! Either way it was crazy low, I had a 28" waist. I got up to about 36" at my max of 193 lbs until I started up again last January. Down to 148 now. Not sure I can go much lower being a decade+ older...

For a guy, sub 12% and you're seeing decent abs. Sub 10% requires serious discipline, and would be considered "ripped" by most standards (unless you're just weak).

Back