Interesting Podcast - Flight Emergency with Dispatch Real-Time Involvement

Mike99

Yesterday I was listening to an episode of the "Aviation News Talk" podcast about Endeavor 1516, and found it really interesting. The ATC/cockpit recording was played, and there were a few times when the PIC advised ATC that they were checking with dispatch as to best landing option given plane weight. Disclaimer - not affiliated with the podcast in any way. Just a listener and a DX in-training with hopes to be licensed by next February! I knew that DX is in regular contact with pilots, but to hear a live emergency situation with dispatch involvement (that ended well!) was really cool.

Generally speaking, ATC won't know the best place for the aircraft to land based on AC performance capabilities/airline's FOM/etc. PIC will rely on dispatch to provide them with the most suitable airport (factoring in performance/FOM/airport status/etc)!

yeah they will communicate with dispatch for assistance when able, but sometimes they aren’t always able to. i had a flight divert to the nearest suitable airport without a single message to me, but they had a fire in the cabin. in this case they just need to get on the ground, communication with dispatch was the last thing on their mind

yeah they will communicate with dispatch for assistance when able, but sometimes they aren’t always able to. i had a flight divert to the nearest suitable airport without a single message to me, but they had a fire in the cabin. in this case they just need to get on the ground, communication with dispatch was the last thing on their mind

Had that happen once too for a mechanical. Saw my guy make a 90 degree turn and quickly descend. Couldn’t even get a response from the crew so I had to contact ZLC for confirmation that they declared an emergency for MX. Let’s just say I no longer needed my coffee IV drip for the remainder of that midnight shift. Later found out it was an electrical issue to where they even needed to deploy the RAT. Crazy stuff

Last Wednesday, I did my annual Fam ride in our company's new simulators. Although the emergencies my two crews faced from the instructors were not real, their response to them was. In response to scenarios like rapid cabin depressurization, the loss of two engines, the loss of hydraulic systems, etc., the poor CA and FO barely could complete their checklists and their QRH stuff. The instructor was constantly interrupting them acting like ATC controllers and FAs. Needless to say, dispatch was the last thing on their minds in an emergency, real or simulated. I have a new respect for our crews. They have to manage a lot and somehow keep calm and collected.

Last Wednesday, I did my annual Fam ride in our company's new simulators. Although the emergencies my two crews faced from the instructors were not real, their response to them was. In response to scenarios like rapid cabin depressurization, the loss of two engines, the loss of hydraulic systems, etc., the poor CA and FO barely could complete their checklists and their QRH stuff. The instructor was constantly interrupting them acting like ATC controllers and FAs. Needless to say, dispatch was the last thing on their minds in an emergency, real or simulated. I have a new respect for our crews. They have to manage a lot and somehow keep calm and collected.

Some of that could be on them though. The instructor might have been trying to teach them to prioritize tasks a little bit. Keeping everyone in the loop is great when you can do it, but sometimes it's best to tell everyone to stand by and you'll get to them when you can get to them.

Back