Interesting old article on the F-14

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
Some interesting history.

3 October 2002, F-14A Tomcat 162594 of VF-101 “Grim Reapers” from NAS Oceana, VA, the east coast Tomcat training RAG, suffers a dual compressor stall during a training flight east of NAS Key West, FL. Unable to restart the engines, both crew successfully eject and the jet goes down into the ocean.

On 5 May 2006, retired Aer Lingus airline Captain Charlie Coughlan comes across the right vertical stab of 162594 washed up on a remote beach near Cork, Ireland. The fin had floated over 4,900 miles to this location.

IMG_4580.jpeg

It's hard to fathom a vertical stab making such an incredible journey across the pond.

The other thing that strikes me is how large that stab is. Even if that guy is only five feet, that stab must be at least eight feet tall.

It's hard to fathom a vertical stab making such an incredible journey across the pond.

The other thing that strikes me is how large that stab is. Even if that guy is only five feet, that stab must be at least eight feet tall.

Working on airplanes has taught me that even little airplane parts are pretty big.

The cessna 152 horizontal stab is 10 feet.

Back