Interesting 550

knot4u

Repeat Offender
Sorry, there aren't any pictures for obvious reasons. I saw a very interesting G-550 this week. From a distance it looked normal, upon closer inspection a more than normal amount of HD cameras probably allowing a complete sphere of vision around the airplane, some antennas I'm not familiar with and what appeared to be chaff dispensers installed in the tailcone piqued my interest. It had a foreign registration. I've been around long enough to know when to not ask questions, but I'd love to know what was up. Some people take security very seriously, I've seen armed guards behind ropes guarding aircraft before but this airplane had no security other than what the FBO provided. Just curious as to why?

We had one come in from an Arab nation about 10 years ago that had these little bumps that looked like half golf balls glued to it. The pilot said they were for detecting missiles. I didn't see any countermeasures though.

No, it looked like any other 550 you might see from a distance.
We had one come in from an Arab nation about 10 years ago that had these little bumps that looked like half golf balls glued to it. The pilot said they were for detecting missiles. I didn't see any countermeasures though.
The stuff on/in the tailcone wasn't real obvious, just some slots with what looked liked stainless ducts beneath the surface of the tailcone. I don't know what they were, but I've never seen them on any other Gulfstream.

No, it looked like any other 550 you might see from a distance.

The stuff on/in the tailcone wasn't real obvious, just some slots with what looked liked stainless ducts beneath the surface of the tailcone. I don't know what they were, but I've never seen them on any other Gulfstream.

That is interesting. I have seen a few different ones with all sort of external configurations for secret squirrel stuff but never looked too closely.

Back