Instrument rating cost?

Holocene

Well I'm broke, but this is one particular rating I can't stand to be without.

I already have the 50hrs XC PIC time. I've got a whopping 3hrs hood time from my private.

Written is not a problem.

I can do 20 hours in a sim, leaving me needing 17hrs required sim/actual in a plane.

15 hours of "training" is mandated; perhaps the instructor and I can knock out half of those remaining 17hrs via the 15hrs of training, leaving 8 hours or so for shooting approaches and other airwork, and I'll have to eat the remaining 9 hours or so to complete the sim/actual time.

So, ideally, it's technically possible I may only have to pay for 24hrs to get the rating, plus checkride fee.

24 x say $150/hr plane/instruction = $3600 after the simulator time and checkride fee. Call it $4000.

If I study my ass off, and fly a quality PC-based simulator, does anyone see any problem with me obtaining this rating for only $4,000, or did I miss something???

If you’re using a “quality PC-based simulator” then there might be a slight problem with your plan, since it’s not really a simulator. The PCATD (PI-135) at my school is good for 10 hrs of credit, not 20 hrs. Look for a letter like this one for the PCATD you are going to use: http://www.flyelite.com/support/documents/faa.pdf. (The fourth paragraph lists PCATDs that can be used for 20 hrs of credit.) That letter is the final answer in how much of the time you can credit towards the required aeronautical experience.
<O:p</O:p
We use the PCATD as an integral part of instrument training where maneuvers are first introduced and practiced in the simulator, then performed and mastered in the aircraft. Most students end up with more than 10 hrs of PCATD, but in the long run it saves them money. Our club charges $12/hr (plus instruction) if you log the time, and nothing (except ground instruction) if you don’t log it. I know of many schools that throw in unlimited use of their PCATD as an incentive to attract instrument students.
<O:p</O:p
However, your budget of $400 for 20 hrs of PCATD is probably not enough. (Remember, it only counts if you have an instructor with you.) A PCATD lesson is much like a flight lesson. We might spend 1.5 hrs “flying” out of a 2 hr lesson. (We have a preflight brief, we’ll often pause the PC and talk about what we just did, post-flight debrief, etc.) The basic charge for this type of lesson is 2 hrs of ground instruction. 10 hrs of PCATD time might take about 14-15 hrs of instruction. Multiply 30 by the going rate for ground and you have a decent budgeting figure for 20 hrs of PCATD.

Wow. That Ellsworth guy sounds like he's got a pretty solid program. Maybe I'll go to him over the summer for my IFR.

Nihon_Ni, thanks, I appreciate the info. And by "PC-based", I meant at home, for my own practice; not something I would or could log.

bap327, thanks a lot. $6K isn't bad. If I stick to a budget, I should be able to swing that by this spring. thanks!

wow $4000. Although that last link is a little creepy. I haven't set foot in church in years, haha.

You could search "Sheble" hear on the forum to see what others have experienced. Seems to be mixed reviews, but they are known to get'r done. They charge $30 a day for a room in a house with other students.
I drove down to check out the place during the 07 Nework JC and found
it ok. Don't expect anything fancy and you will be o.k.:)

Yea, just finished Sheble on Friday. 4000$ and a great experience. 20 hours in their sim. And flight time as you need it for the fixed price...within reason I assume. Def look into it!

If you're ultimate goal is to build time towards the commercial, I almost think that sim time is a bad investment. Pay to the fly the plane and log the hours - then go home and practice what you just did on Flight Sim.

Except you can count a certain amount of sim time towards your commercial license as far as I know.

Yeah 50 hours can be used towards your 250 tt FAR 61.129

Anyone with FARs explained want to expand on what the heck this means:

61.219(i)(1)(i): [Permitted credit for use of a flight simulator or flight training device...applicant not under Part 142 may] Credit a maximum of 50 hours toward the total aeronautical experience requirements for an airplane or powered-lift rating, provided the aeronautical experience was obtained from an authorized instructor in a flight simulator or flight training device that represents that class of airplane or powered-lift category and type, if applicable,to the rating sought...

Seems to me that I could have flown 50hrs on an FTD setup for a 172 towards my initial single engine commercial?

61.219(i)(1)(i): [Permitted credit for use of a flight simulator or flight training device...applicant not under Part 142 may] Credit a maximum of 50 hours toward the total aeronautical experience requirements for an airplane or powered-lift rating, provided the aeronautical experience was obtained from an authorized instructor in a flight simulator or flight training device that represents that class of airplane or powered-lift category and type, if applicable,to the rating sought...

Seems to me that I could have flown 50hrs on an FTD setup for a 172 towards my initial single engine commercial?

Yup..but I don't have the book..just going on several CFI comments..

You would be right. ATP does 50 hrs in the sim as well for the Career program.
Flight Time

• 200 Hours Logged Time
  • 190 Hours Multi-Engine Time
    • 75 Hours Multi-Engine Cross-Country
    • 65 Hours Multi-Engine Instruction
      & Flight Checks
    • 50 Hours Multi-Engine FTD
  • 10 Hours Single-Engine Time

You may use simulator time toward your Commercial certificate. The amout you may use depends on the 'training center' that you use for the time. If it is not certified as part 142 (Which we are not) then you may credit "a maximum of 50 hours toward total aeronautical experience requirements" (FAR 61.129(i)).

Our instrument course at Sheble's costs $3,800.00 (a little more if you pay with a credit card) and lasts 10 days. We have condos available for rent at $30.00 per night. That's a better price than any of the 'nicer' hotels in the area. We ask that you have the written exam completed before arriving, however that is not absolute.

If any of you have questions about our training, please call me at 1-800-249-6482 and I will be happy to answer your questions.

Be very cautious about using up to 50 sim hours towards your total time, or even the 20 towards the Instrument rating. There is an FAA letter that must be with every certified sim and you should read it very carefully before you spend one dime on sim time. That letter will explain exactly what that particular sim is certified for, and what you can count that time towards.

If the sim is legit, then by all means use it, if it is not, go elsewhere.

Back