Instrument Rated

ScottG

I haven't been on in a while but I just finished up my instrument rating on Friday at Sheble's Aviation. I've got about 145 hours now so next up probably a tail wheel endorsement over at falcon field in mesa then some time building.

Sheble's 10 day instrument course was all that was promised. Finished in 10 days, was gonna finish in 9 but had to drive back to Phoenix cus my knowledge test had my middle name spelled wrong by a letter. Either way, 20 hours sim, 20 hours flight, and a x country in 10 days for 4000$. If anyone wants more info let me know. I think there are some bad threads on these guys but I didn't see any of the bad things that were said. Somewhat old planes but they just got one back from Reno with brand spankin sweet new radios.

Congrats!!

I'm getting close.

Few questions, how long was your oral, flight? what did you cover on your oral?

Eh oral was only about 2 hours and flight was about an hour and a half but I did two approaches in the sim. I did an ILS and a timed localizer only approach in the sim. In the air, basically just the rest of the PTS: off my head..a DME arc, a hold, a VOR DME approach and touch and go, then unusual attitudes. The oral was't too bad. Pretty much just asked the basic questions about my cross country flight plan and weather. Though a few questions that stumped me were GPS oriented and I had thought that since it wasn't in the aircraft then I wouldn't be asked about it but I was..oh well not too bad and I was definitley helped along on some of those.

Got mine coming up on Saturday. I don't really feel prepared but my instructor thinks so. Just took and passed my IRA and CFII writtens and got an 86/87.

Reading through the ASA Instrument Oral Exam Guide is frustrating. It seems that there is just so much information that I can't seem to retain. I'm more nervous about the oral than the practical test. Oh well, I'll let you guys know after I bust the ride. :)

Eh, just bust it out..and let the examiner lead you a little in the oral..the biggest stumbles I had during my private and instrument oral was closing my mind on a topic..when you don't know the answer right away and 2 or 3 wrong answers bounce around in your head its not productive..try to relax, listen carefully to what the DE is asking and ask questions if youre not sure of what they mean..

Thanks for the advice Scott. I'm going to give it my best but I will not be surprised if I don't even make it to the practical test. We'll see.

To the OP, congrats and good job on the successful completion!

Back