instrument covers

matt152

Hi everyone. I'm in the market for some instrument covers for partial panel training. Any recommendations? I've seen the ones available at Sporty's, but I'm concerned the one suction cup might not be sufficient.

I guess I could make do with post-it notes, but I would prefer something more "professional."

Thanks

Not quite as good as professional rubber covers, but better than post-it notes would be a cardboard rectangle with holes cut out for the knobs of the instrument to go through. Or if you don't like cardboard, you could fabricate one out of plastic maybe.

I think I saw some round post-it note style covers from AOPA that were actually designed to be covers and I thought those were kind of cool, too.

Otherwise I think the suction cup type is all that's out there.

All the panel covers I used came free from Oshkosh, either in the form of the suction cup rubber ones or the round post-its that some companies give out. Another good option for the vacuum failure is a piece of manila folder cut to fit over the AI and DG. You can put holes in it for the adjustment knobs, which will hold it in place quite nicely.

Also, one of our chiefs found some soap holders that work really well. They are round, white rubber things with about 21 little suction cups on each side. I can't find a picture of one on the intarwebs at the moment though.

Hi everyone. I'm in the market for some instrument covers for partial panel training. Any recommendations? I've seen the ones available at Sporty's, but I'm concerned the one suction cup might not be sufficient.

I guess I could make do with post-it notes, but I would prefer something more "professional."

Thanks

Believe me, the one suction is more than enough. I use it all the time with my primary students.

Professional-smeshinal. The best insrument covers I have came from post-back to school sales at Office Depot. Sticky notes in the shape of a beachball that exactly fit over the instruments.

Professional-smeshinal. The best insrument covers I have came from post-back to school sales at Office Depot. Sticky notes in the shape of a beachball that exactly fit over the instruments.

Yup exactly. You'll lose the nice rubber ones in about a week and they leave a nasty smudge on the instruments. Sticky notes work best, especially when you can find some nice round ones.

I have the sportys rubber ones, work great, and does not leave bunches of wadded up post its in the plane.

I swear if I get into another plane that has a pile of wadded up yellows in the pocket I am going to strangle a particular instructor.

I bought some Sporty's covers, which were basically useless.

The only ones I use now are the soap dish holder version. They can be found at Bed Bath and Beyond or Linens and Things. I can't remember which carry them specifically.

A piece of cardboard works well too, hold drilled in the center so you can attach it to the artificial horizon knob.

I always have my students rip out a piece of paper from their kneeboards fold it in half and rip a hole for the artificial horizon adjuster knob it covers the AI and DG and is a good backup for anyone who forgets their rubber covers. You can fold it in half again to isolate just the AI or DG. I tend to use post it notes for other instruments.

Back