Instrument Checkride Passed!

3enginejock

We ferried the Piper Seminole from KRAL Riverside to KCCB Cable in upland for the checkride.

About an hour or so of oral, we covered when you need an alternate, if you do what are the minimums required at the alternate. Everything on the enroute chart, inspections (VOR every 30 days, Pitot/Static Altimiter and Transponder 24 months, ELT every year etc.), when you can descend below DA or MDA. Various runway markings and what the mean. How to do a VOR check and what are the limits. Couple other things as well.

The flying part of the exam took about an hour and half. We took off out of Cable Airport KCCB which is uncontrolled, went out to the practice area did unusial attitude flying and compass turns, then we shot an ILS 26L into Bracket KPOC, when I got established he failed an engine on me and I shot the rest of the approach single engine, and then did the published missed approach. After the missed we got vectors for the VOR back into bracket and he covered up the attitude indicator and the DG. Did that approach no problem and did the missed approach once again. Then we got vectors for the GPS 6 approach back into cable full panel, did a full stop landing and it was over. I was surprised he did not make me do a hold, he did ask me however that if we were to do the published missed on the GPS 6 approach into cable how would we enter hold. I answered correctly and that was that.

You will be surprised how examiners forget to do something. I think from my private all the way up to my CFI the examiner always told me what we will cover, but for some reason one or two things we never did. But I never said anything.:)

Must be nice not to do a hold, or a dme arc, ndb, or steep turns!!!:mad: (SARCASM X100)

However... it wasnt your fault, your just the one taking the test, with that being the case good job and congrats!!!!!!:rawk:

steep turns arent in the PTS, and the airplane didnt have an ADF so using NDB's arent possible.

If he had told me to do a hold or a DME arc it woulda been no problem as I had been practicing those as well.

Thats sweet, better for you! Yea the plane i'm doing all my instrument training in has no ADF as well so one less thing to worry about on my checkride. I have the option of using a plane without DME, but it's good to know how all that stuff works, especially if you wanna fly for the airlines. Some Brasilia guys get DME ARCS every now and than. DME ARCS are easy for me, piece of cake. Enjoy for inst ticket and again congrats!!

Back