Instrument Checkride (MTSU) with Tommy Swor

Brendon Morgan

Just had my Instrument checkride on Friday May 2nd 2014. The day started early at 6:00 AM and got to the airport (KMBT) around 6:30 AM. After making sure I had all of the required paperwork and things for the checkride, my instructor and I left KMBT to KHZD for my checkride at 8:00 AM. Due to strong headwinds (almost 30kts or so) we were about 15 minutes late.

The AIRCRAFT
For anybody who doesn't know, at Middle Tennessee State University (MTSU) we fly Diamond DA40 with G1000 glass cockpits.

The ORAL
-Looked threw the aircraft maintenance log to find annnual, 100hour, ELT, Trasnponder, and PITOT/STATIC checks.
-Pulled out various weather charts and asked what the names of the charts were (the answer was at the bottom of the page where it names the charts), he also pointed at a section and asked me to tell him what was going on in that area.
-Read off METARS, TAFS, and Area Forecast
-Procedure for Positive Flight Control Exchange
-Showed me a picture of a normal 6-pack steam guage and asked how each instrument was operated. (Airspeed, VSI, Altimeter Pitot/Static, Attitude/DG Vacuum, and Turn Coordinator was Electric.)
-Asked what was the minimum altitude we could stall at (not sure what that answer was I said 1000AGL and he went on, but still not sure if that was correct)
-Looked over the Low Enroute Chart, asked about MEA, MRA, distances between 2 waypoints and VORS, Why some airports were green, also asked about MOCA if flying from point A to B.
-Asked if we could have a alternate that does not have a IAP (Yes but has to be VFR conditions from MEA all the way down)
-Went over flight plan and asked what the different types of airspeed there were
-Asked about compass error and to explain them all
-Asked about alternate fuel/weather for precision and nonprecision approaches
-Looked at approach charts and asked what the IAF was and also asked what the MDA/DA was

The FLIGHT
After runup he gave me a clearance to climb to 1500, when reaching 1500 turn to 270 heading and continue climb to 3000 where I would intersect the 025 degree radial to the MKL VOR! He will eventually give you clearance to hold on the published hold for the VOR RWY 2. You will hold at 3000 still and I only did 2 complete holds (he wants you to get your timing correct on the hold, so make sure to start/stop and do any corrections that you need to make sure that the inbound leg will be 1 minute, also make sure to call up ATC and let them know you are going to be holding and then want to shoot the VOR RWY 2 approach, class D airspace). After the hold I started outbound for the procedure turn ( I cant remember, but I do believe I used the GPS for the outbound PT) when over the VOR make sure to start your timer for 2 minutes not 1 because you are flying over a airport not a approach fix, do the procedure turn and call ATC to let them know you are inbound, continue the approach and you will do a full stop. Taxi to whichever runway ATC tells you to and then you will get the same 3000ft and 270 degree heading. He will have you fly the ILS runway 2, I put MERSY in the GPS and flew direct to it and used the GPS to do my Procedure Turn then used NAV1 for the ILS back inbound (also he will have you use the autopilot on the ILS, very easy but make sure the autopilot does what you want it to do, I dont know what happened with mine but it was not doing what I wanted it to do so I just shut it off hand flew it for a minute and tried it again and it worked perfectly). You will go missed on the ILS and once he sees you do the correct procedures for the missed approach he will clear you direct back to KHZD. On the way back we did unusual attitudes and thats it, flew direct to FAMPA the IAF for the RNAV runway 19 at HZD, I did a circle to land at HZD but you should expect to do it at MKL (he told me as I was circling that we should have done it at MKL for timing, so I would expect him to do the circling at MKL). After the circling we landed on runway 1 and he told me I did a great job and asked if I loved studying aviation. Thats it I am now a newly certificated instrument rated pilot and cant wait to go and get some actual IMC under my belt.

congrats, and thanks for the write up. I send alot of my students to Mr. Swor, so its always great to have a write up to give to my students.

Back