instructors at ATP

celi95

I was wondering if ATP hires instructors that have not attended their career program or gone through any of their training? What about people who have received their CFI CFII or MEI there? Just asking because in the near future i would like to teach for ATP, and since i only have my PPL, Answers to these questions will help me decide where i will finish my ratings. Thanks for everything

Training at ATP through the Career Pilot Program greatly increases your chances of working there. We tell students that if you want to work at ATP consider yourself in a 90 day interview. During those 90 days we get a good idea of your work ethic, your demeanor, and we get to know whether or not you are someone we want to work with on a daily basis.
Graduates from other programs usually do not meet the 140 hour minimum of ME time and therefore are not qualified to instruct at ATP.

Obviously ATP Ed is in a better position to know definitively, but I believe they're only hiring grads of their career pilot program (ACPP) right now; the minute they start giving away what precious few open instructor slots they have to non-ACPP grads, they've just negated one of that program's major selling points (if not THE major selling point). ATP management knows this; they've been actively shopping their CFIs' resumes around to regional carriers to stimulate instructor turnover (a strategy that's landed 14 of their instructors in CHQ ERJs in the last 7 months--way to go, ATP!)

If you have only your PPL now and want to instruct for them, you should consider going through the ACPP--PPL is a prereq for it, anyway.

wow i didnt know there was a 140hr ME time requirement.....thats alot but i figured something like that. I just cant see dishing out $35k for the program
shocked.gif
! Plus im just starting my softmore year at college and wouldnt be able to start training until next summer, which would mean that i wouldnt be able to work on any of my ratings from now to then (besides getting the writtens out of the way etc). And then say i did do the ACPP program over the summer....in the fall i'd be going back to school and from what i've read being an instructor at ATP is more than a full time job and i dont know if i'd be able to handle that and a full workload of classes. so that kinda beats the point of going through the ACPP unless i could teach part time or would just work over the summers, both of which i doubt. the other option that i can think of would be to wait until i graduate from school, in spring of 2006 and then go through the program then and then start working there for a year or two and moving onto the regionals. but that justs seems like such a waste of time to me 3 years of not doing anything really with my PPL but staying current. i could have well over 500hours by then from instucting else where but it would most likely be SE time
frown.gif
.....just trying to weigh out my options and trying to make some the best decisions to get me into that right seat!
smile.gif
Thanks for your help and those quick replies too!

ATP isn't really the best option for someone in your situation; the FBO route probably work out better for you. Assuming you're maybe 20, you've got PLENTY of time, no need for the quickest route possible--which is sort of the ACPP's niche and important to career changers like me.

Back