initial CFI checkride....PASSED!

robofos

This is a follow up to the post I made over a week ago after failing the oral. found here. I'm in the"checkride central" section now for this one..

This was with the same examiner. NOT inspector, and he charged me $200 for the retake. Bringing the total cost of this checkride to $800 plus plane rental. Other than that, I was very happy w/ how it went.

We talked about the 2 systems I struggled w/ last time: landing gear and electrical. I had to explain the elec schematic from the POH. How current flows from the battery, master, relay/solenoid, then to the bus. After staring at that hieroglyphic drawing from the PA-28R POH for a week, I could finally start making sense of it and could explain it at a commercial level. For landing gear, I showed him some pics I took up close of the gear, & labeled everything w/ microsoft paint. This is a great way to show students / old examiners a visual of how stuff works.

This brought us to the flight. I walked out feeling great about accomplishing the most difficult oral exam of my life and thinking "at least that part is done." The best part about failing the exam last week was knowing exactly what to expect on the flight. We had a plan in order written out.

1. Shortfield takeoff and climb- straight forward, just talked my way through.
2. Chandelles,- maneuver I was mostly worried about. Stall light was on right at the rollout of my 180 turn. he said it was a textbook chandelle. OK lets move on! don't want to do that again!
3. Steep turns- to a private pilot, so only 45 degree bank, and only one 360 turn
4. Unusual Attitude recovery- He put the foggles on, and I had to tell him how to recover.
5. Emergency Descent - Definitely talk about this on the ground. so everyone knows what to expect.
6. Forced Landing - It can't go any lower than 500' AGL. at that point you decide if it's gonna work.
7. Ground Ref's - 8's on pylons: (required) and Turns on a point- talk your way through it & admit errors.
8. Emergency landing gear extend- know this procedure. An Arrow II w/ auto extend has different steps.
9. Power off 180s' - He took the controls, and I walked him through like I was teaching a commercial student. Just keep talking and tell him/her exactly what to do. They'll hopefully get it. I liked that I didn't have to demo this. I probably would have busted at 201 feet beyond landing point!

Flew back to airport, and did a full traffic pattern. Forced myself to hold back excitement till the engine was off. I was worried about this flight, but it really went well, and after doing a chandelle right the first time, it went smooth for the rest of the flight. 1.8 hrs.

I have wanted this for over 2 years. I kept running into mx issues w/ another plane & money problems. It has been a long and frustrating journey for me but I'm glad I stuck with it. I am very proud and happy I finally passed this checkride. It feels great to be a CFI!!!

Back