Info on Instructing at a satellite campus

husky16

I was wondering if anyone had any info on how things work as far as instructing at a satellite campus, in particular, New Bedford.

Can you pick where you want to instruct? How does it work as far as coming back for the MEI and bridge program. Where do you stay? Does DCA put you up? (I doubt it). Is stanz break the same for the satellites?

Just curious. I am a ways from CFI but just try to get some info would be great.

Let's see, you don't get to pick where you instruct, if they need instructors at a particular base you will be offered a job there. Usually, if base instructors are needed they will call through the folks waiting for standz and offer them an earlier class if they will go to that particular base. I am guessing that if you want a base, even if it is not offered to you initially, it wouldn't be too hard to put in a request to get transfered there when a spot comes open. SFB is harder to transfer to, but it is easier to go to a base from SFB I think. It does seem as though the base guys get hours a little bit faster... Housing is on your own, and I am not really sure where most folks live at any particular base.

After you have approx 950TT and 750 Dual you will come back to SFB for MEI class for a week, do three or so lessons here, then go back to your base to finish MEI and to get your 50 or so hours of Multi instruction. After that you will come back to SFB for the bridge course.

Let me know if you have more Q's, either post 'em here or PM me....

I used to work at EWB and recently started at Comair (and soon to be furloughed). I highly reccommend EWB for a number of reasons. First, you will become a much better pilot than you ever will be instructing in Florida. Think about it, you will need to deal with among other things icing, low ceilings, high winds, new airspace, and a different breed of student. The students at EWB are college kids. It may seem at first to be a pain, but in retrospect it has taught me invaluable people skills. SFB students are all the same, they're just drainable bank accounts. Second, you will be apart from the good ole boy network. There seems to be this ridiculous ass kissing network where some get what they want and others are left to suffer just because they aren't "in."

When it comes down to it DCA has gone downhill fast. The concept is great, but the management has brought it down. There is one thing that can bring it back, quality instructors. Some of the best instructors i have seen have come out of EWB.

On the flip side, Living in New Bedford has its challenges. It is expensive dispite what a certain "wide" management individual says. We even presented ligitimate numbers proving the fact that the cost of living is higher, however it fell on deaf ears. But i digress. It is expensive, but you aren't there to make money. You are there to get to an airline as fast as possible. And you will fly just as much in EWB as in SFB, maybe more.

Do some research. Call the EWB base at 508 998-3838 and ask any instructor that answers the phone any question you have. You as a customer now deserve first hand facts, not propoganda.

Good luck

I Agree

cyrcadian said:
I used to work at EWB and recently started at Comair (and soon to be furloughed). I highly reccommend EWB for a number of reasons. First, you will become a much better pilot than you ever will be instructing in Florida. Think about it, you will need to deal with among other things icing, low ceilings, high winds, new airspace, and a different breed of student. The students at EWB are college kids. It may seem at first to be a pain, but in retrospect it has taught me invaluable people skills. SFB students are all the same, they're just drainable bank accounts. Second, you will be apart from the good ole boy network. There seems to be this ridiculous ass kissing network where some get what they want and others are left to suffer just because they aren't "in."

When it comes down to it DCA has gone downhill fast. The concept is great, but the management has brought it down. There is one thing that can bring it back, quality instructors. Some of the best instructors i have seen have come out of EWB.

On the flip side, Living in New Bedford has its challenges. It is expensive dispite what a certain "wide" management individual says. We even presented ligitimate numbers proving the fact that the cost of living is higher, however it fell on deaf ears. But i digress. It is expensive, but you aren't there to make money. You are there to get to an airline as fast as possible. And you will fly just as much in EWB as in SFB, maybe more.

Do some research. Call the EWB base at 508 998-3838 and ask any instructor that answers the phone any question you have. You as a customer now deserve first hand facts, not propoganda.

Good luck

But not just good instructors who don't kiss posteriors, but Good Management too.

Thanks

Thanks for the insights (hope you don't get furloghed). I am really intrigued about EWB b/c i am from the area. Also, I would get much more actual instrument time and the other valuble experince. However, SFB apparently is actually going to get a new fleet within the next 3-6 months. So, i guess it would be a toss up. Another question- can I or should I mention that i would be willing to go to EWB. Would this help my application? I think it would considering most people want to stay in SFB.

Back