Indiana State University vs Purdue

purduepilot2012

I have been trying to make a decision on wheather I should go to Purdue or ISU. I have been accepted to both and accepted into the flight program at Purdue. Both schools give a good pitch and I know Purdue has the repuatation. Can someone help point out the key differences and pros and cons of both schools.

Well, for starters more than 30% of all space flights have had a Purdue grad on board. From there Purdue is one of the best schools in the country for just about everything, in aviation its tops. And finally the campus is wonderful, I've been the Terra Haute and there is nothing there I lost I need to go get.

On top of all that if they still do Breakfast Club you're in for a treat.

Well, for starters more than 30% of all space flights have had a Purdue grad on board.

But the rest of the story is that not one of those astronauts have been from the flight program - they were all engineers.

On top of all that if they still do Breakfast Club you're in for a treat.

God bless the Breakfast Club!!! I was there the year that Harry's caught on fire -- there were THOUSANDS of people on the lawn of the union and what was then the Grad Student housing watching.

I was accepted at both as well -- Indiana State is a good school with a solid aviation program but if you have the opportunity then it's Purdue hands down! You'll have exposure to things at Purdue that simply aren't available at ISU. The advanced sims, the King Air and Beechjet programs, relationships with airlines (mainly Chautauqua), etc.

I used to guest lecture there about once a semester but haven't been back for a while - it's about time for another trip north.

Feel free to PM or ask any questions on here that you may have...I graduated in 98 so my info is becoming a bit dated but I still maintain my ties to the school.

If you are in state I believe the tuitions are probably about the same; in this case go to Purdue. The guys above me pretty much hit it on the head. The King Air/727 sim/Beechjet program are great. Purdue also has great connections with the airlines. I think most have reduced minimums for Purdue grads. I know the big ones out of Purdue now are Eagle, ASA, and I believe Piedmont. However, you will see seniors going everywhere.

Out of state however, I have come to the personal realization that the education here is not worth 40K per year. If you were involved in lots of honors classes in high school you probably won't find Purdue challenging.

I really don't know too much about Indiana State University other than that it is located in terrible haute. I really don't think there's too much around there.

Edit: oh yea, and the parties are pretty solid at purdue

ISU has a great aviation program. I was a student there a long time ago and flew out at Brown's for a semester before leaving ISU. I loved flying at Sky King airport. Since moving, marriage and fulfilling military obligations(3 years in the desert), I am now a Purdue engineering student at IUPUI in Indianapolis. The plan is to wrap the instrument rating up soon at a local FBO here in Indianapolis.

If I had to choose between Terre Haute and Lafayette... I'd choose Indianapolis.;)

Have you put any thought into getting a non-aviation degree? Sorta redundant imo, but it's your money. :)

ISU has a great aviation program. I was a student there a long time ago and flew out at Brown's for a semester before leaving ISU. I loved flying at Sky King airport. Since moving, marriage and fulfilling military obligations(3 years in the desert), I am now a Purdue engineering student at IUPUI in Indianapolis. The plan is to wrap the instrument rating up soon at a local FBO here in Indianapolis.

If I had to choose between Terre Haute and Lafayette... I'd choose Indianapolis.;)

Have you put any thought into getting a non-aviation degree? Sorta redundant imo, but it's your money. :)

Hey AP,
I am from Central Indiana too. Which flight school are you attending?
Just curious...

Edit: oh yea, and the parties are pretty solid at purdue

100% incorrect. The parties are the worst I've ever seen at a school of that size. Hell, Cornell has better parties!

^^^^^^^ pay attention to that.

Aviation degree = a joke of 4 years. Don't waste your time, and more importantly, your money on it. Go to Purdue and get a real degree. Aero engineering. Still aviation related but actually maybe RELEVANT.

Hey AP,
I am from Central Indiana too. Which flight school are you attending?
Just curious...

I live on the NW side of Indy and Montgomery Aviation is right up the road from me in Zionsville. I went up there and the people there were great to talk to. They have a lot of experience in their flight training department; airline/military retirees, young guys, old guys, you name it. Their fleet looked extremely well maintained and equipped just the same. Their prices are comparable with Indianapolis aviation in Castleton on the NE side.

Eagle Flyers (the flight school op) at Montgomery seems to running a great school and I'd recommend people talk to them. I can tell they mean business in regards to training. I've seen some real haphazard attitudes before from some places. This place seems to be on the ball.

Mt. Comfort looks good too, but it's too far away from me. They have the only twin around for when that time comes.

I haven't been around Eagle Creek for a while. The flight school located there is a satellite school ran by Greenwood Aviation. Unless it's changed, I wouldn't fly there. I've never seen airplanes so "disregarded" in reference to just basic upkeep(not talking MX). That sucks too because it's 3 miles from my house as the crow flies.

So... To answer your question, I'll be training at Montgomery when this semester starts slowing down for me a little.

<P>I just grad. from ISU in may and had friends go through perdue.&nbsp; ISU has some perks as in there is way more freedom to fly anywhere you want to go. I've heard purdue restricts you on where you can fly this could just be a rumor though. ISU is much much cheaper than purdue tuition and flight wise. Most people now fly out of Terre Haute International Airport.&nbsp;ISU also doesn't restrict you on how fast you can get your ratings so if you are a studier you can get your CFI in your freshman year and be building time for the rest of college about 2 out of my class out of 100 did this I wish I was smart enough to. The airplanes are very nice and very well maintained. They now have a hiring agreement with ASA and ISU usually gets the lions share of UPS internships. Terre Haute as a city sucks like most college towns the bar seen is pretty good. There is Rose-Hulman and St. Mary colleges to so about 30,000 students flood the area and summer is dead...The airport atmospere is outstanding with a very fair and nice D.E.&nbsp; I loved my time at ISU the only downside is if your into sports theirs not much to root for at ISU and schools name recognition is something to be said for.&nbsp; I think I would have paid some extra money to be able to do the whole tailgate football thing which ISU tries horribly to do. They do have a really good homecoming turnout but thats due to the "walk" not the football team. The aviation department is the best on campus except for one but each department has that one guy. Everyone is being hired quickly from ISU. There is also a decent simulator department where they pay you 10.00 for 20 hours to sim instruct once you get your cfi if you need extra cash. Bottom line I can't say that I would turn down purdue just because of the big college life style. ISU is a great school so is Purdue so i suggest looking at other factors like student life etc. I went to ISU and if I could choose i would probley go to ISU again just for the freedom when you pay that much to fly its nice to fly home on the weekends or go to key west on the ocean flying trip. If you have any other questions let me know its a tough choice but hey at least you got accepted to both. </P>

I also am deciding between Purdue, UND, and ISU. I already have my private and was thinking that if I do go to ISU to get my instrument and Commercial at my FBO, do my CFI at ISU and instruct all through college. You say that ISU gets alot of UPS internships, are there any other internships they offer? Also I hear that if you go to Sky King and Mr. Brown likes you he will let you fly charter in their 310 and 421. I guess what I really want to ask is what does ISU have training wise that Purdue doesn't? For instance you mention that they do a ocean flying trip, what else do they do?

The ocean flying trip is one great trip. We took 12 airplanes from terre haute down to key west stayed awile then took another trip out to the bahammas to get some international expericance and then came back. It's the only school trip that as soon as we landed the professors where handing out drink coupons to the local bars. They let you have fun but have a no drink policy 12 hours before flight. The charter thing at sky king is kinda false Rusty does most of the flying and has been there for awile and you still need to meet part 135 min which most people are hired way before that so its not much of an advantage. I see your from greenwood so if you are paying for your own school I would go to ISU or Purdue UND is out of state and going to be very expensive. ISU also has been getting internships with ASA lately which from what I'm hearing ends with a F/O slot. That is new this last year but I know one girl that her internship was to call all the pilots for phone interviews and she has a slot after she graduates now. Again I think the flight training is compariable at each school. ISU is a more hometown everyone knows each other feel and the flight training is more relaxed as in you can go at your own pace. Purdue is nationaly recognized a little more expensive and a less friendly atmosphere, however they have the big ten so thats huge for me. ISU has talked that they are supposed to be getting a CRJ sim to do training in that. I was the chief sim instructor 2 years ago and we got the grant but it still han't come through yet I don't know what happend. The professors at ISU are outstanding I'm on a first name basis with most and still keep in contact with them today and so does my boss who flys for UPS and grad. in 1985. If AFROTC is an option ISU is by far the better choice Purdue's ROTC is huge ISU usually has 30 in each class and about 12 by the time pilot slots are handed out. Last I heard ISU has had 100% pilot slot selection the past 5 years meaning if you want a slot you got one. Thats the reason I chose ISU but i ended up droping out of ROTC and became an airport manager due to having a wife and all. ISU also has a double degree program where you can get both a B.S. in airport managment and pro. pilot in four years. It's nice to have a backup when you pock an eye out. any other questions let me know.

Mike

Back