Indian with South African CPL and considering FAA Dispatch. What Next???

fammyaviator

Hi Guys,

I am kind of in a dilemma over here. I have a South African CPL ME/IR, passed ATP subjects got an MCC certificate and then a flight instructors rating only to realise that I do not have legal rights to work in South Africa. I can't go ahead with conversion to Indian DGCA as it would be time consuming. Even if I do convert my licence I would be left with an extra licence without a job. Indigo does provide jobs to Indians with Indian DGCA Licence, however we will have to self fund the type rating which is close to 45000 USD and I am left with very little money:(:bang:.

Now I am considering getting FAA Dispatchers Licence from IFOD as they say they provide 100% Job Assistance to both nationals and foreign students. But I am still reluctant in investing the little money that I am left with in getting a dispatchers licence. On the contrary I do not see any other productive alternate solution. Do you guys think its worth getting a dispatcher's licence in the first place and if so, Is IFOD a good option for guys like me or should I approach other institutes like Sheffield or Jeppesen? If not, what else can I do to secure a position with an airline?

P.S: I do not have any previous aviation or any other working experience except for 10 months as a microlight flight instructor and I am getting old day by day (26 years and 3 months already clocked:cry::fury:).

What kind of moron spends a ton of money on pilot licenses without first doing the research on the labor laws to be certain they can use the licenses they are paying for?

If you do want to go the dispatch route, research which countries and airlines hire ex-pats to do dispatch work and see if a license is even required to be hired before spending money on dispatch school. If you do end up needing dispatch school, do so knowing your options are limited to mostly the Gulf carriers. US, Canada, and Europe wont sponsor you for this kind of work.

I would be more concerned about being 26 without work experience. Get a job working the line or throwing bags to get something on your resume.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Agreed, however the OP, like many others, came here for guidance and not to be belittled and shot down.

This is why a lot of initial posters post an initial message and never come back for seconds.

We are here to help and guide.

I would be more concerned about being 26 without work experience. Get a job working the line or throwing bags to get something on your resume.

Agreed, however the OP, like many others, came here for guidance and not to be belittled and shot down.

This is why a lot of initial posters post an initial message and never come back for seconds.

We are here to help and guide.
Definitely here to help. Line service, fueling, baggage are great jobs to. Work while attending a dispatch school. Get your resume started and the first dispatch job comes easier.

The aviation business is one of the most protective industries in the world. Anyone who does a little research can quickly figure that out. Its a bit dishonest and scummy for a flight school to take money from someone without in advance making sure the student knows before he starts training that he needs to have the proper paperwork to use those licenses.

It displays a lack of common sense to go to another country and expect they will just give you a job. Most countries these days make it clear on their labor and immigration websites what the process is for getting the right to work there.

A big part of the dispatch job globally is being able to research things and find answers for yourself. You cant go into dispatch school expecting to have a job with a license especially with a license thats only legally required in the country you are getting it from and where airlines in that country don't sponsor foreigners for visas. Yes it can help in some countries but if you are low on cash, its a big gamble to take. Theres no guarantee Emirates or Etihad will hire you and sponsor you to work in those countries if you apply especially with no work experience.

Sent you a PM.

One thing I feel openly to share for anyone is that IFOD is they are there to get you CERTIFIED. They don't charge more for extra instruction and won't let you take the Oral until you are absolutely ready. In the owner's own words: "he doesn't want you to spend $400 on another exam, he would rather you spend that $400 in the bar drinking with him."

Never hurts to call IFOD and tell them your situation. The instructors there know so many people in the industry throughout the world, they’d probably have the advice you are looking for.

Sent you a PM.

One thing I feel openly to share for anyone is that IFOD is they are there to get you CERTIFIED. They don't charge more for extra instruction and won't let you take the Oral until you are absolutely ready. In the owner's own words: "he doesn't want you to spend $400 on another exam, he would rather you spend that $400 in the bar drinking with him."
That's a good one!

The aviation business is one of the most protective industries in the world. Anyone who does a little research can quickly figure that out. Its a bit dishonest and scummy for a flight school to take money from someone without in advance making sure the student knows before he starts training that he needs to have the proper paperwork to use those licenses.

It displays a lack of common sense to go to another country and expect they will just give you a job. Most countries these days make it clear on their labor and immigration websites what the process is for getting the right to work there.

A big part of the dispatch job globally is being able to research things and find answers for yourself. You cant go into dispatch school expecting to have a job with a license especially with a license thats only legally required in the country you are getting it from and where airlines in that country don't sponsor foreigners for visas. Yes it can help in some countries but if you are low on cash, its a big gamble to take. Theres no guarantee Emirates or Etihad will hire you and sponsor you to work in those countries if you apply especially with no work experience.
Where can I find that blog by the DXer who worked for one of the Gulf airlines? It was about 'his life in the sandbox' or something like that.

Back