Imposed Work Rules - 2006

BoomerSooner77

Was snooping around on the ZFW local NATCA site and came across the IWR-"contract". Just spent about 3 hours reading the important sections. Not sure if it's still current, I would think some changes have been made.

The copy contained in the link is the copy used to educate non-bargaining personnel on the IWRs which you will see explanations/directives geared toward non-bargaining personnel in the right columns which are not part of the "contract".

I am sure some of the fellas who are CPC can let us know if these are still valid.

Upon initial review my only concerns are as follows (I may have missed things so if they're in there let me know). Everything else seems to be a normal course of business:
  • Not enough restrictions on scheduling practices (ie hours between shifts)
  • Severance pay sux.
  • Only 90 days notice required to Union in the event of RIF but 9 months notice in the event of facility closure (in other words, should they decide to privatize and utilize the existing facility for contractors, only 90 days notice required). While it's still better than notice usually received in the private sector, it's a little different as you can't exactly go out and easily find another controller job.
  • I am sure this is a directive from the Union, which I've seen in every contract I've ever reviewed from any Union... but giving duty assignments (non controller) by seniority instead of by most capable/efficient/knowledgable, never understood that one.
  • Dress code is awfully vague. I don't see anything indicating shirts must be tucked in, and the directives indicate for management to use best judgement (I have a feeling this has resulted in more greivances that can be counted).
I would caution you not to make assumptions from the explanations/directives that anyone is out to get you. From what I could tell from reading the dialogue in the right hand columns, it's more of a directive to management to be consistent across the board to reduce greivances.

http://zfw.natca.net/iwr/iwr.htm

wow I never heard of severance pay for controllers

it says its not issued for "misconduct, delinquency, or inefficiency"

If an ATCer is fired for an operational error, does the error constitute one of the above? (in other words, are you getting severance pay?)

wow I never heard of severance pay for controllers

it says its not issued for "misconduct, delinquency, or inefficiency"

If an ATCer is fired for an operational error, does the error constitute one of the above? (in other words, are you getting severance pay?)

Firstly,,, there is no Union in their right mind that is not going to have a severance addendum as part of their contract in the event of lack of work or reduction in force (involuntary termination due to no fault of employees)

From my educated interpretation I would say "Are you out of your damn mind? HELL NO!"

HOWEVER, generally baked into Union Contracts (haven't found it yet) is the requirement for a period of "close supervision" following a performance issue for a certain length of time. If the employee does not repeat the degraded level of performance previously displayed within that period and shows either improvement or the management team believes there is no significant risk for continued degradation of performance then it typically washes away and then if it happens again POST end of supervision period the process starts over. If anyone sees this language in here, please point it out,,, I obviously haven't been able to read the entire thing yet.

65 views an only pm577 (my arch nemises, kidding) is the only poster! wow!

Another thing I just found/realized. Maybe everyone else already figured this out.

Shifts include a PAID lunch (I also checked the Shift Work & Schedules thread to compare). HOWEVER, since it is a paid lunch you are subject to recall to your duty position if needed and it is possible you won't get a lunch if workload deems necessary but you will receive a differential during your scheduled lunch period should you be required to skip it AND you may NOT leave the facility during this time.

I had thought one of the CPCs on here indicated months ago that lunches were unpaid and shifts were 8.5 hours in length (including the unpaid lunch), which would mean according to national pay law, once you're on lunch you cannot do any work related activities. So I guess now I am confused.

Firstly,,, there is no Union in their right mind that is not going to have a severance addendum as part of their contract in the event of lack of work or reduction in force (involuntary termination due to no fault of employees)

I think a sizeable portion of blue-collar jobs have no provision for severance pay. (In fact, it seems most blue-collar jobs have no severance pay, while many white-collar jobs do. However ATC is more of a white-collar profession, so my point is meaningless...)

I don't get severance pay at my current job, so that's why I was surprised.

BTW, no one likes you today? hehe...:crazy:

I think a sizeable portion of blue-collar jobs have no provision for severance pay.

I don't get severance pay at my current job, so that's why I was surprised.

Aren't you part of a bargaining unit in your current job? Send me your contract, I am willing to bet it's in there somewhere.

Aren't you part of a bargaining unit in your current job? Send me your contract, I am willing to bet it's in there somewhere.
Yea i fall under a negotiated contract. Don't have a link, but I know of guys who were laid off, and all they got was railroad unemployment (something ridiculously low). Although guys laid off would be called back to work in seniority order, like airline pilots are furloughed.

So i guess we don't laid off, we get furloughed, therefore no severance package.
I don't think airline pilots get money when they are furloughed, right?

Most furloughs get no severance package because it is not a termination of the position. However, if that job is eliminated....you do receive a severance. At my company some groups are represented, some are not. All of our non represented groups have the standard company severance package in place. The represented I believe have at least that. We have some people on furlough who have received no severance, however we have some people who's job was eliminated who received their severance.

I work in Minatenance for the Post Office represented by APWU, bet you cant find any severence pay clause in our contract. Let me know if you do.

65 views an only pm577 (my arch nemises, kidding) is the only poster! wow!

Another thing I just found/realized. Maybe everyone else already figured this out.

Shifts include a PAID lunch (I also checked the Shift Work & Schedules thread to compare). HOWEVER, since it is a paid lunch you are subject to recall to your duty position if needed and it is possible you won't get a lunch if workload deems necessary but you will receive a differential during your scheduled lunch period should you be required to skip it AND you may NOT leave the facility during this time.

I had thought one of the CPCs on here indicated months ago that lunches were unpaid and shifts were 8.5 hours in length (including the unpaid lunch), which would mean according to national pay law, once you're on lunch you cannot do any work related activities. So I guess now I am confused.

Shifts are 8 hours and lunch is paid. If you work in a staff job IE not a controller then your day is 8.5 hours with no paid lunch (course they take 45-60 minute lunches). Furloughs...not on the controller side of the house. Have seen it for 23+ years of contracts and have seen staff/front office get furloughed, but never controllers. Whose going to control the planes?

I work in Minatenance for the Post Office represented by APWU, bet you cant find any severence pay clause in our contract. Let me know if you do.

Could only find interpretation for the USPS-APWU contract, but here is Article 6 interpreted from your contract. By all indications I interpret that Maintenance is included in the list of crafts covered by all sections that do not specify a particular craft.

apwu.jpg

When I toured two facilities it looked like people brought in their own "Healthy Choice" lunches and stuff. Do all facilities have paid lunches and if so what kind of lunches are we talking about since you can't leave the tower/center? Are there paid suppers to?

When I toured two facilities it looked like people brought in their own "Healthy Choice" lunches and stuff. Do all facilities have paid lunches and if so what kind of lunches are we talking about since you can't leave the tower/center? Are there paid suppers to?

Paid lunches means that the time you are away from your duty position for lunch will be paid your regular hourly rate. In other words, instead of clocking out to go eat, you stay clocked it. It does not mean that your facility provides you food that they pay for.

Upon initial review my only concerns are as follows (I may have missed things so if they're in there let me know). Everything else seems to be a normal course of business:
  • Not enough restrictions on scheduling practices (ie hours between shifts)
    there are days that you may only get 8 hours between shifts
  • Severance pay sux.
    never heard of someone getting Severance pay
  • Only 90 days notice required to Union in the event of RIF but 9 months notice in the event of facility closure (in other words, should they decide to privatize and utilize the existing facility for contractors, only 90 days notice required). While it's still better than notice usually received in the private sector, it's a little different as you can't exactly go out and easily find another controller job.
    never heard of controllers getting rif, not sure how they worked it when the closed down level 1 towers
  • I am sure this is a directive from the Union, which I've seen in every contract I've ever reviewed from any Union... but giving duty assignments (non controller) by seniority instead of by most capable/efficient/knowledgable, never understood that one.
    not sure about this one either
  • Dress code is awfully vague. I don't see anything indicating shirts must be tucked in, and the directives indicate for management to use best judgement (I have a feeling this has resulted in more greivances that can be counted).
    40 supervisors, there could be 40 dress codes. I wore a shirt 6 different times to work and then on the 7 time a sup said it was unacceptable, so I couldn't wear it again. If they like you, you can get away more stuff. So for now, I just dress conservative.
I would caution you not to make assumptions from the explanations/directives that anyone is out to get you. From what I could tell from reading the dialogue in the right hand columns, it's more of a directive to management to be consistent across the board to reduce greivances.

http://zfw.natca.net/iwr/iwr.htm

Back