IMC pucker factor, war stories

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
Was conversing with a flight school buddy of mine, and discussing our different flight experiences during the war. I finally took the time to write about one of the more pain-in-the-ass events, among many, that were thrown my way during that time. With a combination of a little skill, some luck, and some good outside people (other aircraft, ATC), the events took the turn for the good. For example, we had a jet nearly hit the ground during a night instrument approach. As the pilot was being directed to final for a non-precision (ATC radar out, reporting points in use); he'd had a long night mission and was pretty fatigued. After reporting established on the arc, he was given approach clearance, report FAF inbound. He commenced a descent from there and turned from the arc onto final (dark night, IMC). Unbeknownst to him his crosscheck had broken down, and as he was concentrating on the TACAN (VOR) intermittently breaking lock as he was trying to roll out on the inbound course, he missed the fact that he just blew through the intermediate altitude, and was headed at 1500 fpm to the ground below. The PAR radar was down, and some workers were doing maintenance on it. A PAR radar, unlike a terminal radar, has a very limited field of view up the glidepath (much like an ILS localizer)....it can't see traffic outside that, nor does it want to....it's job is to direct one aircraft at a time down the final approach path to a precision landing. Anyhow, the workers get the part installed that they need, and fire up the PAR scope. A 19 yr old Airman ATC apprentice, is up on approach frequency to coordinate with approach about their out-of-service surveillance radar. The PAR scope comes on, but it's only getting tested, so he's not paying too much attention to it, but he notices a secondary blip (the IFF of the A-10 on approach), just as it comes into the edge of his scope. The PAR radar had been down, since it had been giving erroneous target data from radar returns. The Airman sees the blip reading 5100' and descending. Not knowing if this is correct so far as the radar goes (whether it's working or not), but knowing full well that the altitude (if correct) is well below MVA, puts out a call on Guard "On Guard, aircraft approaching final, altitude alert, check altitude, terrain alert. Climb to 6400 immediately." The pilot in the A-10 hears this and, cross-checking his altitude, sees that it's him that's being talked to. He commences a pull while simultaneously rolling wings-level, and bottoms out at 150 AGL, it's later determined.

One of the situations I had that was one of the worst for me, both experience-wise, and workload-wise, was returning from a target that me and my wingman couldn't find due to WX in the target area, and crappy WX all over the AO. A KC-10 did a TCAS-rejoin onto us in IMC, and that was one of the ballsiest moves I'd ever witnessed. Strange, since IMC rendevous is only done with fighter aircraft that have radar. Non-standard, but necessary since I and #2 were extremely skosh on fuel and RTBing in IMC after being unable to get to our target due to the same WX. Field was down below mins, and the alternates were the same (unless I wanted to divert to Iran....). KC-10 said it was clear at 310 and above, but no way I was going to be able to make it up there, much less fuel up there. KC-10 picked us up on TCAS, rejoined on my six at 2 miles trail/1000' above and took about 30 knots overtake. Crossing above me, tanker AC says she's right overhead....I look up and can't see her through the clouds. She says he's going "Christmas tree" (turn on every light, bright-flash....if you've ever seen a tanker at night in peacetime, those damn things are lit bigger than Vegas). Still can't see her...only bright lights I've got are the bright-yellow "MASTER CAUTION" and two bright-red "L MAIN FUEL LOW' and "R-MAIN FUEL LOW lights staring me in the face. So she's overhead in the KC-10, co-heading and co-speed. I say I'm going to climb 500' and see what I can see. Climb and no-joy. Close the altitude to 300 feet vertical separation with the KC-10 right above me, and begin to make out a large white glow. All this time, wingman is tucked in close and flying off my slime lights as they disappear in and out of the clouds and rain. Close the distance to 200 feet vertical, and I can begin making out the lights clearer and the shape of the bottom of the KC-10 begin to take form. Pull it up to 100' vertical distance, and I can make out the KC-10 in the driving rain.

Now, mind you this was vertigo hell. Trying to look directly above me out a canopy in IMC, while still trying to maintain a heading, altitude, airspeed.....in essence, basic IFR flying...was painful. Moving the head around like that from horizontal at the instrument panel, to vertical looking at nothing and back again....the strangest cross-check I've ever done, was severly spatial-D inducing. It kept feeling like the plane was "falling-off" on the left wing, and my arm kept trying to roll me to the right to counter this false-feel. It was really difficult to have to physically keep my arm from trying to steer me into a right roll based on the false perceptions, regardless of what my attitude indicator was saying. In some situations, the "just follow your instruments" is easier said than done. There are situations where that's very difficult.

Anyhow, with us cruising 100' below the tanker and co-speed (try THAT crosscheck.....night/IMC/now formation....it was utterly painful). I slowly bleed off speed by 10 knots and "back us up" from underneath the tanker to behind the boom, while simultaneously keeping slight climb in order not to lose sight of the tanker. If we lose sight of the tanker in the WX right now, all bets are off......likely nylon letdown time. I don't even kick off my wingman to the tanker's wing, since I don't want him to possibly go lost-wingman while making that maneuver. The boomer comes on frequency and says she's got me in sight and to move right and aft to pre-contact so she can plug us, and asks us who needs to go first (this KC-10 was 2 male, 2 female crew.....female AC and boomer, male co and FE). I radio a quick "ops check" with fuel and determine that I'm still far lower than my wingman, since he had 600 pounds extra from the previous fueling (he wasn't paying attention to how much he wa taking on at the time with the KC-135 and took 600 pounds over fragged...an inattention error that was paying off in spades now, since he only had one "FUEL LOW LIGHT", and the other one was only flashing intermittently now). I sight the boom lights (a series of colored lights/markings on the boom itself for night ops) and its at mid-point indicating ready to fuel. I go to plug and overshoot the first try, nearly taking getting the boom bounced into the front canopy; clouds and rain are still rusing by giving a "Star Wars" effect, and the turbulance isn't helping either. I back up about 5 feet and move in again, mindful of the "FUEL LOW" warning lights staring me in the face like a bad dream that refuses to go away. As I approach the boom, in the heat of the moment, I'm unknowlingly focused only on the boom and trying to plug into it myself, disregarding the director lights on the bottom of the tanker that are telling me that I'm moving too far forward for the boom limits. I miss again, and feel the boom "clunk-thunk-thunk" as it hits the side of the nose of my plane. Sensing my trouble, the boomer comes on freq and says "1, just stabilize it into contact, follow the director lights, and I got you from there." I mentally kick myself for not being smooth at this critical point, and settle down. I move back into contact staring only at the director lights underneath the KC-10 and disregarding the refueling boom. Up/down light is steady green, while the fore/aft light is flashing yellow with the yellow "A" illuminated indicating I need to move aft about 2 feet. (On the tankers, there's two sets of lights underneath the jet, sorta a VASI if you will, the left set indicate down/up, the right set indicate fore/aft. Read from left to right..and back to front of the tanker, they read D-F-U-A....or an easy acronym to remember their meaning since they're not always clearly marked : Don't F*** Up Again). I move the throttle back a knob width and start drifting aft until the right director light goes from yellow to a steady green. I then see the boom maneuver into the nose receptacle, and with a CLUNK, I feel the hook up and see the "READY" status light next to the HUD change to "CONNECTED". I focus on flying good formation with the tanker and take a quick glance down and to my right to the fuel totalizer and see it increase by 100 lbs. I call "good flow", and the JP begins flowing. Soon, the "L MAIN FUEL LOW" light flickers and goes out, followed about 10 seconds by the other one for the right. I take 1000 more pounds above this, putting me at 2600 total, and punch the disconnect button on the stick, separating from the boom. I move out to the right, and make room for my wingman to connect. He moves into contact and misses once, settles, and connects with the boom on the second try. He goes ahead and tops off, while I move to a position abeam and slightly aft so I can be back in when he's complete. The flow rate is running slow for him filling up, or so it seems to me at least, but the boomer finally calls "no flow" indicating he's topped off. He disconncts and moves left and aft to take up a bastardized observation position. I move back in, and a little less stressed now, hook up the first time with 2300 showing on the totalizer. We were only fragged to take 6000 pounds of fuel each, but the tanker generously let us take what we needed. I was able to fill up from here, 11,000 pounds total. I disconnected, and thanked the tanker crew for the double-save, telling them they did a [censored]-hot job, drinks are on me it I ever make it to their base (they were based out-of-country). I get the "all in a night's work....now back to the boredom of the holding pattern....have a good night and happy hunting." With that, I began a descent to gain 2000 feet separation from the tanker so I could separate my own flight into a station-keeping formation. I glance up as the tanker disappears into the clouds and rain, climbing back to it's designated holding track and up into VMC to await the next customer....likely F-15s or 16s that can actually make it up to altitude where the WX is VMC to refuel.

I separate my wingman into a 2-4 mile trail and 1000' altitude stack, and we head to the IAF at our primary field and hold to wait out the WX. 45 minutes of holding in driving rain, IMC, we get approach clearance since WX has supposedly increased to viz mins (ceiling and viz are required, ceiling was barely good, we were awaiting the viz). My number 2 is 1000 feet lower than me in the hold, so he penetrates first and 5 minutes later, I get approach clearance. I hear him call the missed as I'm coming down the intermediate segment from the 20 DME arc to final (this is a non-precision TACAN. PAR is down). I get down the final leg to MDA and drive it into the VDP, seeing intermittent ground, but resisting the urge to duck-under, especially seeing as how I still had another 1+10 of fuel still; definately no need to pull crazy stunts. I look through the NVGs and look underneath them to see if I can "see" through the WX any better with one or the other, but still see nothing. Passing the VDP, I stay level and drive it to the missed approach point. Commencing missed at that point, I catch a quick glance of some helos parked on the ramp under the dim glow of the field below me. As soon as I see it, it's gone as I commence my missed and climb. #2 decides to get radar vectors back to final, and I follow him into the radar pattern. He gets vectored back, and I hear him land and rollout on approach frequency (we're the only two planes flying at 0200). I come down the final approach path and passing FAF, drive it down to the MDA quick-like to get the maximum time to find the runway. About 0.5 miles from the VDP, I see the field through the NVGs, and commence descent passing the VDP. I touch down in the rain and rollout, noting that the braking action is fair as the jet cruises through puddles of standing water on the runway. I tell approach good night and let them know I'm changing to ground as I clear at the end of the runway. Taxiing into dearm, I have my first chance to relax. I note the takeoff time, and come up with 5.3 total, 4.9 actual instrument, 4.0 NVG, 2 air refuelings, and 2 instrument approaches. I'm physically beat as the dearm crew hooks up to my jet and states "all switiches off/safe/normal, sir? So how was your night, anything exciting?"

I never did find out who that tanker crew was. If I can, I have some primo bottles of hootch, ala Gentleman Jack and more, that I need to give them.

If there's two groups of pilots/crews that never need to buy drinks, and are at the top of the list of importance, IMO, that's tanker crews and rescue crews. They're the ones that deserve the press and glamour, as do other crews for the fine job they do. No transports, no tankers, no rescue...ain't no fighters going to be able to prosecute any war.

Re: IMC pucker factor

Awesome MikeD! Keep it comin' bro!

Dude,

I am sweating bullets jsut reading that. Outstanding stuff !

So what happened next, unkie Mikey? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Awesome stories, MikeD.

So, did you really log the actual?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
. As I approach the boom, in the heat of the moment, I'm unknowlingly focused only on the boom and trying to plug into it myself, disregarding the director lights on the bottom of the tanker that are telling me that I'm moving too far forward for the boom limits. I miss again, and feel the boom "clunk-thunk-thunk" as it hits the side of the nose of my plane. Sensing my trouble, the boomer comes on freq and says "1, just stabilize it into contact, follow the director lights, and I got you from there."

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it just me or does this read like a sordid romance novel and not a combat sortie. I know I'm hopeless. Great read either way Mike ... any suggestions for me flying the same airpspace without the refueling option.

Jim

Mike D I want the first copy of your book if you ever write one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sounds like some pretty intense fun stuff! All you needed was a SAM warning to really get the ol' heart rate up! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Great reading Mike, please tell us more. The first account you write about struck a chord with me. I spent 9 years working as an Assistant Air Traffic Controller in the RAF. I hope that "Apprentice Controller" was given some kind of commendation after demonstrating such quick thinking.

[ QUOTE ]
Great reading Mike, please tell us more. The first account you write about struck a chord with me. I spent 9 years working as an Assistant Air Traffic Controller in the RAF. I hope that "Apprentice Controller" was given some kind of commendation after demonstrating such quick thinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe he should get a pat on the back - he did his job!!!

Should the tanker crew get a Distinguished Flying Cross for ensuring that the A-10's were tanked?

[ QUOTE ]
Mike D I want the first copy of your book if you ever write one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a far cry from being anywhere in the league of Len Morgan, Gordon Baxter, Barry Schiff, Stephen Coonts, or Rick Drury.

I've had a little time as of late. When I was in Iraq, and Afghanistan before that, and even Korea before that, I had a little notebook that I'd jot down mission information of flights I flew....the basics of the flight, anything unusual from them, hours, etc. And I stil have my flight cards from most flights, and especially the ones that were interesting. I've had time as of late to pull all this jumble of stuff from the box it's been stored in, and start remembering some of the situations I'd been in. Situations that were out of the ordinary, situations where I learned yet another gem or two to put into my flying experience "bag of tricks", situations where I did things right, situations where I screwed up, funny events, tragic events, the good and the bad times. All of that is sitting in this one box among my notes and lineup cards. I've been trying to make some sort of organization with them lately.

Darn MikeD.. i felt like I was flying from my desk this morning while I was reading it.... friggin amazing !!!

18 December 2002. Location: Bagram Airbase, Afghanistan. I've been in theatre here for the past 4 months. My unit had all but stood down and the last of our A-10s had departed for Kuwait, on their way back to the US. During the past two weeks, we had been swapping out with the Air National Guard (ANG) unit from Willow Grove, Pennsylvania that had replaced us here. They had arrived at Kuwait from the US, and due to ramp space limitations at Bagram, we'd swap planes two-for-two every few days. Two of their aircraft would launch from Kuwait to Bagram, while two of our jets would launch the other direction. Soon, all of my squadron's jets were gone and the replacement jets and personnel were in place. Myself and one other pilot were all that was left of the active-duty contingent seeing to the last details of moving our final maintenance personnel and equipment out of Afghanistan in the coming 5 days. In that time, we still filled-in on the flight schedule flying as wingmen for the incoming ANG pilots, me assigned to the night schedule, while the other guy was assigned to days. The concept was that we'd be the experienced wingman, so far as knowlege of the area of operations, flying with the "new" flight leads during their local area orientation flights, which are also their first combat flights in-theatre. We flew their unit's aircraft since ours were gone.

Bagram AB (ICAO: OAIX) was sort of a weird place. The first weird thing was the odd time zone. Bagram's time zone was UTC+ 4:30, so whereas everywhere else varies from GMT by an even hour...for example Arizona being GMT minus 7 hours, Bagram was the first place I'd seen that varied by the half-hour too. Bagram was an old Soviet airbase that was used by the same during the Afghanistan incursion of 1979 through the late 1980s. As so, there were numerous carcasses of old Soviet aircraft all over the airfield.....everything from Sukoi SU-22 Fitter fighter-bombers, to Antonov An-12 Cub transports sitting derelict all over the airfield. Bagram also sat in a valley surrounded by distant mountains. The field elevation was 4895' MSL, runway 3/21 with 9852' x 180'. The distant mountains surrounding the field peaked at above 17,000 MSL, so high that it caused three major problems: 1) If you bailed out of your jet and landed up there, especially this time of year, you'd freeze your butt off. 2) The ejection seat has an internal altimeter that auto-deploys your parachute at @14,000 MSL. Consequently, it doesn't know the terrain below you is far above 14K; so it was crucial that you manually deployed your parachute immediately post-ejection, lest you become a splat-mark on the hillside as the altimeter waits for 14K MSL to deploy your chute, and you've already impacted granite. Problem is, with the sheer forces involved in ejection seat usage, blacking-out is a common occurance during the event....not good here. 3) If you landed anywhere near the peaks, chances are, YOU'D have to hike DOWN to the rescue helicopter yourself due to the helo's service ceiling limitations.

This night, I was assigned as #2 sitting GCAS alert. GCAS is the acronym for Ground Close Air Support, and denotes our mission. Other jets would fly normal scheduled patrol flights around the area of operations (AO) looking for targets of opportunity, as well as responding to any call for help by the various ground units located throughout the country. As ground alert, our aircraft sat "cocked", or preflighted with our gear (harness, g-suit, pubs/maps, and survival vest) hanging on the boarding ladder, while I wore my sidearm in my personalized shoulder rig. Looking at the WX that night, it was still OVC020 over our base and in the valley, rising as you went further south in the country. It was cold as heck and was starting to lightly snow. Seeing that, I chose to leave my equipment in the cockpit seat under the closed canopy. We would hang out in an "alert shack", a large room next to the squadron operations room on the bottom floor of the ATC tower. It was complete with a triple-tier bunk bed, a TV/DVD with a variety of movies, some original and others being various bootlegs of a variety of types. It was coming up on 8 hours into my 12 hour shift.

I was laying on the bottom bunk, in the middle of watching "Blood Guts Bullets and Octane", when the klaxon horn blares and the duty officer kicks the door open and says "alert's, you're a launch...check in with Tombstone (the ASOC, or Air Support Ops Center) for the tasking". My lead was in the squadron ops room and we joined up as we went running out to the alert vehicle, an old 1986 Dodge Ram pickup. We sped out the parking lot and turned onto the flight-line. The Security Police cop at the flightline entry point had already gotten the word of our scramble and waved us through as I saw the maintenance folks running out to the jets to get the APUs started so the INSs could begin aligning. We parked the pickup and ran to our individual aircraft. As I arrived at my jet, the crew chief had my harness, vest, and g-suit out and at ground level so I could suit-up quickly. I zipped up the g-suit, removed my shoulder holster rig and threw on the survival vest, put the shoulder rig on over that, then donned the parachute harness, clicking the various buckles that would keep it secured to me. I scrambled up the ladder and hopped into the seat, which now had a light sprinkling of snow covering it making my butt wet and cold. As I rapidly strapped into my seat belt, parachute, and survival kit fittings, I simultaneously flipped the switch to motor the #1 engine, and at 10%, threw the left throttle over the hump to idle as I got my flight helmet on and plugged in. The #1 coughed with a good light and fired up uneventfully, belching white smoke from it's hot section. As I got the #2 engine up and running, the INS timed-out and I hear "Misty, check" over the UHF. I dutifully respond with "2", and see lead's crew chief pulling his chocks. I tell my crew chief, who's connected via a comm cord, he's cleared to unplug and pull chocks. He responds with "copy that capt., go git em" and unplugs. I feel the chocks being kicked out from the against the tires and in seconds, the crew chief is marshalling me forward to follow lead's jet, which is already taxiing out to Last Chance. As briefed, I switch over to ASOC frequency and get the mission information as lead goes through Last Chance and gets his munitions armed up. When your jet is getting armed, your hands must be in sight and no switches manipulated or radio calls made, lest there be a stray queer tron that accidently fires or drops something from the jet. ASOC advises me that there's a friendly unit about 110 miles away near the Pakistan border at a small Forward Operating Base (FOB) known as Lwara, that has come under sporadic mortar and machine gun fire and was in need of assistance. I copy down the coordinates, callsign of the unit, frequency, and remarks from the ASOC controller. As lead taxies out of Last Chance and I taxi in, I relay this information to him before the crews begin arming me up, and in no time, I'm ready to go. Lead changes us to tower freq, and we're cleared for immediate takeoff. We enter the runway with me beside him, run up the engines and lead rolls. 20 seconds later, I release brakes and check the time in the HUD. As I rotate and get airborne into the dark-as-hell night, I note that it was only 7 minutes and 33 seconds ago that I was sitting on a bunkbed watching a movie.

Climbing out, we immediately switch to AWACS frequency and check in with our callsign and mission info. The Royal Air Force (RAF) crew on the AWACS, callsign Saxon, was already expecting us and they cleared us direct to the target area, advising us that they have no further updates for the situation at hand. In this dark night environment, akin to flying over the middle of the Atlantic Ocean at night, task prioritization is key. Aviate, Navigate, Communicate, in that order, is name of the game. Both lead and myself are running with no external lighting, but under the NVGs I can still make out the glow from the heat of his jet engines. The way NVGs work is that they significantly magnify existing light, from stars/moon etc, in order to create the image of near day conditions. On a full moon night, it will seem almost like daytime looking through them. Tonight, there was no moon and no stars due to the thick overcast, hence, there still wasn't a damn thing to see. Looking at the ground looked the same whether through the NVGs or under them: blackness. I cross-check the air-air TACAN to ensure that I'm 2-4 miles in trail. TACAN is the same as the civilian VORTAC, and has an additional feature allowing two aircraft to select frequencies 63 channels apart, and receive DME in relation to other aircraft. As we proceed south at max speed, AWACS clears us off to the ground unit's frequency. I quickly crosscheck my map. The particular area we're headed to contains a small US outpost located on the Pakistan border, and surrounded by hilly/moderately mountainous terrain. In my over 4 months in-country, I'd been to this particular place many a time on my regular night patrols, and recognized a number of the ground Forward Air Conrollers (FACs) by voice. I'd provided support on a number of occasions to the guys there, but never on a dark night like this one. Conversly, my flight lead was on his second flight in-country and his first night flight here; having only arrived 3 days prior. This was his first combat mission, and he was only loosely familiar with the AO. I could imagine his cockpit being pretty busy about now. As we continued south, passing off my 4 o'clock were the lights of the capital city of Kabul, the last, and really only, major area of any kind in this vast country. Off my distant east was the well lit Pakistani city of Peshawar. To the south was dark nothingness under a heavy overcast and light snow, and that's where we were directly headed.

Off in the distance of nothingness, appears a faint something. It almost looks like St Elmos fire dancing around. My lead and I are coordinating on our interflight radio, crosschecking the map location, and quickly reviewing available tactics to use. As we're doing this, I glance out ahead, and through the HUD, can again make out what appears to St. Elmos fire, but isn't. As we get closer, all thoughts of St. Elmos fire are erased, as it becomes clear that what I'm seeing are tracers from automatic weapons fire, generally oriented northeast/southwest. Lead gives a call on the designated UHF freq: "Playboy 33, Misty 11". No answer, we're still too far out apparently. Approaching 20 miles from the area, it's now very apparent that there's a serious situation going on down there. The tracers are heavy coming from the northeast, while the return fire from where I now know the friendly camp to be is somewhat lesser. Additionally, I can see strobe-light looking glows appear on the southwest side of the fighting. The scene is difficult to describe, but is akin to a fireworks show gone freaking insane, with roman candles shooting in every direction on the ground. Lead tries the call again, "Playboy, Misty 11". Immediately we get a response. "Misty 11, Playboy, we got a serious situation here," the guy on the radio is yelling. "We're under automatic weapons fire at this time from our north. What's your location and what you got?" Normally, in Close Air Support, there's a standard litany of information that's passed back and forth when checking in with a ground unit, and prior to expending munitions. Called the "9-line", it's 9 essential elements of coordination information passed from the ground unit to the supporting aircraft. It contains such items as target coordinates, target elevation, target type, friendly location, any restrictions, any marking devices to be used, heading and distance to the target if running in from an initial point, etc. Right now, there was not really any time to go through a standard coordination drill, and most of the information we would need was readily apparent just by what we were looking at here on the ground. In all reality and in this particular situation, most of the elements of the 9-line we could get simply by looking down at the ground. We had the elevation off our topo maps already. Getting to within 5 miles of the target now, the ground battle was readily apparent. Even with not being able to really see the ground well through the NVGs because of the darkness, I already knew that the camp was under fire from hillside positions to the north, due to my previous familiarity with the area. We continued our coordination. "Misty, Playboy, we're taking a beating from the hills to our north, heavy fire. You got that area in sight? We need that supressed" the FAC asked. "Affirmative," lead answers "I'm contact that, we can be in in 1 mike with strafe, what restrictions you got for us?" The FAC read us the restrictions of northwest to southeast or vice-versa, in order to keep stray rounds from hitting friendlies. What was so surreal about this situation was the fact that from my jet, I could look down on the area we were orbiting and see what could only be described as a beautiful lightshow. The significance of the destruction being sent back and forth down there was only apparent each time the FAC keyed his mike. Each time he transmitted, automatic weapons, rifle fire, and men shouting could be loudly heard in the background. These sounds of close-in war, combined with the insane lightshow I was seeing, gave perspective to the gravity of the situation the troops below were involved in. The FAC keys up yelling into the mike (probably due to being nearly deaf from all the close gunfire), "Misty, Playboy, you got your restrictions, you're cleared hot, call in with direction and target in sight, you've.....INCOMING!" At that exact moment Playboy's radio cuts off, and I see what appears from my vantage point to be two bottle rockets zing across the ground from the hillside and impact the camp with two bright instantaneous glows. Simultaneously, Playboy had been talking into his handset to us, and had seen the RPG-7 rocket propelled grenades coming his way. I could hear the WHOOSH-BANG of the explosion as Playboy yelled the "INCOMING" warning to his comrades, while at the same time watching it happen from the air. It was completly surreal watching this battle unfold; the automatic weapons tracer fire continuing. Lead called to Playboy, "Misty, Playboy, you up? You alright?" No answer. In a few seconds, Playboy comes back up, yelling into the handset and somewhat incoherent with heavy breathing akin to someone just having been punched in the gut: "....you......copy? you're cleared.... hot...need the munitions now...Juliet Papa." The last part, Juliet Papa, were initials of the ground FAC. In close air support ops, if you're dropping bombs in support of troops-in-contact, they must give their initials over the radio as a confirmation that they know, approve, and accept the risk of you dropping munitions close to their position, mindful of the fact that they could potentially get hit. This was not only troops-in-contact, this was danger-close. The area the enemy was located was only about 700-800 metres from the friendly position. Considering that a 500 pound bomb has a minimum safe distance of 425 metres, there was no room for error here. As I set up my switches for my first pass, I mentally rehearsed the pilot prayer: "Please God, don't let me Foul up."

Lead and I quickly confirmed our game plan: we would start our first pass with strafe from the 30mm cannon and work from there. Tonight, my weapons loadout was 1170 rounds of 30mm gun, 2 Mk-82 500 pound bombs, 1 seven-shot pod of rockets, and 1 Maverick air-ground missile. I quickly double-check my switches: HUD set to GUNS, gunsight cross visible, backup manual gunsight mils dialed in in case the computed solution fails, 30mm cannon selected to ON/HIGH, MASTER ARM selected to ARM, green "GUN READY" light visible on the top center of the instrument panel. Ready to go there. Now maneuver into a good cover position a few miles lateral from the target as lead calls "Misty 1s in from the southeast hot, target in sight." "cleared....hot," comes the exhausted response from Playboy amid the ever-present staccato of gunfire in the background of his transmissions. I orbit the target area, watching for any signs of anti-aircraft fire that I'd need to call out to lead. I can't see his jet due to us being lights-out, but then again I don't really need to. I know the direction he's in from, and the direction he's off to; and the best thing I can do as cover, is to watch the overall target area for threats, not stare at his jet. I do see a quick midair glow, then see a number of what appear to be sparklers erupting on the hillside below....the explosions of the 30mm High Explosive Incendiary (HEI) rounds that lead just sent down to the ground. It didn't appear to be a very long burst, but the enemy fire appeared to subside on the southeastern tip of the hillside. Lead called "off target, west," just as Playboy, watching our strike, came up with "....2, work further north from there along the hill...." I acknowleged Playboy's correction and further advised that I was "15 seconds from the southeast." Shortly thereafter, I called "2s in from the southeast, target in sight." "You're cleared hot 2," came the reply. Right now, the target was just on my left canopy rail, where I'd maintained it throughout my left-hand orbit. I looked left at where I wanted to go, and rolled into a 140 degree bank, simultaneously cracking the throttles back to half and letting the nose fall through the horizon, pulling it up in a slicing maneuver through 70 degrees nose low towards the target as I rolled wings-level; stabilized in a level, 50-degree dive. You want to talk about spatial-D inducing. This certainly ranks up there with the dark conditions we were in. I cross-check the instruments and note the altimeter rapidly unwinding, going full-circle counter-clockwise about once a second. I'd rolled in at 17,000, and was now passing 14,000 in a 50 degree dive. I fan out the speed brakes as the airspeed begins passing 370 knots, while simultaneously centering-up the target in the gunsight. BRRRRRRRRRRRIPPPPPPP goes the cannon as I squeeze the trigger, sending 70 rounds per second down into the hillside below. I see the enemy tracer fire still going as my rounds impact like so many sparklers...reminding me of a dark concert hall with tons of camera flashbulbs going off. I keep the trigger squeezed and move the stick forward and aft about one inch, spreading out the death and destruction on the hillside instead of just keeping it focused on one area. When shooting tanks or armored vehicles, you want to concentrate your gunfire, commonly known as track-shoot-track. Here, I wanted to spread the bullets....share the love, if you will...with as many of the enemy as I could. I held the trigger for what seemed like an eternity, getting blinded by the flame now coming from the front of the jet. As my NVGs began to gain-down from the gun flame, I began to be able to see less and less, sort of like squinting your eyes and trying to look around. Mindful that I was screaming towards mountainous terrain in a 50 degree dive with airspeed now 440 knots and the altimeter wildly spinning through 8000 feet, I came off the gun trigger and hauled the stick into my lap, shoving the throttles forward as the jet swapped ends. I pulled up into a 40 degree climb and rolled into a 90 degree left bank, letting the nose fall to the horizon as I re-entered my left-hand orbit of the target. I call "2s off west," as Playboy again comes back with a correction for our hits. Looking at the gun rounds counter, I mentally note that I'd expended 430 rounds on that pass.

Playboy wants more gun strafe put on the target, and lead and I set up to do it again. Once again assuming the cover role, I continue to orbit the target as lead gets set up for his second gun pass. Looking down at the target area, I can see that there's still enemy fire coming from the northern side of the hill, though the overall volume is less than what it was before. Lead gets to his roll-in point and calls in from the southeast again. He receives a cleared-hot from Playboy, who informs us that "we can see numerous enemy still on the hill area and looks like they're tying to move..." I watch as he shoots, his rounds hitting mid-point of the hillside as he pulls off his pass. He calls off-target to the west again, and Playboy comes on freq with a request: "2, can you give me those bombs on this next pass? I wanna waste the hillside. We still got movers up there firing...and we're heading towards that location....be no more than 50 meters from the camp" I respond with affirmative and ask if I can be in from the south this next pass.....both to give me a varied run-in heading (don't want to do the same tactics too many times), and to buy me a little more breathing room distance-wise from the friendlies, who were now starting to fan-out of the camp perimeter. I go back and reset my switiches for bombs now: HUD set to CCIP, 30mm cannon still set to ON as backup, weapons stations 4 and 8 selected, fuzing set to RIPPLE-SINGLE, 2 bombs selected with 31 millisecond interval, master arm checked in ARM, green "RR" ready lights on the bomb panel. Passing on the south side of the target, I call "2s in from the south, target in sight," Playboy passes the "cleared hot" and I roll in. Same visual effects as before going down the chute into nothingness. I watch as I stabilize in a 50 degree dive again. The altimeter madly unwinds and the airspeed increases as I watch the bombsight, or "pipper", slowly track up the HUD to the area of enemy fire on the center of the hillside. As the pipper tracks over that point, I press the "pickle" button, and feel a slight jolt as the jet rids itself of two 500 pound bombs from it's underside. Pulling off target into a 30 degree climb and rolling back down to the horizon, I see my two bombs detonate: one on the center of the hill, and one on the northwest side of the hill; both creating a large "photoflash" effect as they explode. I immediately note that both bombs landed slightly left of where I'd aimed them....left being closer to the friendlies. Instantly, I get on the radio "Playboy, Misty 2, how were those bombs?" Static. No response from Playboy. Nothing but static. A huge lump appeared in my throat. Immediately I come back with "Playboy, Misty 2, how'd those bombs look?" Nothing. "Playboy, Misty 2, acknowledge!" Still nothing but broken static. Looking down at the hillside, there were no more tracers......none from anywhere. A few fires burning here and there, but no signs of any fire, either from the enemy in the hills, or from the friendlies near the outpost. I was very worried now that I'd layed down the bombs too close to the friendlies. Gawd-dammit! Dammit to hell. Nothing can compare to the feeling that you'd just bombed your own troops, the very guys you came to support. "Playboy, Misty 2, what's your SITREP?" (SITuation REPort). Nothing. Then all of a sudden there's the sound of a mike keying. Once, twice. Then Playboy comes up: "2.....good hits, we're still hunkering down...we still got shrapnel raining down here, but the hillside is gone! Break, break...1 put your bombs on the far northside of the hill...." You can't believe how relieved I was.....it was like a huge ton of bricks had been removed from my chest. Damn that was close....too close for comfort. Lead ended up expending his bombs on the north side of the hill and we each made two more passes, expending our rockets and some more gun on the eastern side of the hill "near the border", in order to try and get anyone attempting to escape back across the Pakistani border.

Following that, Playboy reported all-clear and thanked us for the help. He promised to forward the BDA (Bomb Damage Assessment) as soon as he could get it come daylight, and cleared us off-target. We checked our switches safe, and proceeded to RTB (return to base) back to Bagram. As we climbed on a northbound course heading back to base, we checked back in with AWACS and gave our inflight report...indicating what we'd done in support of the tasking. AWACS acknowleged our report and advised us that Bagram was currently showing 400 scattered, 900 overcast visibility estimated 1-2 miles in light snow and fog. So what the hell else is new? Coming off the target, and with the adreniline high subsiding, fatigue began to set in. I was near the end of my designated alert shift, and was simply tired. Just make the landing, do the debrief with intel, turn in my tape, and I can hit the sack. The only instrument approaches at Bagram AB are a TACAN to RW 3, and a PAR to RW 3. As we change to approach, we're now above the thick overcast layer that appears to start at about 14,000 MSL. ATC clears us for the PAR, and lead clears me off, now breaking the formation into two individual aircraft. Lead begins following vectors for the GCA penetration, and I'm sent to the TACAN IAF to hold. Prepping for the approach, I run through my descent checklist: Pitot heat- ON, all external lights-OFF, TACAN tune/ID/monitor, WX noted, Holding instructions complying with, awaiting clearance push time, letdown plate review for the backup TACAN approach, note the PAR DH, aircraft descent check completed, on-speed for the segment of the approach....in this case, slowed for holding. In fact, I'm holding at 200 knots in order to save fuel. One of the most important things to do when holding is to save fuel. No need to hold too fast unless aircraft requirements dictate. Fuel was currently 2300 lbs, good for about 45 minutes...enough for one approach, then hit the airborne KC-135 tanker that was orbiting in the southwestern tanker track if need be. Not in any extreme situation right now, but no time to dilly-dally around either.

Since only one aircraft can come down the final approach path at one time on a GCA approach, I end up doing about 4 laps in holding, burning about 200 lbs as lead gets inside 3 miles or so for landing. ATC clears me for the approach and begins vectoring me to the final approach course and clears me down to 9000 feet. Rolling out on the intercept heading, I begin my descent and enter the soup at 13,000. I'm flying on NVGs, which when looking out the front windscreen only gives a "Star Wars" effect with the snowflakes blowing past the canopy. Looking underneath the goggles, there's nothing but blackness ahead, and I concentrate on keeping my instrument cross-check going on the panel. Approach hands me off to the final controller, and the final controller checks me in: "Misty 2, Bagram final controller, how do you copy?" I respond with "Misty 2, have you 5 by 5." Controller responds with "Misty 2, position 9 miles from the field, right of course and correcting." I crack the throttles back and when below 200 kts, lower the landing gear and drop the flaps to the second detent of full down, or 20 degrees. I slow to final approach speed and lead the level off to 9000 feet. As I near the final approach course, the controller gives me a turn onto the final heading. I double-check the HSI, and note it's 3/4 dot width deflection, which makes sense since the TACAN final course and PAR final course are a few degrees off of each other. Nearing the descent point, the controller calls "slightly right of course and holding, turn left heading 027, begin descent now." I make a quick left stick movement and center. I have the heading set marker on the HSI set to the final approach course. Out of habit, on an ILS or PAR, I'll only maneuver within the bounds of the heading set marker to correct the localizer...about 3 degrees each side of center. As the localizer azimuth gets smaller and smaller the closer you get to the runway, any more of a correction than that is too much. I establish 4 degree nose low descent for about 400 feet/NM descent rate. The controller calls "On course, slightly above glidepath and descending, 4 miles from touchdown.........Misty 2.......Misty 2 radar contact lost, climb and maintain 6500, fly runway heading." Not wanting to go around, and already set up for the TACAN if I need to do it, I ask "Misty 2, request TACAN" The final controller responds "Misty 2, cleared TACAN runway 3, our PAR just went down. You're still cleared to land runway 3." Crap. Inside 3 miles isn't the place to be swapping instrument approaches, but I didn't want to remain in the soup and go around, especially when I can't dick around with the fuel right now. I quickly check the approach plate and come left to center-up the TACAN CDI. I know I'm inside the FAF, and I quickly crosscheck the MDA as the plane is still descending. Noting that I still have about 800 feet to go to MDA, I drop the descent rate to about 1500 fpm and check the DME. Crap again! I'm rapidly approaching the VDP, and I still am not at MDA.....worse yet, I'm still popeye....or in the soup. Passing the VDP, I slowly breakout about 300 feet above the MDA and level out at MDA.Seeing the field, I'm in no position to land, but I don't want to go around. One more option. "Approach, Misty 2, request circle-to-land runway 21." "Misty 2, circle south, runway 21, cleared to land," responds the approach controller. Crap. Now how to make this work? Nothing like putting yourself in a square corner, but hell I was there already....had been for the past few minutes, so what's one more monkey on my back gonna hurt? I immediately check 30 degrees right and begin setting up for a quasi-teardrop left base to runway 21. I climb the few hundred feet back up to circling MDA and accelerate to final turn speed...15 knots above final approach speed, and end up flying through scattered, wispy stuff. As I pass abeam the field, I start to slowly lose the field in the light snow and request approach to turn on the runway lights. Since I'd been landing under NVGs, the airfield lighting had been turned off so as not to washout the goggles. The runway lights came on, and though only low- intensity, were somewhat of a help. Now mind you, flying on NVGs is difficult enough. You only have a very limited field of view, and passing abeam the approach end of RW 21, I couldn't crank my neck far enough to the left to keep the runway in sight through them. So, I swung them upwards and out of the way, transitioning to a purely visual circling. This took a couple of seconds to adapt to. Just before, some of the cultural lighting of buildings at the airfield were reflecting off the undercast, and providing light enough for me to see the ground from the NVGs. Taking them off, I could now only see blackness, and at the airfield, could only see dim runway lights and a few building lights. With the viz starting to decrease, there was no way I was going to be able to use my 2.3 SM of guaranteed circling distance for Category D. Because of this, I roll left and begin my turn back to the runway to line up for 21. Remaining mindful that I was only 800 AGL, half of the normal 1500 AGL VFR pattern, I worked on keeping the jet level and not letting it enter an insidious descent based on false visual cues. Additionally, the runway had no VASIs or PAPIs, and was simply a string of runway lights surrounded by blackness, so the tendency to want to land short had to be avoided as well. Lining up on an arcing 1 mile final, I rolled wings level just prior to touchdown about 1500 ft down, and slightly fast. Braking action was fair to poor, but there was enough runway to work with, and the barndoor speedbrakes of the A-10 help slow it down tremendously. I turned off at the second to last taxiway, and as soon as I cleared, the runway lights shut off again. I dropped the NVGs back down, and proceeded with the after landing checklist as I slowly taxiied on the slick and dark taxiway back to dearm. As I pulled into dearm, I noticed my lead taxiing in to his parking slot. Mission done. Total time 2.2, 0.7 actual, 1 target destroyed, 2 bombs/7 rockets/740 rounds of gun expended, 1 bastardized combo precision/non-precision PAR/TACAN, and one definately non-standard last-minute circle-to-land. 1 pilot tired as hell.

Last edited:
Back