"I'm so glad we're not flying on one of dem turboprops!"

I personally know people who have purposely flown routes that are less than 500nm in planes as big as 767's!

It's done in Asia all the time:
744D

I believe Jakarta to Singapore (20 min flight) is still run about 9 times a day still with 777's and 747's by SIA. Of course that has nothing to do with the conversation at all, but since someone else started talking about Asian flights I thought I'd just go with the tangent.

I personally know a guy who flies intra-asia on a plane that dwarfs a 767 on routes far less than 500nm.

You know, just to keep in the Asia wide-body short haul theme...

He's really cool too....and has a hot wife.

Probably missing his point (just guessing). The implication was that the pilot in question was acting as a passenger. Just warming the seat while the airplane brought him from point A to point B, rather than being prepared for some eventuality that might require a diversion.

Yeah I understood that Zap. I found it funny because I went to high school, college + flight trained in that vast space of emptiness he called Mississippi.:)

Yeah because RJ's crash alllll the time.....
I hate to tell everyone this, but until the comair deal, there hadn't been a crash since the one in New York and that was....an airbus. How many RJ crashes can all of you count compaired to airbus,boeing,MD crashes....I wish everyone would lay off the RJ's and their pilots.

If you knew the guy I'm talking about, you would avoid RJ's too. I would literally get up and walk out of the plane if I saw him in the cockpit.

On the subject of the 1900, it was by far my favorite plane to deadhead on (in coach of course). The seat fits my back perfectly and I sleep like a baby on that thing. I loved flying the ATR but hated riding on it.

Zap has a very unique experience having flown at both levels of the profession. I see it in my job now. It you were an SOP guy at the previous company you weren't "the cool kid". Now, if you don't follow SOP at the current gig, you are the "cool kid" that got fired. I think a lot of people could take Zap's comments to heart. Take the emotion out and have a good long look around.

Even though I could spout off the waypoints on R220 or G212 from memory, the chart is out all the time, every time. That goes for the guys I fly with as well. We are also constantly making a conscious effort to verbalize and keep very close track of our en route alternates. We simply HAVE to know where we are going if we are on fire and it has to be an instant decision. Therefore, the decision is being made constantly even if nothing is happening. Keep this in mind, NO airliner has made it longer than 19 minutes with a cargo fire burning. You have 19 minutes or less to get on the ground and evacuated, even with fire suppression.

Now for the fun stuff. Passengers are not the only ones that make you wonder sometimes. I constantly get asked if I am a flight engineer on the -400 by major airline pilots. I tell them of course not, I mean do I look uncivilised like...say...Polar742?! I even have my pipe and they ask these things. I didn't even have any pit stains or oil on my smoking jacket! The nerve of these people.

The best one was a very young major FO that looked like he stole daddy's uniform out of the closet. He asked me who I flew for and then decided to educate me on how to get to a major airline and how one day I would have the knowledge to pilot the 737 like him. He turned awfully red when the Captain actually knew who we were and asked about the job. The now red faced FO just slipped on down the jetway.

Passengers always have comments. They don't know any better and they paid for the ticket. I've had people on the upper deck demand to be moved to the bigger part of the plane :banghead:

rjmore said:
We are also constantly making a conscious effort to verbalize and keep very close track of our en route alternates. We simply HAVE to know where we are going if we are on fire and it has to be an instant decision.

That sounds like a lot of work. I thought y'all just hit the autopilot and started the crossword? ;)

The best one was a very young major FO that looked like he stole daddy's uniform out of the closet. He asked me who I flew for and then decided to educate me on how to get to a major airline and how one day I would have the knowledge to pilot the 737 like him. He turned awfully red when the Captain actually knew who we were and asked about the job. The now red faced FO just slipped on down the jetway.
NetJets pilots have been getting that line from Regional pilots for the last year or so. Many came from the pilot factories and haven't heard of NJA. When the regional guys don't recognize the name, they tell them how great their carrier is and how they should submit a resume. They usually get a puzzled (are you crazy) look or a laugh from the NJA pilots. After the usual battery of questions, they quietly return to their "office."

Anybody who doesn't know who CX or NJA is an idiot.

You'd be VERY surprised how many times I get blank stares. I can expect it from the passengers since we don't have that much passenger traffic in the US, but from other pilots is another story. Might be the goatee that's throwing them off ;)

Worked for Michael Knight.

garthknight1145124028.bmp

All this talk about RJs and TPs has got me reminicsing...when I flew the Beech, it was a continuous soundtrack to Top Gun and everynight was dress whites and chicks. Nowadays my index fingertip is sore and I feel noncurrent!

You'd be VERY surprised how many times I get blank stares. I can expect it from the passengers since we don't have that much passenger traffic in the US, but from other pilots is another story. Might be the goatee that's throwing them off ;)

But CX has been one of the premiere airlines in the world for a long time, you guys aren't some new airline.

Back